“Good food, family run, good service”

Les Cocottes du cul de poule
Reserve with
Les Cocottes du cul de poule is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 514 Restaurants in Reims
Price range: USD 12 - USD 20
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

Was visiting champagne region and touring the wineries at Reims. Found this little place on TripAdvisor and it did not disappoint. The goat cheese with the saffron balsamic vinegar and olive oil was outstanding. The steak was good and dessert was amazing!

Our server Sofie spoke good English and was very sweet and helpful.

Reviewed 28 December 2015

We had a large family gathering here and it was fabulous. They charged corkage for our own champagne which we brought in but the price was reasonable. They had a set menu for €26 for two courses and €30 to include dessert. The food presentation was amazing - really beautiful plates of food. My options were limited as I was pregnant so I missed out on some of the amazing raw seafood dishes on offer - the scallops looked devine. My starter was delicious but not quite as described as I was expecting a risotto and it was more macaroni than pasta. That being said the menu was very playful so it was described as being "a child friendly risotto". Meanwhile the main event was dessert. I ordered the combination plate which had three of the desserts from the menu- I was expecting a small cafe gourmand but what I got was way better. The apple dessert had the most amazing caramel icecream, the black Forrest dessert had to die for chocolate mousse and the lemon dessert was lovely and zingy with a beautiful soft custard. Really really beautiful meal with great service!

1  Thank DindyDoodle
Reviewed 24 April 2015 via mobile

Delicious, best crumble ever! We gave been delighted to dine there. Nice atmosphere, great service and service and water included! Perfect evening

Reviewed 9 November 2014

A mini-break in the Champagne region. Hotels were booked up in Eparnay so here we are in Reims. A quick survey of Tripadvisor a few days in advance had most of the top-ranked restaurants booked out. It’s possibly because Tuesday is a holiday, Armistice Day, and people are taking off Monday and doing the ‘pont’ (bridge).

Tripadvisor in France partners with the Fork, and it seems a pretty canny business, to be able to tell me on any given night which restaurant will take my reservation. I worry about them shutting out the restaurants that don’t work with them, but in general, I have terrible trouble trying to make reservations in France. Places are always booked up, and I still need to train myself to try to organise at least a week in advance…

In any case, Au Cul de Poule was free to take our Saturday reservation and I was amused by the name. I didn’t look it up to find that the bottom or tail end of a hen is somehow the name for a mixing bowl. We had an interesting walk through Reims, about 25 minutes from the train station, to find ‘At the mixing bowl’. I much preferred our own previous translation: Chicken Butt.

The restaurant is bright yet cosy, with a theme of almost electric blue. The marvelous thing right off is they have a huge selection of champagne from the region, big names and small names. I was completely lost but asked for a suggestion for a cheaper one, somewhere around 50 euros, and the very efficient waitress suggested this one for 43 euros. It was dry as a champagne should be, and we loved it.

We opted for the three course formula which at 30 euros is really, truly a great deal. The menu is a twist on the bistro: familiar items but with a twist. We found each dish not too heavy and quite interesting. My started was a buttery stew of escargot and mushrooms; S’s was a clam risotto which he liked a lot.

His main was ‘dos de lieu’ which I think is hake, in a foie gras sauce. A nice texture, but he felt it was a little bland. It was served with a serving of chopped endives, pleasantly sweet. I adored my main: ‘poitrine de cochon’ sounded to me like the chest of pork… but is actually pork belly, cooked for 24 hours. With an absolutely delicious mash and thick sauce, it was dee-licious.

Desserts were impressive. Mine was a mille-feuille, which they called instead 500 feuille. Freshly baked pastry with a very light pistachio cream, raspberries and berry (or plum?) sorbet. Visually appealing, light and not too sweet. S’s dessert, something like Paris-Ile de Ré, was also a pastry filled with crème anglaise, salted caramel ice cream. Oh and more cream.

Oh, and I do need to comment on the service, exceptionally efficient, and also friendly and welcoming. Tip top. All in all, a very pleasant meal. Cheers to champagne!

1  Thank Quanster
Reviewed 4 November 2014

We went to this restaurant for my birthday, I had read many reviews for restaurants in Reims and this one did not disappoint. The service was grey,the lady that served us all evening was fantastic especially as there were a few difficulties with the menu for our party of a vegetarians and food intolerance's but they really were great. The menu was small but unique, we had the the 3 courses for €30. My dessert was to die for, it was the lemon shortbread on the menu if you do choose to go there! We only had one small issue, one of the guys didn't get what he ordered but it wasn't a problem and was still good.
The restaurant was about a 5 min taxi from the centre or a 20 minute walk. Would highly recommend this restaurant, overall a nice atmospheres, good value for money and great food.