“Just another hotel, but the restaurant is amazing!!!”
Review of Le Medicis Hotel

Le Medicis Hotel
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Blois
Reviewed 15 October 2011

As far as the hotel goes, it is a nice, small, clean hotel that you can stay in. Sadly, it is a bit out of the centre of town, but a 10-min walk gets you to all the main places to see, so it isn't too bad. Rooms apparently are soundproof, and I can vouch that it was nice and quiet in our room. The bathtub jacuzzi was nice to relax our muscles after long days of cycling. I will say that the staff is exceptional, always friendly & helpful, and they spoke English really well (so sad that I stumbled through very basic French).

Now to the main attraction: the restaurant. Never in a million years would I have guessed this non-descript hotel/restaurant would be among the best gastronomic experiences of any of my visits in France!!!! We had a nice table by the window and were promptly given a book of a wine list. So beautiful! (OK, I am a bit of a wine fanatic!). The most beautiful part of the list is the long list of local Loire Valley wines. And a very knowledgable sommelier/maitre'd who was eager to help with some suggestions based on our preferences for wine.

Each course was elegantly served. My husband, who is not really sentimental about food, actually said that he wished he could take a picture of his dish as it was a masterpiece (just looking at it!). And we both delved in to our foods....lamb for my husband and a fish dish for me. Both caused us to halt conversation and just enjoy the sensation of flavours in our mouths. The cheese plate was beautiful as well, and dessert was an experience--a chocolate hazlenut cake that was unbelievable. I sadly couldn't finish it all as I was so full...wish I would have asked for the rest of it to go!!! Prices were so reasonable, especially for what you got.

Go, stay and eat!!!

Room Tip: I hear room 211 is the biggest room...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed here and had an attic room. It was cozy but a bit dated--had the feel of a B&B. It was very easy to overlook the quarters because the hotel is run by a chef who also runs the kitchen and who produces stellar food. Absolutely suberb. A five star restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I have to highly recommend this restaurant. Absolutely delicious and well portioned courses. Service was exceptional, our waiter was very knowledgeable and his service was effortless and friendly. Unpretentious, cozy place. I will definitely have to go back to France to eat here again.

We also stayed in a room upstairs. Our room was nice and clean, not too big but that was fine for us.

Such a memorable experience!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mingimingi
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Low tech and unplanned vacation. Arrived in Bloise, this hotel and restaurant highly recommended by locals. Found it, checked in. The room for $120E plus tax for one person, was musty, tiny, worn bedding and overall appearance, so not worth the money. Checked out immediately. Restaurant menu looks very gourmet, did not stay to find out.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank sfeiten
Reviewed 25 January 2011

We stayed here last year as a stopover on route further south. We were originally going to stay 2 nights but our plans unavoidably changed so we had to cut short our stay which we had paid for in advance when we booked. The hotel reception assured us that a refund would not be a problem, but after countless phone calls (I speak fluent French) and emails for months we got absolutely nowhere. Our credit card company also failed spectacularly to get anything out of them either, to the point where it dragged on so long that eventually they said they could no longer pursue our case as it was time barred!!
We also got the lousy attic room. Utterly unimpressed.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family