All reviewsno elevatornarrow staircasean enjoyable eveninghotel restaurantold towncosts euroswithin the wallsferry portfree wifithe location is perfectdouble roomenjoyed our staywalled townyogurtrampartsgaragefloor
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Fantastic. Three of us. Two had fish. Amazing, pork was a little dry.
Desser choose Franzipan best dessert eaten in a very long time. Eton mess didn't look good.
Very long winded serving the drinks order but otherwise an enjoyable evening meal before going to theatre

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We paid extra for a sea view which translated onto an attic room 4 flights and 80 steps up no lift. Could have put up with the stairs but regularly bashing my head on the low sloping ceiling was not fun. As for the shower it was a 2ft by 2ft square cube with the shower controls jutting out so much that it was impossible to wash without catching the water temperature leaver either sending instant red hot or freezing cold water over you depending if you knoked it from the left or right. The irony is that they could have fitted a much bigger shower in the available space. 98 euros per night was expensive and made even worse by the bed which was very very uncomfortable and seemed to slope away from the window. Yes the view was nice but the bed, shower, stairs and bruised head means i can not recommend the hotel. On a positive note the attached resturant was expensive but excellent.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Saint Malo is a surprising place and so is this hotel.

The Saint Pierre Hotel on Saint Malo is only two stars hotel, and I don't understand in absolutely. Is one of the most bigger hotel on the intra muros zone, has an own restaurant and it's beside the Saint Pierre's door. One of the Saint Malo's beach door out of the muros.

In addition, has a very big rooms. For example, we told them that we would came with a child, and they gave us a double room. Two rooms with a double bed in each one unified by a hall and a big toilet. Excellent. More than we needed. Perfect.

On the other hand, the help, the simpathy and the amability of the two girls of reception was been enormuos. Always with a smile, answering anything, giving us a lot of information of everything. Amazing people.

Only two things : The hotel has no elevators. And has two floors of rooms. If you go with a lot baggage, things like baby's buggy or so on will be a little bit difficult.

Parking. The parking on intra muros is very expensive. 7 days per week, from 8.30 am to 20.00 pm. but of course this is not an hotel problem. It's only zone information.

When you take the map of Saint Malo don't worry, Saint Malo is very big but the touristic zone, the historical zone is on the corner of intra muros. So, when you see intramuros and its exteriors you've seen the most important part of the city.

Without any doubt I will repeat the hotel if I have the luck to come back to the Bretagne.

Thank you for all.

PS : I have to write in English because Tripadvisor don't recognize Català as an official language.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank David S
Reviewed 23 August 2017

This was my second visit. This time I was on the 2nd floor which was great as I tend to carry a lot of luggage and backpacks. This time the very nice lady on reception helped me up the narrow staircase. On exiting a hotel guest helped me down and found it very entertaining. I am in my early 70's and can manage it as I am still fairly fit, I find it amazing that others complain. However, I do think the hotel could be a bit more explicit in detail that it does not have a lift. Again I was facing the street so very quiet. This year a Rock Festival was on and one or two wandered down the to the beach in the early hours of morning and were a bit noisy but that wasn't the hotels problem. This year I found the room over warm and the duvet too heavy but that might have just have been me.

Great restaurant run by the same family opposite the hotel/.

My only complaint is that the duvet was too heavy and I was too hot all night

Room Tip: Expect stairs. They are steep and narrow and curving. Most the staff speak some English. Like being on the street side.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We stayed for 2 nights at the start of a touring holiday in France. My wife booked it, so I didn't read any of the reviews before going.
On arrival, the manageress gave me a friendly welcome and showed me where to park to off-load (NB parking inside the walled town is a bit of a nightmare) and also how to find the reserved parking garage. Unfortunately this was on the other side of the walled town and which had rather tight access from a busily-parked street. It was a good 15 minute walk back to the hotel, so I was glad we'd off-loaded our luggage outside the hotel.
The room was on the 3rd floor, up a narrow staircase (at least it seemed narrow when carrying large bags), and comfortable but less spacious than we'd hoped. We'd booked a larger room for us and our 3 year-old son but, with the beds, there wasn't much floor space to move around. The sea-view was OK - looking out over a flat-roof and then the ramparts of the town but, to be fair, we could see the sea. We had to be careful, when changing, not to inadvertently flash any passers-by who were walking on the ramparts outside.
The bathroom was very small and included a tiled step for access into the shower - which became potentially lethal when wet. My little boy slipped on it but fortunately I caught him before he hurt himself. We put a towel down to avoid further slippages but it did seem a little careless to have it like that.
The hotel's proximity to the ramparts and the beach were excellent and presumably were factored into the price (€200/night). It certainly made it easy to go swimming and return, in our wet-suits, for showers. Our second night was Bastille Day (perhaps another factor in the price), so we were able to easily access the ramparts to view the fireworks late in the evening.
We tried to use the hotel restaurant, across the road, but were given short shrift by the rather pompous Maître D'. I had approached him the previous evening to ask for some milk for our room so we could make tea. My poor French seemed to annoy him, and he refused me on the basis that it wouldn't keep overnight, even in a thermos flask. Breakfasts in the hotel were pleasant, though breads seemed to run low for the later breakfasters (ie us).
Reloading the car on departure was made more complex due to the hotel's reserved space being used by someone else unconnected with the hotel. Not the hotel's fault of course - Saint Malo appears to have lots of parking rules but no one to enforce them - but it made things more challenging for me.
The bill for 2 nights with breakfast & parking exceeded €450. We knew the price beforehand but for that sort of money I was expecting something a little more special. Fortunately for us, Saint Malo itself is rather special, so it didn't spoil the experience. But if we visit again we'll use Quic en Groigne instead - much better value.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family