“tasty food, excellent service, memorable view”
Review of Le Cap Horn

Le Cap Horn
Reserve with
Le Cap Horn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 412 Restaurants in Saint-Malo
Price range: USD 46 - USD 183
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located at the heart of the Thermes Marins of Saint-Malo thalassotherapy centre, The Cap Horn is a gastronomic restaurant is known as one of the best address in Brittany thanks to the Generous cuisine by our creative Chef Patrice Dugué, delicious desserts inspired by Pascal Pochon, an impressive wine cellar … . It is combining the gourmet pleasures of good food with an exceptional view over the bay of Saint-Malo. On the menu, exquisite regional produce: Grilled turbot with overtones of aniseed, oysters from Cancale, Scallops from Erquy, delicious meats…
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I don't go there as frequently as I'd like to, but I have never been disappointed by the food nor the service.
The menus are expensive however, I got fresh, well cooked, flavorful products.
To me, the Cap Horn is a safe bet. I also recommend having the Bordier cheese platter!!
The view is a big plus.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

My party had been travelling in France for a few days after watching The Tour De France. On our last night, we planned to treat ourselves and celebrate a birthday at ‘Le Cap-Horn’ restaurant.

Most of the party have dined many times at the restaurant before and have always appreciated splendid food and excellent service. I am at a loss what happened on Monday night and why nobody appreciated what our customer experience was.

We had a booking at 20:00 for 5 people to celebrate a birthday. We arrived in good time and the plan was to have a drink outside to admire the view. Even then it took ages to get served and we waiting 35 minutes for our drinks to arrive, so we had to have them served at the table. We they did arrive and we remarked at the lateness, there was only a very scant apology.

At the table our order was taken promptly, but when the starters arrived it became apparent that the cutlery was wrongly set and the dishes were not placed with the people that ordered them. A basic error! This was also repeated for the main course.

Throughout the meal, we had to ask for water several times and to order wine and request it was poured. Once again basic service characteristics that are expected in this type of establishment.

We ordered port with our cheese course and the port glasses remained with us for the duration of our meal. No glasses were cleaned while we had coffee. We ordered the bill and waited over 15 minutes for that.

When I went to complain about the service, the coffees were reluctantly removed from the bill. One of my fellow guests went up to complain further and they removed the initial drinks that we had. We had spent nearly 300 EUR on food and we were offered initially just 15 EUR discount. Having been to France many times I can honestly say this is the worst service I have ever experienced in France.

This place is trading on a reputation that it is unable to match in service these days.

To make matters worse, I was handed a card and asked to provide a review on TripAdvisor, as though I should be saluting the service we should have had. I have attached a photograph to this review of the table at the end of the evening showing not a single glass was removed from the table and the Tabasco bottle remained on the table after the initial oyster course.

I would not visit this place until it has a fair number of great reviews. I have written to the General Manager of the hotel to get his response on why we had such terrible service and it went unnoticed or unappreciated by the senior restaurant team.

Charlotte R, Responsable relations publiques at Le Cap Horn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and are, off course, very saddened that your overall experience of our restaurant felt so disappointing.
I guess you're talking about Monday the 17th of July. 'Le Cap Horn' shares its 'cuisine' with the Terrasse restaurant. That night was Bastille Day week end and had good weather with pleasant temperatures. We didn’t anticipate receiving so many clients at 'La Terrasse' restaurant. We are sorry it became detrimental for you and your friends. I can assure you this is truly unusual.
I agree with you that this is not what you should expect from our gastronomic restaurant. What we should have done was offer you directly both drinks and coffee, 80€ discount, is what we finally did. I can only present my apologies for the inconveniences encountered over your party.
Your letter and comment have been shared with our Hotel Director and Restaurant Manager. I will make sure we reply to you privately to insure you get our explanation.
We sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon so we may restore your faith in 'Le cap Horn' Restaurant, Saint-Malo.
King Regards

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the service was unacceptable. Despite complaints no apology given.

1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Better to book in advance, fully booked on week ends, this restaurant has a renommée and a lot of guest sleeping there or not will come to this restaurant

Reviewed 25 March 2017

I had to return once more just to my daughter eat the macaroons after deserts, were unforgettable, but the food..., were just nice and traditionally bit less expensive than a big city. Thanks! Julia