“Quiet and private but in the heart of the city”
Review of Le Carre

Le Carre
Ranked #8 of 852 Restaurants in Rennes
Price range: USD 20 - USD 66
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 November 2016

This was a Saturday evening visit with French friends who live locally and it was excellent. A roaring log fire in the reception area is a nice welcome and the staff were helpful throughout the evening. The menu opens on its front page to a 60 Eur menu, but don't be put off, the one at 32Eur was excellent. Tables are well spaced in a large room and the restaurant was full but felt calm and well run and therefore very relaxing. We would definitely go again perhaps on a sunny lunch when it would be possible to sit out in the beautiful courtyard in front of the house, sheltered from the city square outside and the fish market halls opposite

1  Thank Ozagain

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Le Carre was an oasis of calm amongst the bustle of the huge Saturday produce market. Rennes is an attractive vibrant city with a photogenic old town area, and Le Carre is next to the market. Like most of the other diners, we sat in the comfortable courtyard to eat. Don't expect pizzas or burgers, as the menu provides lots of difficult choices for folk who really enjoy good food.
We ate the middle fixed price menu with a good Beaujolais, and were rewarded with simply the best food we have eaten - period. The Riz de Veau was glorious!
The ambience was tranquil and relaxed, and the service was how service should be - attentive but not intrusive; invisible until you need something.
Overall, this was the highlight of our holiday, equal to Michelin restaurants we have eaten in at home and abroad, and will come back to Rennes to eat here again.

1  Thank Simon H
Reviewed 21 September 2016

Three of us had dinner here in September. We were seated outside in a lovely courtyard -apart from the odd puff of someone else's cigarette smoke-as was everyone else on a balmy evening. It got cold later on, but you can request a blanket.

The meal began very well, with an excellent crab and lobster starter, but it went downhill from there. My main course of lamb was very fatty, and the decorations on both my plate and my partners fish (in the main, cold coloured mashed potato and veg) was an unwelcome reminder of the 1980s. The desserts were acceptable but not memorable.

We found the service very stiff and unfriendly. We felt the waitress looked down on us from the start. When we were taking our time perusing the French menu she asked abruptly if we wanted the English menu (two of the party speak French). My sister in law asked for the duck without the cherries, but obviously that was not passed on to the kitchen. It's worth getting the English menu in any case, as there are some hilarious translations which will keep you smiling for days (it would be beneath the restaurant to have someone who can actually speak English help with the translation).

They do have an extensive wine list however, offering selections from 22 to 1320 Euro per bottle!

2  Thank ctrunfree
Reviewed 20 September 2016

Been before and had an excellent meal
On this visit we were not as impressed. Seated in a mini lounge/ dining room with extremely uncomfortable seating. I had to sit on a cushion to be able to eat my food.
Waiter service was very poor. Mostly unsmiley people.had to poor our wine in fact. Should not happen in this type of restaurant . Top rates for average food and service
Won't be back in a hurry !

2  Thank Ralph H
Reviewed 2 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a perfect evening at this superb restaurant. We reserved a table earlier in the week, thinking this probably wouldn't be necessary even though it was a Saturday, but we were really pleased we did! As we arrived at the restaurant the couple in front of us were being told by the head of house that they were fully booked, but he then went out of his way to ring another local restaurant and arranged a table for them there instead. I thought that was a wonderful way to treat potential customers and set the tone for the evening ahead.

My husband and I chose the 45 euro 4 course menu, but then I opted for the lobster dish which was an extra 15 euros, which, although pricey, was far below the 35 euro supplement I had seen on a menu the previous evening! As it was I was too full to enjoy the cheese course so 9 euros was deducted from the charge anyway! The food was absolutely sublime! Everything was delicious, the lobster course definitely worth the supplement.
The service was impeccable, considering they had a big party seated downstairs, there was never any sense of being overlooked.
The restaurant was beautiful, eclectically furnished but very tasteful. Outside was a lovely terrace which I'm sure would be perfect for a cocktail on a summer's evening.

All in all it was a wonderful evening and I can't recommend it highly enough. I will definitely be back!

1  Thank carolyn2801