“very good seafood restaurant”
Review of La Taverne

La Taverne
Reserve with
La Taverne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 851 Restaurants in Rennes
Price range: USD 11 - USD 69
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

When going back to Brittany we usually make it a point to lunch at La Taverne. This time we ordered Langoustines which were very fresh and perfectly cooked followed by cod fish. All in all good food and service.

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

A group of us on the Trafalgar tour dropped into La Taverne for a bite to eat. What was immediately apparent was limited English was understood, however even when I spoke French I still had problems strangely.

The food here was lovely, thought what arrived for several dishes was different from our expectations. The tartes are actually more like a thin, wafer-like pizza than the pastry shell-like tarte we had expected was being ordered. I ordered the 4 fromages tarte and it was delicious, I did order with the side salad but this never arrived. I also ordered a creme brûlée that also never made it to anywhere other than our bill and had to be declined to pay.

The American couple who'd ordered a seafood platter were surprised it arrived cooked but then served atop ice, they were naturally expecting steaming hot as served back home. They shared around and those who partook did enjoy the dish.

Despite the language barrier this was an enjoyable place to eat, just don't expect some things as back home.

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

My daughter's and I really enjoyed the food. The waiters and waitresses were extremely helpful even with our language barrier. Thanks

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Arrived and began to greet with "Bon Jour" but the mater'd spoke first, cutting me off, with a question in English, "don't you say hello?" I didn't think too much about it, but was able to blurt out a Bon Jour, and was wisked off to a table. OK, no problem.

The waiter handed us a menu, which we were quite able to read (in French), but he quickly came back with a comment, "Perhaps you need an English menu?" We didn't even get to reply before he took the originals back, and handed us the english versions. That was the last we saw of him.
People cam in 3 tables around us, had their drink and food orders taken, while we waited for any kind of service, we tried to call to someone (anyone!) to take an order, but were completely ignored.
We got up and left. That was the worse treatment we ever got in any restaurant in any country anywhere!

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Had a great steak and creme brûlée. Bit on the expensive side for what it was but just about acceptable.

Beer was good.