Hotel Clermont Estaing(Clermont-Ferrand)
Novotel Clermont Ferrand(Clermont-Ferrand)
USD 123
USD 110
  • Bar/Lounge
Ace Hotel Clermont-Ferrand La Pardieu(Clermont-Ferrand)(Great Value!)
USD 78
USD 70
Apart Hotel Les Laureades(Clermont-Ferrand)
USD 63
  • Breakfast included
Appart Albert'House(Clermont-Ferrand)
USD 71
5 Chambres en Ville(Clermont-Ferrand)
USD 93
  • Breakfast included
USD 172
TripAdvisor
  • Room Service
  • Free Internet
All reviewstrendy hotelroom overlooking the squarerugby matchnice bathroomtop floorfree wifi in the roomi highly recommend this hotelthe main squarefriendly hotelcentre of townon arrivalbalconynoisesuitcasesparkingcathedralelevator
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I spent two peaceful, comfortable nights in room 35 at Hotel le Lion on March 1 and 2, 2018. I highly recommend this hotel, and will stay there if I ever return to Clermont..

My room was spacious and modern. It had a comfortable, firm, large double bed with nice sheets and four excellent pillows. I especially appreciated the small but functional desk with room for my laptop and a comfortable chair of the right height for working at the desk. Next to the desk were several power outlets for easily plugging in my laptop’s power brick.

The interior designer clearly preferred style over practicality: It took me (and a friend staying in a separate room on a higher floor) a while to figure out that the large knobs on the wall opposite the bed were actually for hanging clothes on, not just decoration. And we both laughed at needing to be an engineer to figure out how to operate the hi-tech shower. It works nicely once you get the hang of it. Then again the glass doors around mine didn’t close tightly and leaked badly.

I asked for a room on a higher floor not facing the main square, having read comments recommending this as a better choice to avoid noise from below. My room in fact faced what was a near air shaft, which was fine, since I didn’t need a view – I was in town with my friend on personal business, and seeing the square was unimportant.

It’s worth knowing that he stayed on a higher floor but in a much smaller room, yet paid the same room rate as I did. So you may want to check the size of your room when you arrive.

It’s also worth noting that the elevator (small but modern) stops on a landing between floors, so you either walk up half a flight of stairs or down half a flight to get to your room. No big deal, just a bit clumsy.

Another thing worth noting is that on the first night of my stay the WiFi signal, while strong, was not secure. Anyone could access it. On the second night when trying to connect, the log-on interface asked me to enter my e-mail. No way, so I just used my 4G connection for my phone, and didn’t connect with my laptop. In the morning the woman at the desk told me to enter any e-mail address to log on. Go figure. I didn’t try it.

Last point: I left Clermont in the evening of the day I checked out, and asked at the desk if I could leave my large suitcase somewhere. The receptionist said the only place was out in the open next to the small reception desk on the ground floor facing the restaurant; given all the people coming and going nearby, for security reasons I decided to lug it with me.

Also note that when you get to the hotel the entrance is through a small door to the left of the broad terrace of its café/restaurant on the square. You then walk down a small set of stairs to enter the hotel proper.

Despite the above quibbles, and that’s all they are, I recommend this hotel for being modern, quiet (my room at least) and welcoming. Oh, the breakfast is above average, with a good selection of fresh fruit, terrific yogurt from the region, tasty bread, a decent assortment of cheese and cold cuts, local jams and all the predictable, boring hotel-breakfast victuals, as well as nice service. Breakfast is an additional €12 beyond the daily room rate but worth it for its overall quality, convenience and quiet, but no local color…

A major plus: for meals I can’t recommend highly enough the restaurant (where breakfast is served). Disregard the front part of the restaurant facing the street, which tends to be noisy and more café than restaurant, and which, along with the terrace, attracts many locals for a drink.

Further back is the restaurant part with consistently good food. I ate their twice, and there’s a nice selection of both regional dishes and daily specials. It’s run highly professionally with helpful, friendly waiters and waitresses, who all speak decent English and with a smile.

A refreshing change from other restaurants in town, where service can be hasty and condescending. Here you feel welcome, and the tasty food comes out quickly. When the help is happy in any establishment you know the place is under smart management, which seems to be the case here. Not so common in France. I’ll be back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank ms7308
Lion L, Reception desk at Hotel Le Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having time to provide us with your valuable feedback relating to your stay in hotel le Lion. We are glad to know that you spent a good time in our hotel and our restaurant as well
Your feedback will help us to improve the services offered to all our guests.
Looking forward to seeing you again in Hotel Le Lion
Best regards
Lion Team

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Well located on the square, very friendly and accommodating, food good not great. Only minus really is the building itself and the decor is quite basic. The rooms have all you need including comfortable bed and good shower but was also basic. Get a room overlooking the square and higher up to avoid the noise. We were there as a big group and they coped well, keeping the bar open for us until quite late.

Room Tip: Higher floor and facing the square
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Lion L, Reception Desk at Hotel Le Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear Guest. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. Your comments have been forwarded to the team and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back as our guest.
Best regards

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

Hello
We stayed 2 nights in a family room ...2 bedroom connecting with each other. Room are spacious and the beds are very good (hard), we had a nice view on place de Jaude.
He wasn’t noisy although right in the center of town
There is also a restaurant and a bar down stairs open to public who serves excellent local food and dishes
Staff is very nice smiley and supportive at any time.
I am strongly recommending this hotel.
Although no car par par they have a reduction at the nearby public car park which is only a few meters away

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Lion L, Aleksandra at Hotel Le Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Dear Guest. Thank you so much for this rating. We value your feedback, and it is great to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We would love to welcome you again in the future. Best regards.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

Didn't stay at the hotel but did go there for an evening meal which was OK; that's about as much as can be said for it. If you're looking for somewhere to eat you're probably better looking at the restaurants in the Place de la Victoire by the cathedral rather than the Place de Jaude

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Hotel le Lion offers conditions better than the 3 stars they have! Staff is very helpful and friendly, the service is good, the rooms spacious and it's great that you are exactly in the city center and you get a wonderful view over Place de Jaude!
In the same time, you have to know some French in order to get around, as few of the staff is speaking English and all of the leaflets are only in French: menu, room service order, instructions, everything...
Otherwise a very fair cost / services ratio!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business