“Lovely night out. ”

Price range: USD 35 - USD 47
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We went for a meal here on our last night in Bordeaux. We’d booked in advance, ( need to phone, no obvious online booking arrangement) and got a table looking out over the river. Restaurant was reasonably busy for a Wednesday night, and there was a function in the adjacent conservatory.

Web site suggests a €39 3 course meal, but no offer of that when the menus arrived, so brace yourself for the a la Carte prices. Starters are quite pricey.

We decided to skip a starter, but got talked into having a plate of Spanish charcuterie, (€19.95 for 2) which was very tasty. I had the fillet of beef as a main, my wife had fillet of veal. The beef was done as requested “a point”, with a sauce to die for. Excellent potatoes and carrot purée as well. If I was being picky, then I’ve had slightly better bits of beef, but I live in Aberdeenshire, so perhaps spoiled by local Aberdeen Angus produce. My wife’s veal was very enjoyable as well. We decided to have cheese to follow, which was well presented, with an interesting range of cheeses. Decent wine sold by the glass.

Again upsold at the end of the meal to have a cognac and an Armagnac, both very good but obviously added to the total bill. Meanwhile the function were still waiting for their main course.....

The young lad serving was very personable, and went off to find out what the difference was between cognac was for us. But he’d obviously been well schooled in upselling, so if you are on a budget, then watch for this.

Communal loos, as with a lot places in France, my wife wasn’t that impressed with them! Probably due to the hygiene of the other guests.

Overall though, a lovely evening, probably the best we’d had in Bordeaux at a reasonable cost.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Cafe du Port is far more than a simple "cafe"... This is a serious restaurant with very skilled staff both service and kitchen. Thoroughly enjoyable experience and a really recommended place to dine with views over the river to the "Right" side of Bordeaux Plenty of parking and a tram stop just over the Stone Bridge at Place Stalingrad.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

We went to Cafe du Port for dinner on the recommendation of our hotel and we were really pleased that we came. We were given a table on the terrace - it was a little cool and windy, but we were told there were no tables available inside. It looked like there was a private function happening there. The advantage of being on the terrace was the beautiful view to the main part of Bordeaux
Service was excellent, and so was the food. We started with an entree of octopus - probably one of the most tender pieces of octopus I have eaten. We then had the dourade - simple, flavoursome and perfectly cooked. I think it is the best dourade I have eaten. The serves were a reasonable size, but we felt like we could manage a dessert. I had the chocolate dessert - quite scrumptious! The meal was not cheap, but for the quality we did not feel it was overpriced.
I would happily return here again.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Food, staff and view were all excellent. The set lunch is good value at 18 Euros. Valet parking is an added extra. Can imagine it would be even better to sit outside on a nice day but the interior design is good.

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

No reservation but a table was found, staff polite helpful and humorous, great view across to old Bordeaux and St Michel.
Beautiful oysters and generous smoked salmon for entrees, excellent lobster and lamb to follow, finished with café gourmand.
Excellent rose wine and full of French families and friends enjoying the evening.