1,276 results
All reviews rooftop bar free movies apple tv quirky hotel fun hotel homeless people fifth floor young staff perfect location great shower nice stay enjoyed my stay rooms are small crepes late check comfortable beds breakfast buffet
Reviewed 25 August 2018

Booked trip based on location and modern vibe.
First, the pros:
The front desk staff is lovely. They serve as both check in staff and concierge and do their best to quickly move things along.
The decor is modern, and truly lovely.
The wifi, unlike many hotels that include it for free, is lighting fast. The rooms also have an apple TV with free movies and numerous channels.
The rooftop has great views but is markedly crowded.
The room does have a safe.

Cons:
The rooms are modern but horridly uncomfortable. The AC does not work, despite being on the coolest setting. They placed a fan into the rooms which just circulates warm musty air around which after a while starts to feel as if sleeping behind a flatulent camel.

There is no ice machine on the floors, so for ice one had to go to the overcrowded rooftop and beg for attention from the bartenders. The fridge in the room is not really a fridge, but a mini vending machine where if you want cold water in this overheated room you have to purchase one. They allegedly have a fridge down by the reception desk which we found out about after we left.
There are two separate sinks, for some ungodly reason, right next to one another.
There is no coffee or tea machine in the room, which I must say I have never come across in any of our hotel stays.
Inexplicably, there is a microwave should you want to stick your own head in it and boil even more.
This strange collection of amenities (or lack of) is more jarring given the useless fridge and microwave are crammed into the only nook of space which would be great for a closet/ storage. The rooms are so small we had to jam our luggage upright and into a corner, and walking past one another was only possible sideways.
The bed is oriented smack in the middle of the room and serves as a light fixture. Of course, the bed itself has no plugs for the phone or computer, so you had to run the cords across the walking path and try not to kill yourself if walking around at night.

Tip: book your wine tours through the tourist office as opposed to the front desk. many more date and price options.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank diverUsa
Florence D, Responsable at Mama Shelter Bordeaux, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Dear DiverUsa,
Thank you for your comment.
Please accept my apologies for all the inconveniences.
If you decide to come back in Bordeaux, please contact me directly, I will take care of your booking.
Mama is sorry,
Florence

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We visited Bordeaux two years ago and stayed at Mama so had no hesitation in booking again. The staff are first class, all very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are really stylish, modern and in good condition. A real attraction for the teenage children that were with us was the Apple TV in the rooms with loads of family films and good range of European channels. Adult films are standard and free so we asked for these to be blocked and they were.
My only small problem was the way that the rooftop bar was used. It was high season and good weather and the bar is open to the public. As a result it was packed out all evening, and it was not possible to get a seat and enjoy the view. I went up a number of times through the evening hoping that the crowd would ease off but it was as busy later on. A knock on effect for patrons using the hotel was that the lifts were really busy all evening.
Whilst I completely understand that the company might want to maximise profits in peak season by encouraging as many people as possible to use the bar, it was a disappointment to not get a seat at all. I wonder if the management might consider holding a few tables for residents so that this does not happen in future?
We remembered the cool ground floor bar from our previous visit so tried there but is was closed in the evening owing to the demands on the rooftop.
Mama Shelter is a great concept and I love the branding and I think they would benefit by giving priority to room paying guests.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sal P

Dear Sal P,
Thank you for your comment.
I am so sorry for the inconvenience.
You are totally right, and we change the way to manage the welcoming.
We decide to keep a special area to give priority for the hotel guest.
I will waiting for you next time, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Mama loves you,
Florence

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

The bed and the sheets were amazing! The staff was helpful and pleasant, plus they spoke English well. The room was very comfortable and sleek (except they were having a recurring problem with the air conditioning). I slept extremely well both nights we stayed there. I wasn’t quite ready to see the sex-toy display cabinet in the lobby but I’ll learn to shrug it off. Also, the location is pretty good except there are several homeless people who make their home across the street. As a result, you can’t really open the windows because there is so much smoke coming up from the street.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank bfh900
Reviewed 5 August 2018

In the main we’d recommend the Mama Shelter. Location is great, very easy access to city centre, river, trams and buses. Rooms comfortable with nice bed and it was fairly quiet (1st floor). Staff friendly and helpful. The in-room TV was great – TV, radio and wide selection of new-ish movies (in English) all free to view. The hotel has a young funky vibe but that shouldn’t necessarily put you off! We had a nice stay.

The reasons we haven’t given 5 stars are it’s a little over-priced (with breakfast not included and pricey), and the funky-vibe could be trying just a bit too hard to be funky. The room/bathroom mysteriously contained a microwave but no cutlery, plates etc. and no kettle or other similar facilities. The minibar is just a mini vending machine rather than a fridge you can use.

Unfortunately for the hotel, a small homeless encampment have also set-up home outside the front door, which might make some feel unsettled, although they didn't trouble us.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheAs
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Mama shelter is well located on a quiet corner of downtown Bordeaux. Its lively restaurant and the rooftop terrace are very popular with locals on the weekend and tend to be crowded. The rooms are simple, but nicely done and give enough comfort and space. Some quirky elements, such as Spiderman and Batman face masks on the mirror create the typical special charme of this hotel chain. The breakfast buffet was ample, with fresh juice, eggs, pancakes, and a wide variety of other choices. The staff was very helpful, and directed us to a number of nice sites and restaurants.

Room Tip: Best choice is floors 2-4 facing the street, as you do not hear the music from the rooftop yet
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple