“Fresh and tasty”

Ranked #56 of 2,499 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: USD 12 - USD 34
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sokrates Taverna on Northenden Road in Sale is a super-friendly, casual Greek & Mediterranean restaurant serving delicious cuisine from Greece and Cyprus. The Meze menu at Sokrates Taverna with its variety of dishes is perfect for parties and group get-togethers and the restaurant's wine list has an excellent selection of wines plus beers from Greece and Cyprus. From the A'la Carte menu one can enjoy traditional dishes like Stifado (a beef and onion casserole), the classic Mousaka and of course delicious meat skewers (kebabs) cooked on real charcoal.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great visit all round. Lovely fresh food and so much on the menu to choose from. We had great service too. I would definitely recommend to any one who loves Greek food.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

There is nothing pretentious about this place - it is an authentic and atmospheric Greek eatery, understated rather than flashy. Midweek, there is the option of a £15 meze platter - a generous array of dips and spreads, pita bread, meat and vegetarian dishes. The food is tasty and fresh. Service is efficient and fast, while the tables in the small space are tucked into several different areas. There is just enough buzz to feel lively, but things are still calm enough for you to hear everything the people at your own table have to say. There were people of all ages enjoying a meal at Sokrates on the night that we visited.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Easily my favourite place to eat in Sale!

I’ve been here on numerous occasions but will base the review on my most recent visit.

I booked a table for two on a Friday evening for myself and my girlfriend and after looking at the menu online we decided to go for the meze. We arrived at 7pm and the place was already full with a great atmosphere and we were greeted with friendly staff.

The food and the Mythos started coming thick and fast, the portions are huge, always hot and delicious and just when you think you can’t eat anymore another plate of food comes out!

I have family who are Greek Cypriot and they are especially good at keeping you well fed and well watered, and Sokratese is no exception.

1  Thank Superjim1989
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I dropped in on a recommendation from some friends, we shared the mezze banquet (mixed), which was amazing. Great service and quality of the food was consistently excellent. The moussaka in particular was a highlight.

1  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Very authentic looking restaurant. There were 7 of us and 2 children. The service was amazing, they don’t do a specific child’s menu but the waiter came up with several ideas for the 3 year old. It seemed like nothing was too much trouble at all.
We all had the meze which was plentiful, hot and tasty - the dishes just kept coming!
The owner came out with a birthday cake (supplied by us) and a huge slice of their beautiful cheesecake (complimentary) and sang Happy Birthday to the birthday girl.
An excellent night and a great choice, will definitely be back