“Good enough”

Starbucks - Piccadilly Gardens
Ranked #38 of 101 Coffee & Tea in Manchester
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Quite friendly staff. Last time I was there, after having seen me a few times, one guy pointed out I got a discount if I worked in the building. So that was a touch. I like the 5 cheese toastie. My only annoyance was they got my order wrong last time I was in there! Usually it has been okay though.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

A really good selection of different seating! Although they were all pretty hard to sit on, even the sofas. Really liked the building and how you can choose to sit on the second floor! Super cozy and warm, even in the winter. The tables by the sofa on the top floor seemed pretty good for bringing your laptop or study material. Naturally, this place quickly gets crowded, so try not to come here during the busy hours.

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Situated near the gardens and approaching the Arndale. Looks small on entering but there is a large cosy seating area above. Friendly service and ideal whilst in Manchester.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

We had raison tost with butter and jam. We also had carmel waffles with pot of english tea. The service is very good.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I have generally had no problems at this Starbucks or elsewhere but today's experience was a sad exception to that. The lady who processed my order sounded rude in a sarcastic sing-song way. She informed me that my Rewards card was not registered and wasn't therefore usable (not true - I have used it in other Starbucks before, but maybe they were just breaking the rules and being nice?) and I didn't feel like contradicting her but found her tone to be unnecessarily mocking. I found a table upstairs (where barely half the tables were taken), finished my scrambled eggs and tea, and was using my laptop when she came up to clean. She asked me if I needed anything else and when I said no, she told me curtly that WiFi was for customers only. I replied that I had finished my drink, to which she said, once again very curtly and mockingly, that she wanted to make sure that I know, and turned away.

I understand that she had every right to be displeased about someone overstaying (or perhaps she thought I was a random passerby who had decided to sneak in for free internet) but there are politer ways of communicating it. None of the servers I have met in any other coffeeshop have spoken to me this way, and I am absolutely sure that the standards of Starbucks' customer service are way above what this lady demonstrated.