“Should have stayed somewhere else”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #34 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stopped for one night with the local food package - local I don't think so but then again we waited so long to be served it's possible. The bed was hard and the duvet didn't seem to go over the sides of the bed - so we fought for it most of the night. Noisy and draughty. Not what we experienced in Newcastle - a shame.

• Stayed: February 2012
Craig R, Assistant Operations Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear J S Noble

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mal Manchester on your recent visit to the city,
we appreciate you giving us your feedback as it is only through this that we can continually strive to improve the Mal experience.
I am sorry to read that you found us sadly lacking, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself so I can personally look into your concerns, please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service that we aim to deliver here at Mal. Please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

First, the good points ... Great steak, great chef, good food, nice communal areas, great location

The downsides...Do NOT fill in a feedback form in the restaurant. Mine was very fair, 5 positives, three negatives. I then watched the Restaurant Manager (no name) and two of her staff stand giggling at it then shove it in a drawer. I asked what she did with the feedback, very kindly, to be told it was used for Marketing purposes to send marketing information as I had not ticked the box that precluded it. She didn't apologise, showed no interest in it and could not have shown less interest. Even though I had been sat nearby she just kept saying they were 'reviewing the feedback'. She was clear that no responses are sent and the purpose is purely for Sales and Marketing.

At check in I was asked if I waned a table for dinner. Because I chose to go direct to the restaurant I was told there were no tables although seven remained free for the time I sat at the counter. The counter was fine but staff shouldn't be made to lie to customers.

The room is small but pleasant. The TV remote doesn't work but this is not major. The spa area,whilst dirty, was friendly and the assistant helpful. There were ten to twenty towels on the floor which isnt great but not earth shattering.

I would not stay here again. The staff are let down by poor management and to laugh at customer feedback and make a feature of hiding it in a drawer when the customer is in earshot is inexcusable.

The restaurant manager said " you were not close enough to hear exactly what we said and you isn't tick the box for No Marketing."

I'll leave you to reach your own conclusions on whether to stay here.

I left my details for a manager to call but nothing heard yet.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GoodFood-Wine

Dear This is Deh

I am sorry to read that you found us sadly lacking, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself so I can personally look into your concerns, please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service that we aim to deliver here at Mal. I have tried contacting yourself several times over the past few days since your stay, please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were attending an event at the Town Hall in the evening and thought we'd treat ourselves to a getaway for the night as my in laws were babysitting. We ended up back at 1pm and it was very noisy outside -the taxi rank is both a blessing and a curse. After eventually getting to sleep I was woken up by an almighty fracas outside at 4am - my husband can enviably snore through most things. Whilst we found the room cosy and not dark like some of the reviews bear in mind that the breakfast service is very slow on a Sunday. There was one person serving the tea and coffee and everyone was still waiting after the English breakfast was served for the hot drinks to arrive. We neither got the hot drinks or an English breakfast as our order was served to the people next to us who'd ordered the same items but after us! We then ran out of time and had to leave as my in laws were catching a train home. Whilst the receptionist was very apologetic and said the management would give us a special rate next time this does not compensate for parting with £139 on the day! For an enjoyable stay remember to ask for the quietest rooms on the top floor at the back of the hotel and allow time for a most leisurely breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Sparklinella

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We got a deal for dinner and bed rate (no breakfast) in a double room for £110 fo the night. Was expecting not alot for the price so was very much impressed when we got a small but perfectly formed room, which was dark in colour scheme but modern and tastefully decorated. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom a good size!
The meal was from a set menu, but we chose to upgrade to the Steak Frites for a small additional cost and was glad we did, it was delicious!!
The staff were attentive without being over bearing.
This hotel would suit a girls shopping weekend away or couples romantic mini break equally well. Located close to the train station and within strolling distance of the Manchester shops the location is brilliant. The Village is also just a stonethrows away.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Thought I'd change from my normal Manchester Hotel and give Malmaison a go, staff were friendly but everything else fell falls short of the Mark, decor is badly aged, bedroom look like it needed a really deep clean, bed was not that comfortable. Was really not what I had expected from a Malmaison. Sorry but won't be coming back

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business