“Mold in the curtains poor cleaning”

Hallmark Inn Manchester South
Ranked #69 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The worst experience so far in a hotel.

Very nice and helpful staff, poor and unresponsive management.

I had reserved a double room and when I arrived it was so small that in the only space available on the floor if I openned my bag I could not open (and leave the room). So I asked for a more expensive room for a night fee of course. The very much helpful porter (from Poland) had a corteous and nice smile all the time, he is the best asset of that hotel.

When in the room I was going to bed after several flights via London and was exhausted by 11 pm when at a distance of 2 metres I saw some white something in the curtains. I couldn't believe that it was mold. As I knew they wouldn't believe it I took some pictures that you can see. It was so late and the hotel was fool so no point in trying to change to another room. As a result during the whole night I had a severe allergy with sneezings, mucus, tears and all the package included.

The following morning I ask for a manager. He listened and said he apologized and would send the housekeeping himself. That's all. I told him to replace or retire the cushions that smell as having been used by a lot of people and kept their smell (not exactly eau de cologne). He said they would. No compensation, no reduce in the price, no nothing. It looked like it was normal to have mold in the curtains and as that the client has to put up with it.

When back in the room the curtains had been washed and were still wet. The smelly cushions were over the sheets again. I called the front desk again and ask them to not keep them inside the wardrobe, what they did from that day on.

It was the most uncomfortable bed I have used. I asked for a double but there weren't so I had twins together that had been obviously heavely used and soooo deep in the middle that I had to sleep over the place in which they were together, to no avail, it was uncomfortable anyway.

I sent a review in which they asked why did I rated so low the chance of recommene the hotel to someone, what I wouldn't do with my worst enemy.

The replay said they were sorry and (I couldn't believe it do they think I'm a masoquist?) they asked to give them another opportunity. No way guys, I will stay as far as I can from you.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank alfaindia
WillowBankManager, Front Office Manager at Hallmark Inn Manchester South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Alfaindia

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us both here and on our company statisfaction survey.
We value all customer feed back ,it is from such guest feed back that we can monitor and improve our standards.
The issues raised within your review were responded to, via our customer satisfaction survey with all area's of concern to you now being addressed.

Clare Waddingham
Reservation Manager

Reviewed 7 January 2013

The hotel was fine, all apart from the terrible smell as soon as we entered it and the smell continued threw out the hall ways. But I can not fault the hotel in any other way, room was great and breakfast was fantastic. Although I didn't see much staff they were helpful. The hotel was also very peaceful at night so got a great nights sleep. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013
WillowBankManager, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Manchester South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Sophiesarah

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel.

I am pleased that your stay was on the whole an enjoyable one for you, your comments about corridor freshness have been passed to our head housekeeper with this matter now addressed with deep cleaning of corridors and carpets.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Comfortable beds, spacious rooms. Stayed here with a toddler and the rooms were adequate for her needs. The room was safe with no breakables or anything that she could have hurt herself with. Rooms and hotel were cleaned to the highest standard. Staff were friendly and the breakfast was delicious!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Rebecca

I am pleased that you were made to feel comfortable and had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Stayed over one night which was enough - granted it was Christmas Party time but I'll not rush back. Additional £5 for secure parking, room wiring was not great, window was wide open when I arrived so room was very cold - quick access to Manchester town centre early the next day was a plus point and my feedback was listened and responded to by the management.
If you decide to stay then suggest room at the back off main road.

Room Tip: Go to back of hotel off the main road
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Martin

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel

It is only from such constructive comments that we are able to monitor and improve our service standards to then exceed our customers expectations.

All your comments have been listened to and addressed where possible, I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Receptionist was really nice and welcoming on arrival. The room was lovely, spacious and clean. The only downfall was going to sleep (or not going sleep). We woke up every single hour with the room above. The creakiest floor boards iv ever come across, right through until the morning. About 9am also the housekeeping banging on the door and speaking foreign outside the door, this is what also woke us up. We wouldn't have minded the knocking of the door but she was near enough shouting in polish outside the door and walked in to notice we were in bed and continued to speak loudly. The hotel is beautiful but the only downfall was the room above room 36 and the housekeeping being overly loud. I would definitely recommened it and stay again but not in room 36 again. :)

• Stayed: December 2012
WillowBankManager, General Manager at Hallmark Inn Manchester South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Dear Becky_Gib

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at BEST WESTERN Willow Bank Hotel.
Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel and the warm welcome you received.
I am sorry that your nights sleep was distrupted,We are currently looking into a solution to prevent the upper floor's, floor boards from creaking.
I have spoken with our Housekeeping manager who inturn is to retrain all of her staff.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future