“The standard to which others aspire”
Review of Albert's Shed

Albert's Shed
Ranked #74 of 2,499 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: USD 16 - USD 59
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: If arriving by train - we are a 2 minute walk from Deansgate train station and a short taxi ride from Piccadilly Station. If arriving by Metrolink - we are a 5 minute walk from G-Mex Metrolink station. If arriving by road we are very close to the end of both the M56 and M602. Look out for The Beetham Tower (Hilton Hotel)
Reviewed 19 January 2018

After a wet afternoon at an Exhibition we found ourselves at the Temple of Mamon that is the Trafford Centre. Tired and hungry we almost succumbed to a (£12!) Burger at the food hall filled with the appetising aroma of over cooked oil.... FORTUNATELY we realised that a short bus ride away was the home of good value and first class service that is Albert's Shed. Mariuz greeted us and had us seated with a glass of something pleasant in moments. Hot, freshly prepared food followed. Taste was amazing and beautiful.For the price of a dubious Burger at the Temple of Mamon we had a two course delicious meal. Perfect food and service. Thankyou!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,468)

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Two of us greatly enjoyed our two course lunch for £12.95. Our starters were well presented and tasty - I enjoyed the cauliflower pasta whilst my companion was delighted by her mackerel. The main courses were good sized portions - my chargrilled chicken with a rich tomatoey sauce was well seasoned and Julie's hake was well cooked again with a tasty sauce. We then added two deserts to the bill sadly the least satisfactory part of the meal as my ice-cream sundae had far too much whipped cream and too little of the other ingredients but overall a small issue. Service was friendly and efficient and we will be returning.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

Struggling to find a table for a big party of 12 on a Saturday night without pre-ordering our course selections, Albert's Shed came to the rescue. Although they offered a limited a la carte or party menu given the size of the group, the service and the food was impeccable.

We were celebrating two friends' birthdays and the restaurant kindly offered to allow them the choice of the full menu, along with a complimentary glass of champagne.

To start with, we had drinks, and Albert's Shed offers an affordable and well-executed cocktail menu. For starter I had well seasoned and cooked scallops and black pudding in a delicious creamy sauce with white grapes and for main a very fragrant and succulent malayan chicken curry. My dessert of eccles cakes was only a little disappointing due to a touch too much cinnamon for my liking. Everyone else commented on the excellent quality of their food, especially the steak, boneless beef short rib, rump of lamb served with dauphinoise and the cheesecake.

Albert's Shed is a well-established Manchester classic and it knows what it is doing and how to do it. I always feel confident about eating there. It's in a lovely spot too, on the canal side.

My only criticism might be that the restaurant (including the toilets) is looking ever so slightly tired and dated. Similarly, the website is a little clunky and old fashioned. I was also disappointed at being unable to select from the whole menu, but I understood that the kitchen would have been hard pressed to cater for 12 different mains and starters.

Reviewed 14 January 2018

First visit, and it won't be my last. Was here for a special dinner, and couldn't have had a better evening. From the welcome by Chris on arrival, to our coats being brought to us as we were about to leave, everything was at the top of its game.
Food was delicious, service impeccable and staff very friendly.

1  Thank John P
Reviewed 14 January 2018

A few days ago my Partner and I arrived to what it was one of the best restaurants in Manchester for us – not because of the food quality but because of the hospitality we experienced there over the years as we felt like a part of a family.

We were in Albert’s shed so often that the staff remember our preferences like our Drinks usual orders favourite section in the restaurant where we liked to sit.

As an often guest who was leaving what I would like to think a substantial amount of money there, we wanted our dishes to be at certain constant standard - not burned on one occasion, cold on the other and absolutely delicious in the next sitting – I think that is perfectly reasonable request – don’t you ?

Unfortunately there were a few occasions especially in the past 5 weeks, where once presented with the dish we had to ask the waiter/ waitress to fix it or change it as the standard of the food on the plate was not as previously experienced and expected.

Although it was embarrassing to us having those conversations, but on the other hand feedback is the most important thing in any business ( and in life), it allows you to learn and change things for the better, besides why should I eat something burned, bloody , excessively salty or cold?

On occasions when we asked for the plate to be changed we did this just after first bite and not in the middle or after eating it which is a correct way of signalling the problem.

We have NEVER demanded a free meal – if an item was removed from the bill; it was the water’s/ waitress’s decision – never ours – we have never demanded for something to be removed from the bill nor did we say, we will not pay for something. Also we were never rude to anybody.

There was NEVER a problem with fixing the issues with food which is a part of hospitality something which Alan a manager there in my opinion completely does not understand. Furthermore he should go back to a training room in order to understand what hospitality is.

Alan’s actions, attitude, complete lack of respect to our loyalty and hospitality destroyed and ended our business relationship with The Restaurant.

The Reason:

Yesterday my partner ordered a dish, part of which was rice. It looked perfectly fine but for some reason for my Partner the rice had a revolting smell I smelled it too it was almost like a rotten fermented fruit which passed its expiration date a long time ago.

As this horrible smell was so badly overpowering to the point that my Partner could not enjoy the chicken next to it he asked the waiter to simply to remove the rice from the plate. The waiter asked if he would like to have something else instead. My partner politely declined and said with a smile on his face “no, it’s fine, really. Just remove the rice and I will continue eating without it”

After a while Alan came to our table saying that he smelled and tasted the rice himself and told us that everything is perfectly ok with it then he left an awkward silence and was just looking at my Partner giving him a “silent treatment”. – Albert shed management if you read this please check your CCTV and you will be able to see it.

My Partner answered: “well it’s not ok for me, so please remove it from the plate” so they did that.

When we have finished eating I had a very important business call which I had to take, my partner asked for a bill and Alan approached our table again..

1. He made me finish the conversation with my supplier saying out loud “ I will wait until HE is finish and I will come and speak to you – it was said loud enough that I could see in a corner of my eye that people from surrounding tables stopped talking and started listening to what was going on!

2. Alan said that Every time we are dining at the restaurant there is a problem, and that we ALWAYS send away the food ( complete nonsense) - We were eating there for at least 2 years regularly and he works there for maybe 5-6 weeks – and since that time the quality of service and food went down massively. (Not only will our opinion- also be verified)

3. He said that we are contributing to the food WASTE

4. That we cause DAMAGE TO THE BRAND

5. He said that there will be no bill for us on that occasion and suggested that we should take a break from coming to the restaurant. All this because we have simply asked for the rice to be removed from the plate and wanted to pay as normal!

6. All this was said in a very small radius to 2 other tables who literally stopped talking and listened what a horrible customers and terrible people we are!

7. Then Alan said “we do not wish to discourage you from coming to the restaurant” – REALLY?

Questions to Albert shed’s Management

– Why would you question the customer simple request?
- Is this how you train your staff and how you want your restaurant to be perceived? There is a lot of competition out there you know?

Just answer yourselves this question: In your customer’s portfolio what is the percentage of repeated guests who dine at your restaurant 3-4 times a week?

We have been completely penalised for daring to say anything negative yet valid about the food!

Another example on 24.12.2017 about 3pm (Restaurant Management please see CCTV cameras) we sat next to large party there. All of them ordered Christmas turkey – so did I.
The food was not good because it was extremely salty. After eating it all of them told the waiter the food was good, but when the waiter when away they said that it was “terribly salty, Not worth it and that they will never going to come back there” (I sat next to them and could hear every word) I did say to the waiter that the food was not good. I gave my reasons and returned about 70% of it back and still paid full price without the question!

Another one was when we were there in December and My Partner ordered beef (sliced) the waitress asked him how would he like it cooked he said as always medium to well done. It came out burned, black full of charcoal on the outside and bloody in the inside – I will find the picture and update this review for you to see it. We showed the plate to the manager, he saw how badly the beef was prepared so we asked him if they could remake it. After a while the same manager came to our table very embarrassed and said that your Chef told him to tell us that he is “not able” to prepare this dish any better.

We are also a regular guests at places like San Carlo, Cicchietti or Austrolasia where we are not only dining but also organising different events and recommend them to a lot of businesses.

It is a big shame that you have transferred one of the managers Gabriella to other sites. As she had this fantastic and unique skillset which we only seen in reputable 5 star hotels/ restaurants around the world. Whenever there was an issue it was fixed seamlessly and instantly whenever she suggested a dish or a cocktail she took into the consideration customer’s personality which resulted in well suited choices. Furthermore she has an experience build on hospitality and a fantastic, warm and inviting personality.

After yesterday’s revolting experience I even think that her skillset is too unique and exclusive to match with the rude, cold and abrupt service presented to us yesterday.

Below please quick facts about our custom which will be used to support our story and can be verified:

Customer type: Personal, business, staff and recommendations

Documented revenue in Last 12 months (source: bank and credit card statement)

Personal: £4472.00 spent in the restaurant

Business meetings, work do’s and staff sent there for meetings: £2758.00 spent in the restaurant

On top of this undocumented revenue in the past 12 months:

Recommendations: including my suppliers and Customers our overseas staff visiting Manchester approx. £880.00

My own cash transactions - i dont know - i did not count.
The reason for coming back so offer to Albert’s Shead was the staff and feeling “at home”.
In the end however it was the staff who “slapped us” in the face in front of other guests and asked to leave!

Never again - Be aware!