“Fabulous! ”

The Refuge by Volta
Ranked #287 of 2,482 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: USD 32 - USD 51
Description: A major success story on the Manchester food and drink scene with Electrik and Volta, Justin Crawford and Luke Cowdrey, aka The Unabombers, have joined forces with The Palace Hotel to curate the Refuge Dining Room & Public Bar. Head Chef Alex Worrall has created a menu inspired by The Unabombers global DJing trips with a range of small and large plates perfect for sharing.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

Having just visited an absolutely awful restaurant, it was only right I review this fantastic restaurant.

We went for a birthday outing. The hostess was so polite and inviting and both herself and the waitress were happy to move us during the evening to a quieter table. This seems normal but more often than not the waiters usually get really annoyed by this.

The waitress was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. All that we needed! Food was very quick and very yummy.

This was a lovely evening, so we will definitely be back. Every member of staff seemed to be friendly and ready to help and I think that really helped make the night. Definitely the best restaurant we have visited!

RefugeGM, General Manager at The Refuge by Volta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit. It's lovely to read you were well looked after by our team.

We hope we can welcome you back again very soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We dined as a family, booked, but they couldn’t find anyone to seat us then couldn’t find the booking, great start! The food was good but does take an age to come out. If you want to eat together, like say in a restaurant, then it won’t happen here. Bar service was also slow, 20 minutes for basic drinks to arrive, tables left messy the whole time we were in, just felt like no-one is in charge, staff aimlessly walking around, no condiments even though they were offered. You could put it down to a bad day but in all honesty the service issues and lack of engagement are gonna take a while to fix.

RefugeGM, General Manager at The Refuge by Volta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2017

Hi MarcoPW,

Glad to read the food was good. Other than that, I'm sorry to read of the several other aspects you were less than happy with.

If you could forward me details of your booking, (name/ time/ date etc) I'd be happy to investigate what went wrong with the booking. I'll also be able to identify your table and speak with you waiter on the evening.

I hope that when you discussed all the above with the manager on the evening, they rectified everything prior to your departure. There's always at least two managers across the venue at all times, and we never allow a guest to leave unhappy.

Very best,

E: mark.clinton@theprincipalhotel.com

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Waiter, waitress are such a sweetheart , genuinely friendly . no hidden charge , no tricky at all .Also peaceful place to be. I do love groovy music and historic vibe
Defo my sanctuary spot !!! .

RefugeGM, General Manager at The Refuge by Volta, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Hi sabie I,

Thanks for the 5* review, and glad we provided you with your sanctuary!

We would love to welcome you back again soon,

Very best,

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

An amazing place to eat, love the surroundings, good service and wide choice of food. Handy for the theatre too.

Hi Xxtravellers,

Thanks for taking the time to give us a 5* review, and for your kind and complimentary words of our food, service, surroundings and location.

Hope to welcome you back again very soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

My friend wanted to take me for a lunch, we both love this place and I took her for her birthday too.
Never disappoints, beautiful setting on a architecturally beautiful building with lots of space.
The food was amazing, I loved the Ox cheek dish and the artichoke warm salad, my friend loved your Harissa lamb.
Great friendly staff too, untill again Richard and Tamara x

Hi Richard & Tamara,

Thanks for the great review, and for choosing to share your special occasion with us.

I hope we get to welcome you back again soon,

Very best regards,