“good if you like a soft bed”

Holiday Inn Express Doncaster
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Doncaster
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Definately dont rely on the post code to get you there. Ask for B&Q or the Woodford farm pub. The hotel room was a fair size, bathroom very nice, clean, functional. Our gripe is the bed, soft and sagging in the middle, if you like to be close to your partner this is the place for you. Give the staff their due, they did give us another room,another saggy bed, so yet another room. This was marginaly better. Breakfast seems to be luck of the draw. Day one on the hot menu,sausage scrambled egg and beans. Day two (two bus loads of guest) sausage, beans,scrambled egg, tomatoes and bacon. But big ques to eat. Oh the orange juice is tastless. Staff multitasking so we had to go find someone in the breakfast room to pay the bill.

Room Tip: check bed befor you unpack
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 November 2011

My first stay at this Holiday Inn Express was back in June, before I discovered the wonderful online site Trip Adviser, so have decided to rate both stays on the post.
Myself and the wife need some where to stay for the evening in Doncaster, As I was booking in advance and knew there was not going to be the need to vary or cancel the date chosen, I decided to shop around for a good deal, as I was booking early, I was able to take advantage of Holiday Inns early booking saver rate and got a very competitive price.

First visit June 11: The hotel was easy to find in a convenient location, when I arrived there was ample parking spaces with four disabled bays right next to the entrance, when I went to check in the lower disabled accessible desk had been broken but the staff came round the counter to allow me to complete the paperwork, I had booked a disabled room, which was on the ground floor it was extremely spacious with a fully accessible bathroom, a lowered bed, plenty of complimentary tea and coffee with making facilities within the room, a TV, after a very comfortable night’s sleep, we took advantage of what is described as a complimentary breakfast( although considering the cost of the room compared to a premier inn I believe the breakfast cost are budgeted into the price), Breakfast consisted of cereal , toast, croissants , rolls and scrambled egg , beans, sausages. Choice of tea or coffee and juices. Staffs were friendly and helpful. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, and before we had left were looking forward to when we had to visit Doncaster again.

Second Visit October 11: Very excited needed to visit Doncaster again, don’t shop around for some where to stay, decided to just book the same hotel as we had stayed at before, however on this occasion two of our children decided that they wanted to accompany us this time, I was advised on booking the accommodation that I could not book a disabled accessible room as it could not accommodate the two children in it, however that I could book a family room which would still be suitable, On arrival go to check in some four months after our last visit and the disabled accessible counter still broke, staff did come round to help me check in as before, however I did feel that in such a long time since my last stay it should off been fixed. Our room on this occasion was on the Second floor but this was not an issue as there was a lift, and providing there was not a fire (and I was hopeful that it would not be the case I did not feel this would cause any problems.) On entering the room I could hardly move as the room was very small, I would of possibly had more room to move if I had been staying at Her Majesty’s Pleasure, there was not even enough room to turn around in my wheelchair in the room ,I Could not access the shower room / WC at all, thanks goodness for the McDonalds down the road that closed late and opened early, there were not enough towels put in the room, only enough for one cup of tea each for me and the wife, the kids bed consisted of a sofa bed, as this was the case I am bewildered as to why one could not have been put in an accessible room, do holiday inn not believe that disabled people have children and want to stay in hotels. On wanting to go to bed I could only get in to bed by my wife lifting me into the bed, as could not get my chair to either side of the bed, once in bed it was the most uncomfortable night I have ever had in any hotel, and I have stayed in a few. The bed sunk in the middle so you both rolled into each other. I hardly managed to get four hours sleep, the kids moaned that their bed was uncomfortable and they were tired when they got up at 6.30 and I did not wake them up, they just could not sleep any longer in it. Breakfast was still good but was too tired to really be interested in eating, wish I had spent the night at home got up early and drove up to Doncaster that morning, I would have been better rested than staying here for the night. On check out was asked how we sleep told the guy at reception who said if we had phoned down would of moved us to a new room, however a 10.30 at night after a 200 mile drive had just wanted to get into bed, was not thinking about making a complaint about the room. As they say you are only as good as your last stay so am afraid that I could not recommend this hotel for a disabled person with a family but can if you are travelling as couple you should be ok.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Storm287
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I have stayed here on many occasions and a Priority Club member check in is always quick and easy with check in staff always polite and friendly. The rooms are well fitted out with all you need for a good nights sleep. Good lounge/bar area that serves good food and a small breakfast buffet is also available. If you book in advance you can get a fantastic rate at this hotel. Will be staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from lift
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Decided to stay for a two night break taking in the "Question Of Sport Live show" we took full advantage of the "Daily Mail" hotel offer by saving tokens and selected The Holiday Inn Express in Doncaster. Housed in a modern building with plenty of fee parking, our room was large, clean, comfortable and fantastic value. The rate paid per night even included a buffet breakfast which provided a range of hot or cold items. The staff were polite and very helpful and a credit to the hotel management.

Despite being located on the edge of an industrial and business complex it is only one mile from the centre of Doncaster which has plenty of parking. The hotel does offer a limited evening meal and has a nice bar in the lounge area, however there is a very popular pub opposite where good reasonably priced food is available. Check out was quick and efficient
and we would stay there again should we have the need to stay in that area. The hotel seemed full and to be honest I can see why, this must be ideal for the business community.

Room Tip: Best to go online to aquire the best room rate or look on website for special offers, all rooms well...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnHerby
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My wife and I stayed over just one Saturday night in mid October, as a base for a friend's 50th Party. Got a fantastic online price to include breakfast! Easy parking, very pleasant and efficient guy on reception had us booked in in under a minute. Excellent room and bathroom and although the Hotel was fully booked, it was really quiet. The dining area for breakfast was a shade cramped but that asiden no problems. The wall mounted TV in the bar area showing footy all afternoon was maybe a bit too loud for those of us who don't particularly like football and would prefer not to have to speak to each other in raised voices all the time to out do the commontators.
All in all, a great hotel in a convienient location. Will certainly use it again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple