Old Station House Bed & Breakfast
    USD 106*
    USD 79*
    USD 91*
    • Beachfront
    All reviewsb btrain stationtown centreguest housefree parking on sitevisit nearbysingle roomrestaurants and barswould stay here againcontinental breakfastcastleensuiteguesthousesachetswashbasinkettle
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 20 December 2011

Overall I had a good stay. As the name would suggest it is close to the train station. It is in fact next to the train line but I did not hear the trains. Rooms would benefit from a bit of a refresh. Door suurounds needed a lick of paint in the bathrom. The threshold strip for the bathroom door no longer held the carpet down. Service was pleasant but impersonal. Contact not always easy as sometimes the phone goes unanswered. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011
    2  Thank WhyShouldIStayHere
    Reviewed 21 November 2011

Only stayed 1 night. But will be going back.

Located opp Lancaster train station. So dead handy for me comming from the isle of man. Ferry-train-b+b. You get the picture!

Friendly guy answered the door. Nice, warm room. Great breakfast.

All for 40pounds. Brilliant.

• Stayed: November 2011
    1  Thank bobbinabout
    Reviewed 30 July 2011

Great value B&B - clean and comfortable room, excellent loction for town centre and station. Hosts unobtrusive and helpful. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
    1  Thank runrosyfox
    Reviewed 15 July 2011

I stayed in room 4 on the first floor; you could hear trains intermittently when awake, but I slept through and wasn't at all disturbed. It's not a particularly regular service from Lancaster and mostly freight trains overnight (so not many announcements).

The B&B could not be closer to the station (obviously); it's on a bridge. You're about 3 minutes' walk from the Storey, Lancaster (the venue for the conference I was attending), 5 from the Priory and Castle, and about the same distance from (what I think is) the very pretty town centre.

I checked in during the 5-8 p.m. slot and was met by a young man who I think was Andrea's son. He carried my case up & seemed well-prepared with all the details he had to give.

My room had a sliding door which led to the bathroom - that did have a tendency to make the room a bit steamy after showering, and I'm not sure how warm the room would be in winter (although there were several heaters so probably it would be okay). Hot water was plentiful and at a decent water pressure. There was a decent hairdryer, extra pillows, blankets, glasses etc. provided. My bin wasn't emptied every day but that wasn't a particular problem - toiletries etc weren't replaced either, but, then again, it was only £40/night. Towels seem to be replaced every other night & again there was a decent number & quality provided. The carpet had seen better days but the bedlinens/quilts etc were perfect.

My room was quite a decent size with TV, dressing table, mirrors etc. There's no full-length mirror which was a bit of a bore, but again that's a minor quibble.

Breakfast is served between 8 and 9 and was delicious. On the last day of the conference, Andrea very kindly let us leave our suitcases in the breakfast room & return (letting ourselves in with keys) to retrieve them later. Wireless was free and completely reliable - an open network, no struggling for passwords etc.

The bed was absolutely, absolutely fantastic. I slept incredibly well and was unbelievably comfortable.

Room Tip: room 4 is on the side *away* from the station, which I requested when I booked. It's a single.
    • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
    1  Thank svduncan
    Reviewed 20 June 2011

My partner and I arrived a little earlier than anticipated and had to ring the proprietor, to let her know we were there. Andrea was along in just a few minutes and made us feel right at home straight away, with her warm, relaxed friendliness. She was very attentive to my partner's dietary needs. In spite of being on her own to cook and serve breakfast for her guests, Andrea really came up trumps with an excellent, gluten-free, vegetarian breakfast, the best of our 11 day trip to Scotland and the North! Abundant, tasty and well-balanced, with a lot of choice.

The conversion of the old station master's house has clearly had to use the available space to the best advantage, so the rooms are not very spacious.

Perhaps the decor isn't quite what we would have chosen, but we figure that if that's what people want, perhaps they'd be happier staying at home or in one of the dead, sterile, soulless hotel chains... For our part, we found our room very comfortable, with a good en-suite bathroom.

We have promised ourselves another visit to Lancaster and the Old Station House is definitely where we plan to stay. We would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple