All reviewsshower roomserved quicklywedding receptionan enjoyable stayfull englishincluding breakfastbit datedvisiting maidstonewedding venuesunday lunchmaidstone town centreone night stayfour poster bedbar areachantellefunctioncarvery
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed for our wedding night. The concierge briefly explained where our room was and after a confusing walk we managed to find it. The corridors had a strange smell to them! Our room was extremely dated with limited facilities, the shower water pressure was very low and there was no hot water so I was forced to have a cold shower. The staff for breakfast were attentive but probably because we had a large party. One meal in particular took a while to arrive and was a small portion, the rest you could tell had been pre cooked and re heated (the bacon in particular). Was a clean and comfortable stay but wouldn’t recommend.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank shgiles
Grange M, General Manager at Grange Moor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Shgiles,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I'm disappointed that your stay was less than satisfactory.

Our reception team always offer to show the guests to their rooms and assistance with any luggage, as we are not a purpose built hotel so we do appreciate the importance of this, perhaps you declined the assistance?

We have had no complaints regarding any problems with shower pressure or lack of hot water, did you bring this to any member of the teams attention at the time during your stay? If you had we would have been able to provide you with a solution as our maintenance team are on site and could have investigated the matter, however as mentioned we have had no reports from yourself or any other guests.

I can confirm that all our breakfasts are prepared fresh and cooked to order, breakfast is cooked according to the orders that come into the kitchen, we do find that it is very rare for big groups to all come down for breakfast at the same time and more likely to arrive at varying times resulting in some guests from one room may have finished whilst others from the party may have just come down and ordered.

I am pleased that you found your stay clean and comfortable.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

This small hotel is local to us and we have stayed many times but not recently. We telephoned less than an hour before to check availability for Sunday lunch and the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful. The food was really good and the staff couldn't have been more attentive. A thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing and pleasant afternoon. Many thanks.

Room Tip: Check room size before booking to avoid disappointment
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I can't thank the staff enough for their kind hospitality at this hotel.
Had a great king size room facing the gardens.
My room was comfortable and I had my own en suite large shower room.
The staff were very helpful in ensuring I enjoyed my stay. Great memories and became very fond of this hotel 10 out 10..

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2018

We decided on a small quiet family wedding at the end of September 2018. I did not want anything elaborate, just family, they are all relatives who because of their age and disabilities find it hard to travel around, so the Grangemoor was ideal. We had been there for Uncle Fred's 85th birthday and everything seemed great, we had a carvery, there were about 20 of us there and the staff left us alone and we had a lovely drink out in the garden.

We decided to come there again on the day that we were getting married as it seemed ideal for them all, as they are all quite mature now, and we knew they would be okay. We knew we would have may be 40 people going to our wedding and therefore we went about asking if we could just come up to the Grangemoor for a carvery afterwards with drinks in the garden. I was not going to be a bride dressed in white, just another person with their family. It would also be my 60th birthday, so we thought it appropriate and fitting to hold the meal like this.

We were told that should be fine. The next day somebody phoned up asked us to pay £500 for the room, but we did not want a room, we were only going to be there for the carvery, there would be no procession, no speeches, nothing, that was how we wanted it. My other half went to speak to Chantelle and she understood and said that would be fine and she would do us a top table and table to put the cake on, not what I really wanted, but was ok with it, as I was glad that we were going to the Grangemoor as we had had such a nice family time on Uncle Fred's birthday.

Then they email, saying they want a depost, they want numbers, they want to know who was having sweets, we had already told them that nobody would have starters or sweets and that the cake would be the sweet. All the time they seemed to want us to spend more and more. Then the deposit was due and I did not have the money until the day after. I went to the Grangemoor on the day the money was due, Chanetelle was not available again, she was supposed to phone me to make an appointment she did not, and we have to say here that she has never phoned us when asked. The receptionist treated me as if I was something on the bottom of her shoe, I felt like a silly little schoolgirl.

We then got an email to say that it was cancelled under their policy. Obviously we were not going to pay the full rates of a wedding party, but we did not ask for that, they just stepped in, and when we did not play ball, they used what means they had and that was to cancel our wedding. I have already sent out all the invites and I am very upset by the way I have been treated. We are nice people, we look after our grandson, we are his carers and we are caring people, we get no money for doing this and we treat people properly. We have very little money, I have been told my job finishes in September, and the money I was paying them, was probably money we would have spent on George during the school holidays.

Say we had turned up on the day and said we have 40 people here who want a carvery, I bet they would have been able to feed us, when we went there for Uncle Freds birthday we were the only people there apart from one table.

What really gets me about this is the way they have tried not to talk to us and sort this out, and just gone by what they have in writing. I would have done a bank transfer in front of them for one minute past midnight but they would not do it. I bet they have had another booking and are using the room another way. We are going higher and speaking to lots of people about this. I have not felt like this for a long time and I am ashamed to say I am British when fellow Brits treat their own like this.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank elaineandrews13
Grange M, General Manager at Grange Moor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Dear Elaine Andrews,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is a shame that you have unfortunately not portrayed the matter factually so I would like to respond to your points.

On the 25 June 2018 you made an inquiry with us to have your wedding celebrations at the hotel with a carvery which is currently a cost of £11.95 for 1 course after your wedding ceremony at another venue on 30th September 2018. As you were not prepared to pay a room hire so that you and your guests could have private room, it was agreed that you could have your carvery in the main suite with all other regular customers.

It was explained to your partner Gary that just like any other carvery booking where the numbers exceed 10 guests we would require a £5 deposit per guest. Gary told us it was both of your intentions that you would be making all of your guests pay for themselves for their carvery.

Unfortunately you were not happy in having to pay the deposit,which is the hotel's policy in order to secure the booking. You eventually agreed to pay for it. It was agreed the payment would be made by no later than 24th July 2018 or the provisional booking would be taken out.

On 24th July Gary called the hotel saying you didn't have the money to pay, he was rude to our receptionist who answered the phone and told her that if we are not happy, he would look for an alternative venue and hung up on our receptionist. As the deposit was not paid, we then notified you that the provisional booking would be taken out as you had not met our requirements.

It is unfortunate you sent out the invites to your guests because unlike your title for this Trip Adviser review your wedding was never booked as you had failed to pay the deposit after the initially inquiry and provisional booking which was made in the previous month.

Reviewed 22 July 2018

That title may be a bit harsh, but it did spring to mind. There are too many example to relate here, but here's one: we arrived around 12pm. Check was from 2pm, so they kindly stowed our gear and were invited to sit in the garden and order drinks. At the desk we enquired about booking breakfast the following morning (as pre booking attracted a discount). We were told (this is what we both got) :It is booked out but you can reserve any time" My wife ordered English breakfast tea, only to be told a while later it wasn't available. A few minutes later a waiter arrived in the garden with a breakfast for us! Oh Lord. Anyway, the room was small - one of those that navigation consists of sidling around the bed. There was no shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom, there seemed to be one iron for the whole establishment which lived in the hallway near our room. We saw it once, and never again. Food: my sister ordered soup of the day which was reputed to be spicy pumpkin soup. It was a thick brown goo . Looked ghastly and tasted even worse. It was inedible. The other food was variable but never above average, and often below. Best avoided.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family