“watch out for additional costs”

Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Horsham, United Kingdom
“watch out for additional costs”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I had a recent stay at this hotel and am sad to report that I was the victim of one of the more shameless displays of profiteering that I have witnessed.

The morning after my nightstop I suffered a key malfunction in my car that rendered me unable to drive out of the hotel. Initial calls to the dealers suggested 3 days to have a new key arranged. Reception were contacted and they assured that the car was fine to remain on site and that they'd noted the reg and would ensure it wasn't clamped or subject to huge bills.

Unfortunately 2 days after my car was released from the car park I noted, from a bank statement that a charge of £60 had been debited from my account by the hotel, all without any consultation or authorisation.

Subsequent calls to the hotel confirmed that they had, as a matter of policy charged me the full rate for parking on site for this period irrespective of the facts outlined above. Eventually this was halved but the shameless chase for profit suggests a hotel which places the demands of the accounts sheet above the need for honest customer service.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank ADW1973
guestrelationslgw, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the hotel. I am sorry that you felt that the
car park charge was unreasonable. We do offer secure parking facilities at the hotel and the tariff per day is clearly displayed as you enter the barrier . We only have a limited number of spaces and that is why we have to operate a barrier system.

I am sorry that your car developed a problem it was very unfortunate for you , but the hotel only charged the daily rate for car parking for the amount of days the car remained in the car park. These charges were not hidden or additional ,but the normal car parking charges for any guest leaving a car at the hotel.. Our charges are per day and are in line with other facilities in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Gatwick
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We held our company “After Xmas” party at the Crowne Plaza this January. We started making the initial arrangements in Sept/Oct and Paula and her team went out of their way to accommodate our needs. They were happy to show us round on several occasions for us to view the venue and also plan for our decorations.

Unfortunately we were unable to meet the numbers that we had initially hope for, but the hotel were very understandable and offered to move us to a more suitable suite, however after a last minute hard sell we managed to increase the numbers and they agreed the Arundel Suite would probably best for the numbers we had.

This room was very spacious and the lighting really added to the ambience of the room. Although we only had 85+people the room did not feel too large and the tables were arranged well around the dance floor.
The DJ was exceptional, and having requested a large number of songs in advanced for our Hollywood themed evening, he managed to find them all and helped make the evening a great success.

Paula was on hand along with operational manager to aid with the organisation of the suite throughout the afternoon of the party. This could have been a lot more stressful without them! When we returned in the morning to clear the decorations (of which there were many), they had all been cleared which was a welcome surprise!

Feedback from the attendees was very positive, although some had concerns about the prices of drinks which seemed to vary throughout the night. I think perhaps it would beneficial to display a price list so this would not be an issue in the future. There was also an issue with the menu choices, however this was just a misprint and was quickly resolved.
Within the price of the meal, we had agreed to half a bottle of wine person and this was distributed via the waiter until all bottles had been finished. There was some feedback that suggested they would have preferred the wine on the tables as they were unaware the wine was still available, however it was a nice touch to have the waiter service.

As the organiser, I was offered a complimentary room which was a lovely touch and also made it less stressful when having to get ready for the party. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated and the buffet breakfast in the morning was lovely.

The Crowne Plaza was a great venue and we would definitely consider it again next year. Paula and her team were amazing and really went out of the way to help the night go the way we wanted it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
guestrelationslgw, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were delighted to receive your feedback and it’s great to hear how well your party went. Thank you for mentioning Paula and the team, they will be really pleased to receive your comments as it rewards them for their hard work they put in ensuring everything goes smoothly on the day. We hope to welcome you again next year.
cairo
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have stayed several one night stopovers here on our way back home to Spain from the UK. We have always found the staff and hotel to of a very good standard with quick efficient check in and out. The restaurant serves very good food and wine but not at crazy prices and our room (upgrade) was a club room and veryu comfortable. One thing about these hotels world wide is the quality of the bed and the pillows - always the same standard so a good nigts sleep is assured.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
We were delighted to receive your feedback and it’s great to hear how highly you regard our hotel. I was also pleased to hear you found our beds comfortable and enjoyed your Club room upgrade. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again when you are next in the area.
Cardiff
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed one night before a flight and then left the car for 14 nights. This was great value. It was easy to catch the shuttle to the airport but return times are limited. We got a taxi with ease back. It is close to plenty of places to eat in Crawley. The staff were all very helpful. Our first room was lovely but when the bathroom lighting failed we had to move. Some of the rooms are much more old fashioned.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for writing a review. I was pleased to hear you found your park and fly package great value and found our staff to be helpful. I am sorry you had to move rooms due to the lightning not working, I hope this did not cause too much inconvenience. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed here the night before flying out on holiday. Reservations taken by central res (as the hotel does not do reservations themselves) - booking all fine, booked the hotels own Stay and valet parking. Am a Priority Club Gold Member - so the res agent also made a request for an upgrade.
Arrived at hotel - plenty of car parking round the building and went to check in, using the Prioirity Club Desk. All relatively simple, given key, wake up call and newspaper offered and then given the details for the Valet Parking.
Went up to room - which was on Club Floor - BUT room was a box room at the end of the corridor, which you could honestly only just walk round bed as you opened the door. THIS ROOM IS CLEARLY NOT A CROWNE PLAZA BRAND STANDARD SIZE ROOM!!
Xalled reception and asked if this was a Club Room - and was told no it wasnt, so much for the comments of upgrade on reservation then. Asked for upgrade and the pleasant girl checked - coming back and saying they could offer an upgrade but would be on different floor - WHY WAS THIS NOT THEN OFFERED AT CHECK IN?????? We declined the upgrade as it was about 9pm and we needed to get something to eat before settling down for the night, and was not prepared to wait for someone to bring up a key then have to move all our luggage to another floor.
Had dinner in the Cube Lounge - actually okay (didnt like the automatic 10% service charge added to your food bill!!!!)
Called the company on the car park details I had been handed by the hotel - to find they had no record of my booking for Valet Parking. Had to then go to reception and hand my mobile phone over so that the company could talk to the hotel - NOT WHAT I WOULD EXPECT!!! Saying that the gentlleman at the car parking company explained the procedure and took all my car details - stating that I should call the number as I was leaving the hotel in the morning, so that they could have someone meet me at the airport in the allocated location.
Bed in room was small double with a very thin (almost pancake like) duvet on it - no full length mirror and big chunks of wood missing out of bathroom door. Website states bath tub and shower - this room only had a shower in it. Attention to detail lacked in the bathroom as they have 4 - yes 4 containers of shower gel and shampoo - but stupidly the 2 containers in teh shower are both shampoo - so your shower gel is in the container at the sink!!!!
Next morning at around 7.45am as I was just about to ring the company, they called me just checking to see how I was doing and was I still planning to be at airport at 8.00am - was most impressed with this customer service. Upon arriving at airport the representative of the car park company was there and came straight over to my car, explained everything and had me on my way in to the terminal within 5 mins.
Overall the car park expereince was excellent - the hotel was a bit if a let down for a Crowne Plaza - as you get bigger and better rooms at Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express!!

Room Tip: Dont have room 616