“Good food but no hot water to wash my hands”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #19 of 282 Restaurants in Crawley
Price range: USD 0 - USD 31
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food was lovely, but the restaurant was warm when we arrived but part way through the meal it appeared that the heating was turned off and I got so cold that I had to put my winter coat on.
I mentioned that I was cold and that the radiator was going cold so he put the heating back on. It was only 5 degrees outside!
I went to the toilet but I couldn’t wash my hands as there was not any hot water, despite running the tap for ages, I do hope that the kitchen hand basin comes from a different supply? I had to use my own hand gel.

1  Thank Jilly17

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We were a party of 11 having a lunchtime meal and whilst we cannot fault the food, we initially had to wait ages for someone to take our order and then wait even longer for the food to arrive, not to mention that when it did, one of the dishes was missing.

On top of this, the dishes started to be collected whilst one of the diners was still eating ( that’ll be the person who had the missing dish.)

However, as a goodwill gesture, we were allowed either a drink or a dessert on the house but that was only after we pointed out the error of their ways.

1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 21 March 2018

We were freezing cold & came home to thaw out, the fire was just left with no heat, the calves liver was the worst we have had, my daughter couldn’t even eat hers, full of gristle. The mange tout were so stringy & one piece of broccoli!! My husband had very dry sea bass, small piece as well, really disappointed, .The ale pie was good & the seafood platter & fish & chips, so 3 Out of 6 were ok, The staff were excellent , but not a place we would return in a hurry !

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I have been driving past this place for 40 years, never bothering to call in, as it always appears far too busy and, in the Summer months, full of cyclists in those daft spandex suits that appear to vacuum pack their fecundity in such a way that leaves little to the imagination, other than to consider applying for an online penile implant before the main course arrives.

There had been heavy snowfall this week and rail services were disrupted as train drivers declared a national duvet day and poor Southern Brains were subsequently forced to declare force majeure on commuters. Furthermore, there was a power cut in Ardingly, so we were turned away from the The Gardener's Arms and had to drive our Reliant Robin in a blizzard to the next sign of life in Turner's Hill. We entered The Crown for the first time in 40 years, with great trepidation, concerned that breaded cod might be the catch of the day.

From the moment my wife and I stepped into this fine establishment, we knew we were in for a treat. A roaring fire and a tasteful decor got us in the mood for game hot pot with herby dumplings, the supreme of chicken, the sticky toffee pudding and the chocolate sponge with chocolate custard. I can't quite remember what my wife ordered. Service was prompt and courteous and the food was superb. It was so good that we returned again at the weekend to celebrate my wife's birthday.

Well done The Crown. We shall definitely be returning, as soon as my implant arrives in the post, unless a pair of socks will do.

5  Thank Arthurlonius
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

We have enjoyed numerous meals at The Crown but about a year or so ago, it suddenly went down hill. The staff were the same and just as good but the food really had changed for the worse. We thought we’d give it another chance in the new year and bingo - it was excellent in every way. We have been back twice since and each time it was faultless. The seafood platter for two is outstanding.