“Basking in its former glory ”

Alexander House Utopia Spa
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We've visited numerous times over the last 6 years or so and the last couple of times have not been as good. The place is looking tired - holes in walls, peeling paint, mouldy sealant, etc, pop up wherever you look. Also the staff don't seem to care any more, they all looked frantic and overworked, nervous perhaps. We had 4 different waiters serve us our distinctly average lunch. No one seemed to be in charge. It felt to me like some bad management at a higher level being communicated down, but who knows. I think we'll be going somewhere else next time, which is a shame because we've had some great times here over the years.

Sindarmy V, Guest Services Manager at Alexander House Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Dear basstaverns,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor following your recent day at Alexander House Hotel and Utopia Spa.

I was disappointed to read that your last visit with us did not meet your expectations . Here at Alexander House, we strive to provide our guests with a superior quality of service and I was quite surprised at your comments regarding the maintenance of the spa and the service provided by the staff throughout your visit. Although I understand this is a matter of opinion, please allow me to offer our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion of Alexander House,

Kind regards,

in 4 reviews
"enjoyed our stay"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This is a beautiful place. Great setting, great building, impressive, clean facilities.

I arrived mid morning, got a nice welcome, then I was lead to some seats to fill out a couple of forms.

I was told to help myself to hot drinks, and a biscuit, but then the lady said ‘oh, it looks like all the biscuits are nearly gone, never mind!’ ... I was expecting her to say ‘but don’t worry, I’ll bring out some more!’ But after I picked out the last (stale) one, there was just an empty plate which she duly collected without replenishment.

The day went well though, the pool etc are lovely, and the outdoor Jacuzzi/ spa pool is fantastic, unless of course you have the noisy backdrop of a man above you spraying moss on the masonry above you and goodness knows what else with a pressure washer. I would have expected that sort of thing to be handled out of hours!

The onto the massage. It’s clear this wasn’t a good day for the therapist. Her mood was coming through on the treatment, and her rapport was pretty icy. maybe she was just having a bad day, and we are all people at the end of the day. Sadly, this occurred through my treatment. Maybe they just don’t look after their staff to keep them happy, as there was a general ‘air’ around the staff.

All in all, not the best experience, but the facilities were impressive. I’ll probably go again one day, but it won’t be first on my revisit list.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

My friend and I visited the spa as a day treat. We took advantage of the deal and paid extra for more expensive treatments. İn total £220 each! We were hoping for the most amazing two treatments.
We had a facial treatment which was amazing. We couldn't wait for the treatment called 'Go Figure. I've had this treatment before and couldn't wait for my friend to experience it. Its a vigorous scrub, massage then wrap.
Ooooh dear.....I was given a quick scrub, a super quick massage on my legs, then a wrap. While I was wrapped, my head was massaged so poorly that it burned my scalp. For £95 and 50 mins I felt completely let down.
I informed the staff who just apologized. We both thought our treatment was sub-standard. Considering together we spent over £400+ for a day treatment we would expect the highest quality of treatments.
Sadly we left deflated. Would we go back there? No.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Booked a two-night break for my mum’s 70th birthday. As it was a treat, I went for this hotel as it boasted a fantastic spa and it is 5*. The spa surely doesn’t disappoint.
Our room, just a standard double, did. It was small, quite basic and with a wall for a view! Not what you’d expect in a fancy hotel, even if you only booked a standard room!
The hotel has two restaurants - one fine dining one, which we did not try, and one less fancy where we had dinner, which was very tasty and beautifully presented, quite expensive though.
Not much to do outside the hotel, as it’s quite remote.
Enjoyed our stay but not sure I’d return.

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 March 2018

Spa Lunch Package, my friends starter arrived within 10 minutes, mine however took another 10 minutes, I had to leave the table to ask why it hadn't arrived, hence my friend had to eat his starter cold. Main course was delivered both together this time, but then I sat there with no cutlery for 5 minutes, for which I had to request again, hence we both had cold mains, I also had pre ordered a side of buttered new potatoes, which did not arrive at all. My main consisted of two dollops of runny cold mash potato and the smallest piece of cold confit chicken.
Massages - the was the worst massage I have ever had, the whole experience comprised of effleurage throughout, with absolutely no pressure at all. The overall cost for this spa day was £458 (2 course lunch for 2, massage x 2 and use of the pool, hot tub and sauna and refreshments)
I have emailed regarding the awful service received, but not surprisingly I have had no reply.