See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 October 2018

I've never done a bad review but thought long and hard before deciding to book this hotel as it was only for one night and we were offered a good deal, as we returned our daughter back to University. It's conveniently situated, off road parking, although yep! down a rather steep slope. I would not want to walk out at night. Apparently the hotel is under going refurbishment but we didn't see anything that proved there was anything being done, although we did arrive at the weekend. If there were rooms that had been refurbished, I don't know why we weren't offered one as the one we had, although clean, was desperate in need of attention - the bathroom door had no lock on it - the inside of which was filled with toilet paper and in actual fact looked as though someone had tried to put their fist through the door. Saying that the fish n'chip dinner was the best and the breakfast was more than ample, in both selection and self-serve. I think it would be nice to see some of the refurbished rooms now on the website and I might consider returning there again. This was an affordable one night stay, the staff were friendly, the room, although needing attention, was clean, the bed comfortable, but next time I'll ask for a room out the back, when the window is open, the road does seem to be busy. I wonder how long the refurbishment is being planned for?

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room and preferably one away from the main road.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

I would highly recommend this hotel if you re planning a peaceful holiday! The staff were very kind and helpful. Located few minutes from shopping mall, bus station, etc.

For a holiday were we needed just a location to rest after a day touring around it is ideal.

There was a party on a Saturday in the hotel which caused a bit of disturbance but it was bearable.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Miriana A
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

Thank God it was only a one night stay.
The photos don't really do the place any justice. They don't give you the stale smell.
I'm sat on the end of my bed writing this review and waiting for breakfast. I can't wait to see what gastronomical delights await me.
Give this place a wide swerve.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Hotel M, Receptionist at International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2018

Hello Jamie,
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the International Hotel. We will speak to the housekeeping and the management will be alerted immediately about this as well.
We hope that we will see you again so you can see the changes made.
Kind Regards,
Reception Tema

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Nothing like the phots I saw on the website!!This Hotel may be going through refurbishment but that’s no excuse for the shabbyness of the place. The people on reception were friendly. The corridor we were on constantly stunk of smoke! Our key was not working and had to get this seen to twice.. Our room smelt musty too, in-fact we had to buy a glade candle and used a full can of deodorant to try n mask smell and we were only there 1 night! (Thank goodness) the bathroom could have been cleaner.
The breakfast wasn’t nice, we went down about 9am, it looked like everything had been out since 7! I had to ask for some fresh toast doing! There wasn’t any and the toast the chef had done was crispy like fried bread been there ages! I’m vegan so fortunately took my own milk, there wasn’t much else I had, the cereals didn’t look appealing or the fruit. My partner ate some Cooked breakfast and said it was rubbery, not very nice. We would not recommend staying here. Much nicer, cleaner, fresher hotels in Derby.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Hello,
We are truly sorry you had such a bad experience while staying at the International Hotel. Your review will be immediately passed on to the management so they can investigate the cigarette smoke immediately as we are a completely non smoking hotel, and speak with housekeeping and breakfast staff as well. We offer our sincerest apologies and hope that you did not give up on us yet and will come back to see the changes made.
Kind regards,
Adela, Reception Team

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

I've spent numerous times here although not a bad hotel the location is bad, It is close to the city centre but it's also close to the riff raff, The hotel has been there many years and the Xmas day dinners are fab,

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Hotel M, Receptionist at International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Hello Gemma,
Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you have been coming to see us over the years and enjoyed our Christmas dinners! Although we are sorry if our location was ever an inconvenience. We hope that we will see you once again!
Kind Regards,