“Civil wedding and reception”
Review of Cedar Court Hotel

Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 3 October 2016

I had the pleasure to be commissioned as Toastmaster/Master of Ceremonies by a bridal party who had there civil wedding and reception at the Cedar Court Hotel, Harrogate (Best Western) weekend 30th September - 2nd October 2016.
What a pleasure to arrive at a hotel which is spotlessly clean, organised and friendly, it makes my job so much easier.
The staff were very supportive, wedding organisers and their team very efficient.
I have been retained by the best establishments in the hospitality industry and will not associate my name with those that do not meet my high standards. I am extremely glad and willing to say that the Cedar Court Hotel meets those exacting standards and I would not hesitate to highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the future.
I hope to be invited back in the future.
Congratulations to all concerned.

Room Tip: All rooms offer comfort and amenities required
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank Steve H
Simon C, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2016

Dear Steve H,

Many thanks for your kind review following Friday's wedding reception which is very kind of you. It was great to meet you and thank you for adding to the professionalism of the day and working so smoothly with my operational team to make the day such a special one for the Bride & Groom and their guests.

Hope to see you back here again very soon and until then, my sincere thanks again.

Simon J Cotton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,385)

Reviewed 3 October 2016

We had our wedding there on 3rd october 2015 so we booked again to spend our 1 year anniversary there and we were not dissapointed, everything went smoothly and we were greeted with a chilled bottle of presecco in our room free of charge which was a nice touch. the room was a good size and was clean and tidy, we really enjoyed our night there. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. thank you Cedar court for making our anniversary special.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank richard p

Dear richard p,

Huge thanks for the 5/5 review which means so much to us here at the hotel. I'm delighted to see you decided on spending you 1st Anniversary back here at the Cedar Court and hope that this will become a small tradition in the many years to come ! (...feel free to add birthdays and other special occasions if you want ! ;-) )

Sincere thanks again and congratulations on your 'Paper' Anniversary and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 'Cotton' one next year !

Simon J 'COTTON'

Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Me and my family stayed 1 night here for a treat for my mums birthday.. When we arrived yesterday there was a wedding taking place so when checking in it was a little busy which was to be expected.. we were all out for the afternoon in any case.. on returning I tried to phone down to reception around 6/7 times and got no answer.. on my last attempt I got through and asked if I could book a table for 4 in the restaurant for 8.30.. This was all ok and I believed we were booked in.. When we got to the restaurant at 8.30 we were told we were not booked in and would have to wait around 10/15 minutes to be able to be seated.. Which was disappointing but we agreed.. Thankfully the food was good. It was the service in the bar area afterward that I was most disappointed with.. There in fact were 2 wedding receptions going on last night. So this meant the guest bar was inadequately staffed as most of the wedding parties were using this bar. They only had 2 members of staff serving so you would be waiting at the bar a good 10/15 minutes to get a drink. This was after the cock up with the reservation for dinner so it was quite late at this point.. I know the hotel caters for weddings but it also needs to remember it's guests who are there maybe for the odd night who want a nice relaxed drink in the bar after a meal. As not only was there a problem with slow service, there were also people smoking in the ladies toilets. I don't think this hotel to be of 4 star standard.. the rooms were outdated and needed updating. And there didn't seem to be enough staff to cope with the guests in the hotel including weddings taking place aswell. The rooms also had a musty smell about them aswell.. I don't think I would stay at this hotel again unless the room rate was more aligned with what the hotel should be which is a 3 star. Definitely not a 4 star.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank DeniseH1977
Simon C, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Dear DeniseH1977,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the weekend. I appreciate the hotel was extremely busy with a couple of large functions on and I am sorry if this impacted negatively on your stay overall. I was pleased to read you had a good meal in our new Porterhouse Restaurant however and I thank you for these kind comments and balanced feedback. I do hope you will consider staying with us again when I hope to be able to provide you with the usually very high standards and superior service we are known for and please let me know if you do book again and I will ensure you are well looked after.

With thanks again,

Reviewed 30 September 2016

This hotel looks good from the outside and is in a nice part of the outskirts of Harrogate, the service was extremely slow at reception, at breakfast at the bar and in the restaurant.

The rooms had a lot of problems, the cleanliness was poor on arrival the room was sub standard in terms of cleaning and so was the servicing of the room the following day, the bedroom ceiling was damaged and the sleep quality was poor with the lift noise and door banging, I believe the room door was a poor fit causing any air movement to make the door bang all night long. I also found the hotel short of atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Simon C, General Manager at Cedar Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2016

Dear Anna_hallas,

I'm sorry to read that we did not live up to our usually very high standards of guest service and care and our hotel was not to your liking. Your final comment however surprises me the most and wonder therefore whether our hotel is just not to your preference. If however you think you could give us another chance, please get in touch directly as I'm confident that we could change your opinion of us very easily.

With thanks and apologies again in the meantime.

Reviewed 29 September 2016

Stayed for two nights, had a nice room overlooking the Stray which we had requested, so very happy with that. No fridge in the room which is disappointing for a hotel of this rating. We had dinner included for one night and booked for 7 p.m. There were only two other people being served at this time and tables were still being set. We were made to stand and wait while watching them do this before they showed us to a table.
Our order was taken promptly, but there was confusion as to what was included in our dinner package and they had to go to reception to verify. The two course dinner for two was in fact an allowance, so if you went over that you paid extra. After a 50 minute wait when the restaurant had now become full we asked after our dinner and it finally arrived 10 minutes later!!! Very small portions and not particularly tasty. It didn't seem home cooked so goodness knows why it took so long. A small Fish Pie and a small portion of beef bourguignon with a blob of mash and a few green beans. The following morning we had a very average breakfast where the hot food was sloppily placed and not very appealing. We had to ask someone for tea or coffee and the reluctant service is palpable. Our final morning we queued for 15 minutes even though the breakfast room was almost empty before anyone led us to a table, and this got worse as the time crept up until 10 a.m. where the queue was back to reception although tables were available no one bothered to show anyone to them. When we checked out we complained and were told a member of staff had called in sick. But we had watched the restaurant staff wander about and blatantly ignore their customers. Everyone was complaining and absolutely nothing was done. "Best" Western, I don't think so.The location is handy for town and the parking is useful. Otherwise book somewhere else

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank oap46

Dear oap46,

Thank you for your review and feedback which is appreciated. I'm glad you liked the hotel overall but sorry to read we let ourselves down in the restaurant on this occasion and I offer my sincere apologies. We have made some changes and I'm confident you will see significant improvement on your next visit which I hope you'll consider.

With thanks again.