3,779 results
All reviews premium room afternoon tea leisure facilities evening meal refurbished room three course meal large hotel town centre spa break bit dated self service lots of choice old building buffet style one night stay enjoyable stay birthday treat
Reviewed 7 May 2015

We booked a 2 night deal which included dinner and afternoon tea at the weekend.
The onsite car park (which you pay for) was nearly full but considering the capacity of the hotel was not a surprise. I didn't want to use my car whilst staying in case I couldn't get parked again.
The hotel has an old world charm, our room on the 2nd floor was comfortable with a reasonably sized bathroom.
I must compliment the restaurant staff who at both dinner and breakfast were cordial and efficient. The dinner was OK and the buffet breakfast was very nice.
The one thing that soured our stay was at check out.
When we had booked we were asked if we would like to upgrade to a Premium Room at an extra cost which we agreed to.
At check in the same price was mentioned but at check out when I was given the bill, the price had somehow tripled. This was eventually corrected but I wondered how it could happen if everyone was using the same computer program.
Overall a good weekend stay.

Room Tip: I only saw my own room which was OK
1  Thank El_Gran_Pedro
TheHotelCollection, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2015

Dear El_Gran_Pedro,

I am thrilled to read that overall your stay here was thoroughly enjoyable from your room to the exceptional service you received throughout your stay. I am however sorry for the issue with your bill and this will be investigated to see what went wrong. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We hope to welcome you back next time you are visiting Harrogate.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 7 May 2015

Just got back from the majestic hotel after booking I read the reviews and was a bit apprensive , as I have just got a dog and it is a dog friendly hotel I only booked a standard room there was some bad reviews saying that they were not up to much and the premier rooms had been upgraded. Anyway on arrival I told them my dog would only be in the room when we were and would be in her cage , while we ate she was in the car. They said its OK and they would give us a larger room we were quite supprised to find we were given a two bedroom room with a large living area facing the lovely gardens.
Yes it was a bit dated and the three piece suite was in need of a recover but room was clean and comfortable and well worth what I had paid for.
As for the staff all were very obliging and friendly , the morning we left at breakfast a waiter called David ( Spanish ) was the most pleasant young man I've ever met he couldn't do enough for people with a huge lovely smile hope they tell him and give him a pat on the back he deserves.

Really enjoyed our stay, but if there is one thing to complain about its the car park charge of £5 per night which mounts up if your there a few nights as we were as my husband is disabled he gets free parking everywhere. During our stay there was a seminar on in town and the hotel allowed about 200 cars to park in their grounds they were everywhere all over the lovely lawned gardens it was impossible to leave just in case we couldn't get parked on return as my husband can hardly walk.

Room Tip: Book a premier room otherwise a bit dated
2  Thank Josie R
TheHotelCollection, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2015

Dear Josie R,

Thank you for the review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Majestic Hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read that the team are continually delivery excellent results and I look forward to welcoming you back for another visit again very soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2015

Stayed at the Majestic last weekend for one night, in what was supposed to be the perfect romantic night away for my wife's birthday. When we arrived there was a huge queue of people waiting to check in and over-hearing some of the conversations taking place between those in the queue and the staff on reception, it was obvious that they were understaffed. Once chap and his wife had been waiting an hour to check in and we overheard him being told that his room still wasn't ready, to say that he was unhappy was an understatement, the word refund was mentioned several times. The lady in the queue in front of me had been told her room would definitely be ready in 5 minutes, 45 minutes previously - she'd been back to reception twice already! When I got to the desk and asked to check in, I already knew what the answer would be. We were given a complimentary drinks voucher each, (soft drink or tea/coffee only) and were invited to wait in the lounge bar. I asked "how will we know when our room is ready?", the receptionist replied "You'll need to come back and check in 15 minutes". I had a feeling thats what she'd say. As a comparison, we once stayed in a smart small-ish hotel in Surrey. The room wasn't ready, but despite this, the receptionist had someone take our bags for us, showed us through to the bar and instructed the barman to serve us a drink of our choice. When the room was ready, she sent someone to tell us, keys in hand who told us how to get there and informed us that our luggage had been carried up for us. So, back to the Majestic. I had spent the extra money to get a suite as I specifically wanted a luxurious bathroom with a jacuzzi bath in which my wife could relax, drink wine and forget about the children. The room was spacious, I wouldn't say luxurious as the decor was dated and the layout was a bit odd. Most of the extra square footage in the room itself is taken up by a long, wide corridor which opens out into what is ostensibly an average sized double room. The bathroom was large (long) and was more modern than the bedroom. Both the bedroom and the bathroom had been cleaned very well, which was nice. However, the tiles on the bathroom floor were loose where the grouting had come away, they moved quite significantly when stepped on. We excitedly ran a bath and found the remote for the jacuzzi functions. There was a display on the edge of the bath that began to display random numbers, "ooh' we exclaimed, thinking it was about to do something magical and bubbly. The numbers kept changing to random values every few seconds. We had absolutely no idea what they meant. We pressed buttons on the remote, nothing happened. We pointed the remote in varying angles of attack at the bath and frantically pressed more buttons, nothing, but we still had the random numbers on the display. We looked for instructions in the room, there weren't any. I picked up the phone and called down to reception, I spoke to a guy who apologised and said he'd get someone from maintenance to come and look at it. We sat around in our matching dressing gowns and waiting for a knock on the door. Twenty minutes later, still no knock so I called down again and this time there was no answer so I gave up and called housekeeping instead. I got a recorded message saying they're only open to 5pm?! In a hotel this size?! We'd be sat around now for over 30 minutes. Eventually I got through to the same guy on reception again who said he'd come up personally and have a look. 15 minutes later he appeared and I suggested that he take the remote for the bath away and change the batteries as he had no idea how the bath worked either, he said he'd be back in 5 minutes. Sure enough, 20 minutes later he returned and apologized saying that it doesn't take normal batteries and there was nothing more he could do. I was calm but explained I was really disappointed and we'd been waiting over an hour. After some awkward silences, he said he'd take a chunk of money off our bill to reflect this. I agreed and he left. We spent a pleasant night and went into Harrogate for dinner. In the morning we went down for breakfast and were met with another queue, not so big this time but SLOW moving. The huge grand ballroom is an impressive setting for breakfast but it was immediately evident that they were really understaffed for such a big room. The poor girl checking the breakfast reservations had to check off each name and then show each party to a table, explain where everything was and take tea and coffee orders before returning to her position near the entrance of the room to greet the next in the queue. She did her best of course, but this is really poor organisation. It just takes too long, I felt sorry for the staff. There was no sign of a restaurant manager or head waiter to oversee anything, just really inefficient, overstretched service. By contrast the food itself was pretty good, but it took ages to be replenished - again a service issue. No-one seemed to be in charge. When we came to check out, I went to speak to the girl on reception to explain our situation from the previous evening and check the partial refund had been organised as promised. I wasn't surprised when she looked confused and told me that she had no record of it. What shocked me more was what she said next. "We wouldn't normally give a refund in this situation anyway sir" "but your colleague last night told me he'd sort it out, I don't think its very fair that I specifically spent the extra money to book a suite so we could have a jacuzzi bath and the bath didn't work" "Yes sir" she replied, "but in our advertising, we don't actually make any promises that the jacuzzi baths work....." ".........WHAT??, excuse me??!?!" "We're about to replace the baths anyway" she smiled. Just as I was picking my jaw up from the floor, she found a record on their computer with reference to the discount that we'd been promised. £35 off. I wasn't in the mood to pursue the matter any further and we left. Its such a shame that this amazingly grand hotel is so badly managed. Invariably, enormous palatial hotels like this require constant maintenance and MUST have to have an effective, hands-on and visible management structure to make sure everything runs smoothly, that there are always enough staff to look after customers properly and deal with any problems swiftly and without fuss. Incidentally as we were leaving and I looked up at the beautiful facade of the Majestic Hotel in the sunshine, a man strode past me with his wife saying "we're not staying in this b***** place again that's for sure". Such a shame. I really wanted it to be amazing....

1  Thank Nick S

Dear Nick S,

Thank you for your extensive review and I am disappointed to read that your stay with us did not run as smoothly as one would hope and for this, I apologise.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to contact me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss your stay in greater detail.

General manager

Reviewed 5 May 2015

A very beautiful Victorian Property sensitively refurbished.
The staff are helpful and friendly.
The food was OK nothing special.
The bar was lacking in choice.
Very clean and everything you need to tick four star rating but far too corporate for my liking.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear BradLancs,

Thank you for the review ad I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Majestic Hotel.

It is also nice to read that the team were really friendly, and I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2015

Stayed here for 2 nights for a friends wedding. The room we were put in was tired and in need of modernisation. Although the room was a decent size, the bathroom was small and needed some serious tlc as well as a good plunge of the blocked bath tub. What was most surprising was to be awoken by the sounds of a dog barking from the room next door! Initially I thought it was coming from outside so I was pretty horrified to learn it was in the hotel. A call to reception and they sent somebody up and strangely the dog stopped. I thought perhaps it could have been a blind dog but sure enough the owner was freely walking it down the corridor the next morning. I've never heard of this as hotel policy before! Breakfast was good as was the location but if you're looking for value for money then I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms...

Dear Andrea M,

Thank you for the review and I am pleased that overall, you did enjoy your stay with us.

We are a dog-friendly hotel and we welcome your four-legged friends to come and stay with us as well. You can find more information here: http://www.thehotelcollection.co.uk/about-pages/dog-friendly-hotels/

I do hope that you will consider another stay with us again very soon.