“one of the pubs we visited on our Harrogate break”
Review of The Old Bell

The Old Bell
Ranked #84 of 400 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

A lovely pub in a nice location,great beers & very friendly staff,the food looked very good too,would go back.

1  Thank Allan T

Reviewed 4 April 2018

arrived expecting there was a brasserie upstairs but was told it wasn't open. However the pub grub menu downstairs had some homemade specials on a blackboard. We chose "Scouse" lamb stew, mash, pickled beetroot and crusty bread which was excellent and both dishes were all polished off by us! The staff were friendly and showed us where Farrah's Toffee Shop was. The pub was quiet and relaxed and without loud piped music which a lot of public houses seemed to have. It was dog friendly too and I am sure I saw a jar of dog biscuits on the bar which is a nice touch. Lots of comfy seats and tables were well spaced out. Well worth finding and just across the road from the Pump Room Mueseum

1  Thank John M
Reviewed 1 April 2018

A welcoming smile, good choice of proper beer, a new cider for me and even a dog to fuss - what more can you want!

1  Thank Sheelagh123
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Was introduced to this place a few years ago by a friend, it was warm, inviting with good beer and a buzzing atmosphere with old world charm. Recently went in with a group of friends, having not been for at least a couple of years, I was quite excited to go there.
When I got there, I discovered the place had been refurbed; the charm had gone, the place felt cold and unwelcoming, and we were greeted by an unsmiling barman who glared at us as we approached the bar. Even the Rooster ale I used to buy here was apparently 'off' with no explanation why.
The food was overpriced, and with different ingredients than stated on the menu, luckily I don't have any allergies! The place now has an 'upmarket' vibe to it which completely alienates the average person such as myself. I felt completely out of place and was glad to leave!

2  Thank sn0wybear
HeronBrearleyPubs, Marketing Administrator at The Old Bell, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi there sn0wybear

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your feedback of The Old Bell.

Nearly a year ago, The Old Bell was refurbished and whilst we kept the heart of what makes the pub special, including the antique dresser and the original Farrah toffee shop memorabilia, we also looked to open the pub up to make it a lighter and more accommodating space for all our customers to relax and enjoy the surroundings. With this in mind, I am sorry to learn you felt the charm was missing.

I am sorry to hear you were me with an unsmiling barman. Here at The Old Bell, we always look to provide a high standard of customer service and I am disappointed this was not reflected in your recent visit.

All our dishes are cooked to order, using the freshest of high quality ingredients and we feel the prices of our meals reflect the quality of the dish you receive and are in line with what other pubs and restaurants offer. Due to our suppliers, sometimes we are forced to produce a dish using different ingredients to those stated on our menus. However, if this does occur, we look to advise our customers accordingly if they are ordering such dish and I am sorry this was not done in your case as we take allergen information very seriously.

With this in mind, I would be grateful if you could email me at feedback@hb.im with the date you visited and the meals you ordered.

Kind regards
Lauren
Marketing Administrator

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Great traditional pub serving a wide range of bears and other beverages in a spacious setting. A regular favourite of mine for a couple of pints.

1  Thank Oldbiker55