“Consistently brilliant!”

Price range: USD 20 - USD 30
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We have friends who live in the village and are lucky enough to call this their local. We have been many times and love staying overnight in the very comfortable rooms.

Where to start...great food, lovely owners and staff, comfortable rooms, great breakfasts...

We stayed this weekend and arrived in time for lunch, good selection of menu options but knowing we were eating in the evening opted for a BLT baguette, the other half had a pate ploughmans and looking around the table our friends had selected various dishes from brocolli and stilton soup to ham baguettes...all served with a smile and declicious.

Having saved ourselves for the main event eight of us pitched up for dinner and after much deliberation ordered our food whilst enjoying a drink in the bar. We were shown to the table when our starters were ready and how good were they :) Not a lot of talking as we tucked into whitebait, pate, brie, mushrooms, suckling pig rissoles...all beautifully cooked. The mains did not dissapoint and my sea bream fillets were cooked to perfection and served with my choice of jacket potato and fresh veg. Lamb shanks were popular as were the steaks but for the carnivores the mixed grill one of our party had was amazing, more amazing still that he finished it! Some opted for dessert and some coffee and that along with some great wine left us full and happy! A nightcap in the bar followed and then the bill...extremely reasonable and worth every penny.

A good nights sleep and somehow some room for a beautifully cooked breakfast and it was time to say goodbye to our friends after another perfect stay.

Well done Carlos, Sue and Steph for looking after us all and we can't wait to come back.

1  Thank KazpUk

Reviewed 15 November 2010

Visited this well renowned eatery early November. We were a party of 7 people. The place was empty. The bar staff (2) did not look very happy and indeed it took some time for them to greet us. We had a cake and flowers for the birthday girl in the party. We went purely on recommendation as we had been told how wonderful it was. Half the menu was off ? on a Saturday night???? The fish was down to 2 pieces of salmon and other fish oddments. The food was not particularly inspiring. The build up for this place was amazing from quite a few people. We mentioned to the waitress, who was very nice, that the fish was not good as the batter had been cooked in old oil and not at a high temp hence the fish was fatty. She passed this on to the chef but we never saw him. We then went home very upset as this is not a cheap place to eat and we wrote to the owners and to date 2 weeks later we have not heard a word. I felt very embarrassed as I had told my family what a lovely place it is supposed to be. We will NEVER GO there again........

1  Thank TuttiFrutti187045
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Husband and I ate here last night as a celebration meal of our meeting, yes we met on Fri 13th Aug (way back in 1982). Having read previous TA reviews on this pub restaurant I was really keen to try it especially as my hubby has as parchent for Stilton cheese. Although a lot of their dishes are fish they do have chicken and steak dishes too for those of you who are not fish eaters (like myself). Hubby decided to go for a steak with stilton and mushroom sauce and onion rings as a side dish, the onions rings were delicate and light (real ones not the mush you usually get), he got quite a dishfull too. The chips that came with his meal were the chunkiest I'd ever seen. I opted for the chicken breast with bacon and cheese which was far to large for me to eat all by myself, luckily hubby has a big appetite and helped me out as I wanted to save room for dessert. I had baby new potatoes and a selection of fresh vegetable to go with it (which came as part of the meal not separate ordered side dishes), all served up in their own dishes and all the food was piping hot. Still couldn't eat all of mine and even hubby left some of his, he did have a starter though and opted out of dessert favouring a floater coffee. My dessert choice was the treacle tart with vanilla ice cream, lovely pastry and tart must've been home made, not like you get in the shops, just like nanna/mum used to bake. Will obviously eat here again. Car park is available around the side of the building so is off road but as this restaurant tends to be very popular and got quite busy by the time we'd left there is limited spaces so you could end up parking on the road. Lovely covered seating area outside and they also have accommodation! A bit of a Tardis too as is much bigger inside than it looks from the front, the pub bar area itself is a bit on the small side and I can see it being a tight squeeze on a busy night, all in all a very good venue and experience though spoiled slightly by the obnoxious man drinking at the bar with a female guest and talking (and swearing) quite loudly, seemed to be voicing his opinion on how in no uncertain terms he would deal with the small child that was crying around the other side of the bar!

Reviewed 22 May 2010

I often go to the Stilton Cheese, usually at lunchtime with the work crowd and sometimes in the evening with my wife and friends. Each time I am not disappointed, the food is excellent.

The decor whilst in keeping with the traditional feel does feel over tired and could do with some attention.

My luchtime staples:
Fish and Chips; amongst the best I have ever had and as the son of a one time fish and chip shop of the year winner I have tasted some great F&C. The batter is very, very light and crispy and the fish always tastes fresh and moist, the chips are good, the mushy peas lovely and the homemade tartar sauce gorgeous.
Ploughmans; should be the lighter options but the wedge of cheese (Stilton or Cheddar) put paid to that. I ausually request a bit of Ham with my ploughmans as an extra, lovely thick hand carved accompanied the pickled onion, gherkin, apple, pickle and warm bread amongst other fresh salad staples.

I've also had the liver, bacon and onions a couple of times. I don't get this at home as the wife is not a fan so I look forward to it at the Cheese and it always hits the spot. Lots of Liver, tasty gravy, piping hot vegetables and a choice of potato's.

If none of the above rock your boat, there is load of choice in particular Fish of all variety cooked all ways.

Would thoroughly recommend this place.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 25 July 2008

fantastic place to eat..staff brilliant...if you like fish you will love it here...and the steaks are wonderful!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook