“What to favour: the grounds or the history?”

Tullynally Castle & Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Landscape gardens in the Midlands of Ireland surrounding 18th century gothic castle. Open during April through to end of September, includes coffee shop. Guided group tours of the castle available with pre-booking, minimum 20 people.
Reviewed 6 October 2017

For history lovers, wooldland walkers and garden fanciers this is a great place to visit.
Part of the former horse stables are being used as a coffee place without disturbing the original feel or atmosphere of the location.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"llamas"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

I was looking for something to do in the area and a few locals had mentioned Tullynally Castle and although I'd never heard of it decided to try it out. I was very lucky. I arrived shortly after opening on a Friday off season so I more or less had the grounds to myself. Tea room could probably do with some TLC but the women who greeted me was lovely. It was nice to be able to grab a takeaway coffee before I headed on. The gardens themselves are beautiful. And the castle is very pretty. They provide a pocket map with two loops and I would recommend doing the longer one as it really doesn't take all day. You could do it all in an hour and a half at a leisurely pace. The gardens are really well looked after but it is quite wet in parts so wear suitable shoes. The one recommendation. I would make is to add a few bins in as I had to carry my cup with me all the way round, not the end of the world I know, but doesn't encourage you not to litter!

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We recently visited the tea rooms which are very poor. Cold and dirty, in great need of some TLC. Cold coffee and average food. No atmosphere. Such a shame as the gardens are well worth a visit.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I had been here the year before, but this time I stopped and had tea and a scone in the courtyard behind the castle. The owners of the castle rent the lodging in the gate structure behind the castle to 3-4 different tenants, and it looks a little rundown and detracts from the general appearance of the castle itself. It's such a beautiful castle, especially with the grounds and garden. There weren't many tourists visiting when I was there, and the tea room wasn't as attractive as others I've been to in Ireland, although it was okay.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I love Tullynally! Although it is called Castle and Gardens however, it is more about trees than plants. You can easily spend a number of hours here walking around doing the tree trail and also looking at the little houses or gazebos dotted around the estate as well as the little faces carved into trees.

It's not well know, which is why I say undiscovered. And yes you do get other tourists there, but nothing like Powerscourt in Wicklow or other places. If you love trees you have to go to Tullynally.

They do have a coffee shop, which is important and the coffee is good there. I didn't do the house tour as that only takes place on Sunday afternoons around 3pm I think. They say it is just the servants quarters but apparently you also see some big rooms. This is because the family still lives there.

But definitely worth a visit!

1  Thank mmmmhh