“Lovely”

Sligo Southern Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Lets start
Day before i called to ask about packages they have girl on the phone didnt know but she was so lovely.. when we arrived i was pleasantly suprised by beautiful hotel clean parking.
Hotel is clean, people on reception where very polite and helpful..
Center is close, 2 min by walk
Anyway perfect hotel for holidays 80 euros for two person

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jana44444

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

Reception staff were lovely, bar staff not as nice in da evening time, on phone etc, I felt I was da working and not relaxing, they had a lovely girl working on Sunday afternoon, her name was nicki, she was working like any barperson should, friendly and chatty,

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

I stayed only one night and it was absolutely fantastic. Nice and very polite staff at reception and in the bar. Very warm and comfortable room. The bed was absolutely fantastic and the hotel well kept. The breakfast was delicious, plenty options and everything fresh. The manager Emily was always there to ensure everything was on point. Thank you all.

1  Thank Jefferson S
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I brought my wife here for two nights as a surprise birthday present which i bought through pigsback.com. Although I know Sligo well I had never stayed at the Southern. Lovely entrance, if dated, with a fire burning and comfy sofas and chairs around it. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the weekend.

Our room was small but comfortable, although lacked any drawers for string smalls! Samll bathroom witha shower which we had trouble getting hot water from the next morning. When we told them at reception they got someone to come and have a look at it but no luck there so they moved us to another room. this was much bigger but cold when we entered. turned heat on in the bedroom but heating didn't work in the bathroom or corridor room joining bedroom to bathroom. I reportrd this to reception but it was never fixed.

We ate the first night in the restaurant and food was ok at best. The restaurant is not very enticing decor wise.

Overall, not a bad hotel given its central location in Sligo town. Woudl we stay again? Probably. Staff are very nice and it's not a bad base to use to explore the many lovely attractions Sligo has to offer the visitor.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We visited sligo southern just over a week ago for 2 nights. When we arrived the hotel seemed old fashioned but nice and cosy with a bar to come into after the cold outside. We went to our room and dropped off our stuff and headed out to have a walk around sligo, a lovely place my first time there, so many different places for food and nice shops. When we got back to the hotel we were both feeling a little cold so I went to make a cup of tea before we went down for dinner. When I opened the press that contained the coffee facilities a old dirty cup with a tea bag and an empty milk was left inside the fridge, personally this made me feel the room was not given a proper clean which is never something you want in a hotel. We reported it to reception which in all fairness did handle it well and replaced it immediately. When checking in we asked the receptionist would it be okay to have our included meal in either the restaurant or the bar and she said normally it's the restaurant but she was sure the bar wouldn't be an issue and she would let them know. I didn't think it would be an issue anyways as that sort of thing is fine where I work when people aren't too fond of the restaurant menu. We went down to the restaurant to have a look at the menu and didn't like both the menu or the atmosphere in the restaurant so went upstairs to the bar and took a seat. I explained to the barman about us asking the receptionist could we eat here and we ordered some drinks. A few minutes later he came down with the same menu from the restaurant saying we could eat in the bar.. But with the restaurant menu. Seemed a bit ridiculous and obviously no communication was made but we said we would just finish our drinks and go back down to the restaurant. They did give us our beer and Jameson on the house for the cup situation which was much appreciated. So we went back down to the restaurant and I ordered the salmon and my fiance paid the extra for the 'Sirloin' steak. Well I have to say the cajun salmon was lovely but the steak was a different story. He ordered medium and I know personally from working in a kitchen sometimes steaks are sent back even when they are cooked how the customer ordered but it was almost like they forgot about the steak and when the order was sent away quickly seared it and sent it out, it was blue. So we sent it back and didn't ask for a new steak just this one to be cooked a bit more. It came out about 5 mins later with some fresh chips but they must have thrown it right onto the flame because this time it was cremated! He was so hungry he wasn't bothered to send it back. Also it was the same steak from a steak sandwich not a sirloin. We must have been taking too long with our food because the waitress came over and took the plate while he was still eating, unimpressed