“If you go down to the Westwood Woods today!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Westport Woods Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Westport
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lurgan, United Kingdom
“If you go down to the Westwood Woods today!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

We really were in for a great suprise. Wife and myself spent two brilliant days at this hotel and have nothing but praise for the staff, food and facilities. Travelled early on friday and climbed Croagh Patrick before booking into hotel. Staff were so friendly, chatty and helpful for anything we needed. The room we got was exellent and food was so delicious both for breakfast and dinners. We availed of the exellent leisure centre which eased our aching bones after the very hard mountain climb. Westport is a lively town and has much to offer.
On the saturday we drove up to Achill Island taking in the spectacular scenery which surrounds Westport in all directions. I would highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michaelwilliamson
Michael L, General Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Mwin

Thank you for your great review of my hotel and colleagues whom you've recommended. I agree Westport is such a lovely place to take a weekend away. There is so much to do and see over a weekend and most of it is free

I look forward to welcoming you back to Westport soon again. Ensure you take a look at our special offers page for our best value rates.

Yours sincerely

Michael Lennon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Booked through Groupon so a great deal and no expectations. Pleasantly surprised by this 3 star hotel. The staff are charming, both at the stables - we went horseriding on arrival - and in the hotel and leisure centre. The main areas are lovely, with lots of seating and real log fires. My partner wanted to watch the rugby on the Sunday of our Saturday and Sunday stay, and the Manager kindly put the big screen on for him as well as the smaller telly.
Breakfast was buffet style and ample and served til 11am - ideal for me being a lazy bones and rambling in at ten to. Lots had run out understandably, but I was brought fresh poached eggs and bacon directly from the kitchen. I think you can judge a place by the small details and the butter is beautifully curled in little dishes as opposed to the tacky catering individual foil wrapped portions.
Location wise, in the middle of a short walk to the town centre or the Quay. Quiet, peaceful location, without the noise experienced while staying at The Wyatt and The Castlecourt on previous trips to Westport.
Downside is that yes, the rooms are basic, but they are spacious and clean. Soundproofing wise, not great, but then I always travel with earplugs as the beloved snores horrendously.
If you want to avail of the spa - book in advance. No availability either Sat or Sunday. Also, strangely no brochure or booking diary at the hotel reception. Wandered down to Pool and Louise very helpful. On way back to room called into spa and felt they were a little snooty. Pool however is excellent. Warm and clean changing area and nice staff that leant me goggles. Remember to take a hat, or they are 3 euro.
Dinner nice and included in our deal. Warm bread rolls = Brownie Points from me!!! Pâté fine, sirloin v tough but tasty, desserts had practically run out.
All in all I would recommend this hotel, as it's great value, friendly and clean.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank MayoMatron
Dear Mayomatron

Thank you for your positive review of my hotel and colleagues whom looked after you during your recent stay with us. We love hearing when we get things right with both our welcome and service. This great response gives encouragement for further development and upgrading of our establishment.

Yours sincerely

Waterford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here with my wife last Friday and Saturday. Booked through Pigsback.com which gave us two nights bed and breakfast and an evening meal for €105.

My first good experience came on Thursday evening. I phoned the hotel to see would it be possible to check in early on Friday as I was travelling up from Waterford straight after a night shift. A lovely girl called Louise told me there'd be no problem at all and, sure enough, I arrived at reception at 12pm and was give room 307 straight away.

The room was very spacious, with a double bed and a single, as well as a table and two chairs, with a bay window and a lot of floor space. As another reviewer has said, the small flatscreen tv is dwarfed in the room but the tv itself is ok. A positive for me was the very thick, full-length curtains that kept out almost all light. The bathroom was perfectly fine too.

The one serious fault with the room was the bed. The mattress was about the hardest I've ever slept on. Neither I nor my wife had a great sleep either of the two nights.

The door to the room seems very old and cheap. It doesn't give a great impression and wasn't very good at its job of noise insulation. Same complaint for the bathroom door.

As was said by another reviewer, the corridor that leads to the room is very dark and doesn't look great.

I used the leisure centre facilities on two occasions over the weekend and it was brilliant. Plenty of room in the pool. Sauna, steam room and jacuzzi available. Changing and shower areas very clean. Towels provided at the desk. They'll even give you a euro for the locker if you've forgotten it!

We had our evening meal on Friday. It was ok. Menu was pretty limited. We both had the fillet steak which cost €12 extra. It was fine but certainly not worth the supplement. I had ice cream for dessert and there were just little pieces of ice in it so had obviously just been taken from the freezer and put in a bowl (which looked a little on the cheap side). If dinner isn't included, I wouldn't recommend paying €25 per head to eat here.

Breakfast was buffet-style and had plenty of selection.

One big positive about the hotel was its design and feel. There's lots of natural light through large windows, making the most of the magnificent views.

The staff were another big plus. Anyone I interacted with was very helpful and friendly. Special mention to the girl working in the leisure centre on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. She is exceptionally friendly and seemed to have a smile permanently on her face - no mean feat at 8am on a Sunday morning!

The hotel location was good too. It was just outside the town, easy to find and a good base for exploring.

For the price we paid, this would get 5 stars but I tried to review it from a more general perspective. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and if a few things were improved, it'd be a really excellent hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Niall K
Michael L, Manager at Westport Woods Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Nial K

Thank you for your review of my hotel. Yes I agree the Pigsback offer represents some great value and we've received plenty of bookings from it.

About 50% of our bedrooms have the doors you describe, they are the original ones from when the hotel was built by Jury's in the late 1960's. I might get away with them being described as 'antique' or 'Art Deco' , only joking. What I'm doing presently is freshly painting all of them and looking at ensuring that they are as soundproof as possible by placing pads upon the rebates. Our corridors have LED lighting that helps reduce our carbon footprint and be recognised as one of Ireland's Greenest Hotels.

Many of our bedrooms are getting new mattresses this year and I'll ensure that the bed your wife and yourself slept in gets a new one.

Our Lakeview Restaurant offers a selection of Irish and International dishes, with as many ingredients as possible sourced locally. The menu is changed daily and in most cases suits the clientele that visit my hotel. Of course that's not to say it cannot be improved with some new dishes and the use of more exciting ingredients. I feel our four course table d'hôte menu at Euro 25.00 represents great value. We do charge a supplement for individually cooked dishes and prime cuts which gives extra variety to our menu. We also offer a main course special in our Bench Cafe Bar from 12.00 to 15.00 euro and add in a glass of wine for less than four euro.

Thank you for positively mentioning my great colleagues whom looked after you both during your stay and really make the difference when it comes to enjoying a weekend with us in Westport.

I look forward to welcoming you back to my hotel once again.

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just back from a weekend in Westport which we really enjoyed. We booked the Westport Woods Hotel through Pigs Back.com and got at a great rate. When I was booking the 2 rooms I had requested that they would be next to one another and the receptionist very kindly organised this. We arrived at the hotel after 3.30pm got our room immediately. Reception staff were efficient and extremely friendly.

The hotel seems to be up-grading at the moment. Our room had new carpet and curtains which were great quality. The room was really spacious (I have been in hotel rooms that many were claustrophobic and were outrageously priced) so I immediately felt very comfortable and relaxed. We went down to the Leisure Centre and was very impressed with the cleanliness and very helpful staff. We used the Leisure Centre over the weekend which was very relaxing. We had dinner on the Friday night which was included in our package. Although the menu was limited we had a very enjoyable meal - the only fault that I had with the mains was the vegetables seemed to have been re-cyled more than once and my husbands chips had no flavour. The breakfast on both mornings were really good. Everything that was used up were replaced immediately. There was a constant flow of fried eggs, bacon etc. My son had to have an early breakfast at 8am and the cooked breakfast was not out for self service, but they took his order and got him a cooked breakfast which was great.

I cannot understand all the negative reviews on this hotel. I have gone to 5* establishments (one in Westport) and paid over the top prices, and came away unhappy from being unable to park the car at the front of the hotel just to offload our luggage, (we were made to move our car by one of the senior staff) staff overall grumpy, and a bus left running outside our window from 8.00am in the morning waiting for a tour to finish their breakfast.

We will certainly be back to the Westport Woods Hotel.

Room Tip: We had rooms 315 & 317 which were very pleasant
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank E M
Dear E M Galway

Thank you for your review of my hotel about your recent stay with your family. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed yourselves both in the town of Westport and at the hotel.

I'm glad you noticed that my colleagues look after our guests really really well both with interest and sincerity. They are all just the greatest.

So keep coming back and tell your friends and we'll look after them just as well.

I look forward to welcoming you back to my hotel soon again.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here saturday and sunday 25th feb 2012.My wife and I are in our late sixties .I cannot understand some of the bad reviews iv`e seen about this hotel. One review said the reception area was dirty,that is absolutely untrue.someone else complained about the breakfast. The breakfast was very good with everything you could want to choose from.
We went on a gift voucher from our son so I don`t know how much it cost but we were very pleased. We walked into town Sat night ,15 mins .All the bars are full of young people so we just had a couple in one facing Molloys and walked back to the hotel. I hadn`t realised they had entertainment on, two guys with guitars singing oldie songs.they were very good.On from 10 to 12. A pint of guinness cost 3.80 euro and 5 for a glass of wine
I don`t know about the rest of the hotel but the room we stayed in was very quite no.123 at the end of a long corridor. When we went the spa treatment was booked out so they offered us dinner on the monday instead. A little skimpy on the meat for dinner and the bottle of house wine cost 22euro.
There is a big indoor heated swimming pool and gym .There is a nice path leading down to a lake with a platform you can walk out onto.Very nice.
I would love to go back to this hotel but is too long a drive from Dublin, maybe next time i`ll take the train.
Don`t let the bad reviews put you off this is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gear0id
Dear gearOid

Thank you for your review of my hotel about your recent stay. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed yourselves both in the town of Westport and at the hotel.

I can't understand many of the negative comments about my hotel either but people will be people and in most cases where I believe the comments are genuine and relevant I will use them to try and improve our service and standards.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you both back to my hotel soon again.