“Mediocre experience”

El Toro BBQ
Ranked #72 of 343 Restaurants in Limerick
Price range: USD 9 - USD 14
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Casual dining at its best, fine Irish meat packed with flavour and nothing more. All we're doing is cooking some good food that we'd want to eat ourselves. Open charcoal grill with industrial smokers on site allows us to create that authentic Kansas City BBQ feel.
Reviewed 19 March 2018

A quick consultation of the internet appeared to suggest this was the only BBQ restaurant in Limerick. We decided to visit. There was snow outside so it did not surprise that us four were the only customers.

We ordered from the menu card. Two chicken, one burger and 'baby ribs' for me. These come with two side dishes. My ribs arrived showing no sign of ever been either near a flame or a griddle. On tasting it was warm but not hot. Being served in an enamel tray may be catchy but does not help the heat retention. Half way through my rack it was cold.

My rack was identical to the one you buy in Lidl or Aldi or Super Valu for €3.99. The only thing barbeque about it was the less than impressive tomato based sauce poured over it. If they had added the brown sachet that comes in the box it would have tasted more barbeque.

One of my guests eat only half his burger stating that it had flavour but no consistency. He rated it four out of ten, and he is an avid burger eater. My other two guests made no comment on their chicken which looked roasted and coated with a barbeque dusting.

I formed the opinion that this was a former ethnic restaurant that latched on to the more profitable BBQ trend of today but just did not get it.

On going to pay my bill by card I was told the internet was down and I had to brave the snow to a nearby ATM to get cash.

Of my 140+ TA reviews I have only once given below three stars when really disappointed by a meal or venue. I was tempted to break that rule again

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Visited for lunch. Food was amazing had lunch special of ciabatta and other guest had prawns . Kids menu was also good with a lot of variety. Great value for money. Best thing was owner who was our server and really friendly and really made the visit special . Definitely worth a repeat visit

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 24 October 2017

Had lunch here staff were nice, place is clean, the food was nice, presentation was good. it wasn't the nicest lunch i have had but OK.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 11 October 2017

wow what a gem of a place this joint is.
Its hard to get good bbq and this place certainly delivers
class!!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Ate here tonight food was quite nice I had the ribs very tender I felt that they could be a bit hotter. Sauce was very nice would go back again.1 burger ribs with sides and drink €29.00.

Date of visit: September 2017