All reviewshotel standardsfriendly mantwenty minute walkconvenient hotelpower showerhotel barshort walk into townstayed here for two nightsbuffet stylecomfortable staytedtaxi
Reviewed 9 June 2018

We found this place online and booked it for a one night stay in the lovely town of Kilkenny......had I read the negative reviews first, I probably would have gone elsewhere.
The hotel itself was basic, but clean and it suited our needs.
It was cheap at 49 euros and we didn't bother with breakfast due to previous negative reviews.......incidently, it was 10 euros each and not 7.50 as advertised on Booking.com.
Our only negative was the guy on reception who checked us in.
He was on the phone when we arrived and once he was free, we expected to have his attention.....however he then preceded to carry out various other tasks without a word to us until he finally acknowledged our presence.
He booked in and went through the usual spiel about restaurant and bar times etc and then took our money and handed us the key to our room, which was up 4 flights of stairs.
I noticed that on the desk it stated that a luggage lift was available and as we had pretty heavy cases, I asked to use it.
He said that they didn't have one and when I pointed out that the sign clearly said they did, he told us that the luggage lift is only available if we are disabled and that I would have to carry our cases up the 4 flights of stairs. I'm not disabled, but at 64 and having just driven several hundred kilometres, I could have done without it !
So all in all, a good enough hotel, in desperate need of some staff training.

Room Tip: Avoid upper floors unless you are feeling strong !
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

I was dreading going here after reading reviews and our taxi driving saying “oh your staying in fawlty towers” (this was the only hotel left in June bank holiday weekend). Anyway guy on reception was very friendly and nice. Room was more like a bnb style but quite comfortable, bed comfy, bleachy smell in bathroom and a bit dingy but again not very bad. Room was very warm at night, and walls are paper thin. We heard a lot of shouting and loud tv but we’re heavy sleepers so fell back asleep. What I will say is there was a lot of dirt and rubbish in hallways that wasn’t cleaned over the three days we were there. But in all this place is fine for laying your head in the evening and being out all day. But at nearly 300 euro for two nights, I’d expect a bit of a more modern, clean and customer focused place to stay. I’d stay here again in off peak season In order to explore the local area but wouldn’t eat it drink there. Overall the reviews are a bit harsh.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grace b
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Check in was informative and pleasant.
Room had a smell that we initially thought may have been stale smoke so we opened window and went down to eat. Disappointed that there was no separate restaurant. Food was available between 19.00 and 20.30 in the bar where 2 TVs were showing sports. This was not our idea of dining in a hotel. I ordered a rare steak which arrived shortly after. Unfortunately it was cremated and shrunken. The other lasagne dish had “squirty” mayonnaise on the side salad with the lasagne dumped on top of the chips. When the barman came over to ask if everything was ok I showed him the steak and asked if he’d sort something with the bill. He was very good and helpful and gave us a round of drinks as a goodwill gesture. (Didn’t eat steak!)
On returning to the room we discovered that the smell was coming from the bathroom. Seemed like a putrid drain smell.
Bed was rock hard with the danger that if one person moved that the other person would be rocked out of it.
Woke a lot during night.
Breakfast was not being served until 09.00.
Left hotel at 07.10 in the morning.
Worst night away that we have ever experienced.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as a group of 7 friends and had 3 rooms booked. It started with a role call of names on check in,which i have never experienced in a hotel before. All staff we encountered were very rude and disrespectful towards us.

Very overpriced for standard of the hotel and location, out of town, 70euro each for one night. No lifts in the hotel to the bedrooms, so we had to carry all our luggage up ourselves.

This hotel is truly faulty towers.
Room 1: Leg on the bed broke off when my friend sat on it.
Room 2: Net curtain fell off our window when I pulled the window in to close it. Room 3: toilet wouldn't flush properly.

On arrival back to hotel at 1.30am, we had brought back a takeaway pizza to have in one of the rooms, but we were told that it wasn't allowed for all of us to go to the one room, we had to all go our separate ways. It put a bit of a downer on what was a great night away in Kilkenny.

Breakfast was atrocious, luckily it was included for us, but they charge 10euro for one of the worst laid out breakfasts I've even seen in any hotel.
Packets of Aldi ham and bread laid out. Aldi boxes of cereal on the worktop. I have no problem with Aldi food but they could have at least disguised it on plates/platters. Also half used lidl/Aldi soaps in our room. You don't except to see these items when your away in a hotel.

This hotel doesn't cater for hens/stags, which we weren't. So not ideal if your traveling as a group.

The positive part of my stay, giving it a one star is the shower was very good, very powerful and stayed nice a hot.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank lwex
KilkennyHouse, Front Office Manager at Kilkenny House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at Kilkenny House Hotel. With regards to the leg on the bed breaking, each bed has 6 legs and if numerous people sit on the bed at the same time the leg will break. On the night in question the night porter did request the noise level in room 1 to be silenced so as to not disturb the rest of the guests at 2 am. We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and we have taken your comments on board as we appreciate all feedback from our guests.

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed here in April with friends( all in our mid thirties). We were rudely greeted by Ted( the manager or owner)such an ignorant man,felt like we were in school the way he spoke to us, standard of room not good for money paid, bed broke when I sat on it(I weigh 9.5 stone so don’t think my weight had much to do with this) we were moved downstairs by Brendan who in fairness was a nice guy and was apologetic. We went out that night and arrived back to the hotel around 1.30am. The door was locked and another older man once again rudely greeted us and took a roll call of names,how ridiculous. We had 3 rooms in total and were going to chit chat together in one of them as a group of women on a night away would do only to be told this was not allowed and to all go to our own rooms. Not even 5 minutes back in the room where myself and my friend were chatting, we received a phone call to tell us to stop making noice. I was honestly confused by this as we were talking not making any form of noice. 5 mins after this and rude old guy banged our door. I quickly opened this to find him banging neighbors door also. When asked what he wanted he told us to stop making noice. Obviously the walls are so thin and badly constructed the guests must only sleep and not talk in their rooms. Breakfast the following morning was terrible and to have to pay €10 for this was definitely not worth it. Upon checking out I complained to Ted about the rude old guy the previous night, where he rolled his eyes at me, and then proceeded to blame me for breaking the bed in first room by means of foul play. I honestly have never experienced such rude staff anywhere before. The hotel was definitely overpriced aswell. Would definitely never recommend anyone to stay at this faulty towers!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends