All reviews old church free car park train station great weekend late bar hen party recommend this hotel lovely hotel city centre saturday night food was lovely would stay again both nights a lovely stay family room kilkenny castle bar food
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here for a night out in Kilkenny so the location was perfect and easy to find. There was a car park but was difficult to get parking, very busy. The staff in the hotel were all very welcoming and helpful. The food we got in the bar when we arrived was fine but dinner in the restaurant that evening was much better. Again the staff in both the bar and the restaurant were lovely. The room was basic but clean, there was a single bed and a double but the mattress on the single has had its day, really old and needs replacing. Then the only other problem we had was the shower, it wasn't even luke warm. We waited a while but it did not heat up. It was the same the next morning before check out. I know it is a busy hotel but I've stayed in a lot of very busy hotels and have never had cold water before. Over all, everything else was good and and if it wasn't for the water I would recommend it. Unfortunately, it would put me off staying again, especially in bad weather. Pity!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our 3rd stay in the Kilford Arms. Firstly, great location in the heart of Kilkenny and easy walking distance to the places of interest. Secondly, great value for money, we paid €77 for 1 night B&B in a family room with SuperValu Breaks. Thirdly, lovely food, gorgeous breakfast and nice bar food in O'Faolain's Bar-which is a beautiful and really cool bar like being inside a castle or church. Fourthly, lovely helpful and friendly staff.
The downside, the hotel bedrooms while quiet, clean and comfortable are very dated and in serious need of a facelift. I could not overlook the torn picture in our room and the paint flaking off the side of the bath. I am sorry they are the only pics I took. Also the hotel front doors are narrow and heavy and nearly impossible to hold both open while you you try to get your suitcase (or children) through.
Lastly only a small thing but we saw various menus for bar food, in the bar, in the lift, in our room, on posters, they were all different with different prices.
I’d recommend it as a no frills, central hotel.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great location in Kilkenny, staff very helpful, needs modernisation though, we were on the first floor, good in one way until someone decides to roll kegs at 7am!! Could do with more tv channels, would stay here again though.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

A friend and I had dinner recently in the bar as I'm I coeliac I couldn't have the soup which always amazes mea anyway so I had chicken buffalo wings which were raw in the middle and a waitress tried to tell me they were new idea from the chef they were disgusting
A aportion of mayonnaise came with it but it was quickly taken away that is not gluten free.The main course I had was beef which was fine and a coffee then came with sour milk or at least it became sour on contact with the coffee that was replaced without any great apology or anything we enjoy the music of John Travers afterwards but personally I wouldn't go back there again for food
Bridget
PS I paid for my main course as u do

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

From the first moment we entered the hotel we were greeted by a warm welcome and friendly reception. We had a fast check in and the girls explained all the important things about our stay at the hotel. It has a large free car park at the back of the hotel. It’s is in walking distance for everything. There is music in the bar very good both nights. The bar staff are lovely and very quick at service they have a well stocked bar. We had Food breakfast-lunch and dinner over the couple of days that we stayed it was lovely. The staff a little young maybe and they take a bit long to serve you at times but always pleasant..The hotel is spotless clean it is a little dated but really nice old worldly I see they are working on decor as notices up around the bar area..Our room was spacious very clean no sky tv channels just the basic channels Rte reception not great bed comfy but probably needs update on the mattress. Cleaners in changed towels very friendly. There is a lift to the first floor but If you have problems with your legs there are 2 flights of stairs to some of the rooms. The staff are very friendly and the night porters try keep everything quite as there are stags and hens at the weekend. we had a quite enough room on the lower floor. We would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2018