“40 years”

Great Southern Killarney
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We have just returned from the Malton Hotel in Killarney - we stayed there 40 years ago on our honeymoon - as the hotel was alerted by our adult children we got royal treatment - I believe we got the best room in the house - a suite in fact.

Overall we were very impressed with the service ,cleanliness and quality of food - dinner each night was great and breakfast was top class.

Golden years package amazing value ! Would and shall highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulandHelen9
themaltoncustomer, Public Relations Manager at Great Southern Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for you lovely comments on your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and all the facilities and I hope that it brought back lots of good memories from your honeymoon. Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Mary MacMonagle
Guest Services

Write a ReviewReviews (2,357)

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We had stayed here several times when our kids were young and the hotel was part of the Great Southern group. I was worried that I might be disappointed with any changes that the Malton had made but I was delighted to find that the hotel was even nicer than before. The main lobby area is beautiful and they have added a reading room and a couple of cozy seating areas. and retained the welcoming open fire as you come in the main door.
We had a room in the main house, overlooking the mountains and the town and it was beautiful and quite spacious. The breakfast on each morning was top class, the cold buffet had just about everything you could imagine and the hot section had a good selection too. We had dinner on one night included and the food and service were top class. The dining room has retained all of it's beauty from the original hotel, and the staff were very courteous and helpful.
I would return to this hotel in the morning given half a chance!

Room Tip: choose a room in the main house of the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bannergirl
themaltoncustomer, Chef at Great Southern Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Dear Guest,
I am the Executive chef at the Malton and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay , I am most pleased with your comments about Dinner and Breakfast and I will share this with my kitchen team. For your next stay we have introduced a new breakfast selection since the start of April with a large variety of healthy options and a new breakfast experience. Looking forward you welcoming you back in the future.
regards,
John O'Leary
Executive Chef

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Took my mother here for a bite to eat for mothers day which I know is a busy day in any place but for a town centre hotel they should be prepared for it.
We sat in the alcove off the main foyer which could do with some piped music in there as you can barely whisper without the table next door hearing you.
We ordered drinks and food and even though we had eaten our starters the drinks had not arrived. At this stage I had asked 5 times for our drinks and were told they were on their way.
Then our mains arrived and still no drinks! When a supervised with blonde hair came along to see if everyone was ok I explained we still had not got our drinks. She nearly bit my head off saying they're coming!!!
It was another 5 mins before they arrived. This is basics in any restaurant and I would expect better service to match the prices being charged.
I had not been here for 2 years as the last time I ate there I got a curdled carbonara. After this experience I think I need to sit up and take notice of other places to eat.

• Stayed: March 2012
themaltoncustomer, Manager at Great Southern Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Cacosk,
Thank you for your recent review. Firstly my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience, I have discussed the points with our team in the hotel and expressed my concerns regarding your two visits. We pride ourselves at The Malton for quality food and customer service but we did not deliver this experience during your visit. I would encourage you and your Mother to return to The Malton as I am confident that these issues have been corrected and that you will enjoy the true Malton experience in the future.
Regards,
Paul O'Sullivan
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were totally enchanted by The Malton on a recent 4-day visit. Having stayed in it many years ago (as The Great Southern), we found the current ambience and comfort in no way inferior to that celebrated 'grand hotel'. The over-riding and abiding memory (and perhaps the most important) is the uniformly pleasantness and helpfulness of the staff - everywhere throughout the hotel! The quality of the meals, especially the dinners, was first-class; service at dinner by waiters and sommelier was exemplary. Our accommodation was excellent: in this respect we were fortunate to have been given a room in the main house - the old core of the 'grand hotel' with spacious and high-ceilinged rooms - in response to a special request: we were most gratified that such careful attention had been given to this request. We shall return soon, we hope, for more 'pampering'!

Room Tip: Room in the main house desirable
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We went to Killarney for the weekend & stayed in The Malton. It was beautiful from the start.
Every member of staff we encountered were very friendly & helpful.
We had planned a meal in the restaurant but it was booked out so we dined in the bar.
Our room was in the old hotel, it was stunning with a fantastic view. There was plenty of space in the room with a lot of offers in the spa.
The gym & pool were very nice, a much needed rest in the steam room was called for.
Over all, a very nice hotel, well situated, very nice staff & fantastic food.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple