“Beautifully appointed”
Review of Abbey Lodge

Abbey Lodge
Ranked #30 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I was very impressed with the bedroom amenities that Abbey Lodge had to offer. The best of any B&B during my 2 week Ireland travels with my husband--down to the little things that I forgot to pack (like a shower cap) We stayed briefly overnight and for breakfast before checking out for our next Ireland destination. I would've been happy to stay longer because Abbey Lodge is very tastefully decorated in addition to the attention to room amenities. The Lodge is located on a very busy road but it is an easy walk to the center of Killarney. Although I am partial to an Irish greeting upon arrival, the Irish owner spent time speaking with us at breakfast and went out of his way to help with making phone calls--even offering his own cell phone when I couldn't use my calling card. All was of excellent quality at Abbey Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2011

I was prepared to hate this place upon arriving and discovering that the wifi doesn't really work on Apple products and the phones were out, but the owner and manager, John, was so polite and helpful that any criticism has utterly died in my throat. He actually called up a friend of his to see if we could get the wifi working on my iPad. It didn't, but really, it was fine, even though I was relying on telecommunications to make our plans as we went along. There's a perfectly good
computer in the lobby. The rooms are lovely, recently renovated, and the hotel couldn't be in a better location: just far enough away from town to be quiet at night, but not so far that any kind of long walk is necessary. The train station is also very nearby. The service and the five star breakfast are what really recommend Abbey Lodge, though. The breakfast features five substantial choices, along with a full array of continental items (including fresh scones!) served in a lovely atrium. Do not miss it! John was kind enough to cater to my somewhat impatient parents, and even waited with us for a taxi, just chatting. If you want the real down home Irish hospitality, I think you couldn't imagine a better place.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed for 3 nights over the May bank holiday - the rooms were large, equipped enough but the decor was just ok. The reason to stay is the location (2 minute walk to town), the service (the innkeeper was wonderful - lots of recommendations and tips) and the breakfast (hot and really good!). A great hub for exploring Killarney and the Ring of Kerry or Dingle.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We traveled to Killarney this February so my daughter could compete in the All-Ireland Championships. This was our second trip in 4 years and we stayed here at Abbey Lodge both times. The rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet, and the owners, John and his wife, are hospitable and accommodating. We especially liked the full breakfasts served in a cozy dining room with all food cooked fresh to order. The location is close to the center of town and is a great base for sight seeing trips all along the coast. Abbey Lodge is a great value.
Bill Beacham, Enfield Ct.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Abbey Lodge is beautiful. The person who greeted us I think is the owner and not friendly at all. The people who work there are wonderful. Great breakfast and location.
Diana