“Fantastic Break”

Lake Hotel
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed for three nights.
Great location overlooking the lake.
Hotel dates back to 1850 and is full of character and charm.
Staff were very friendly and food was excellent.
If you are looking for a hotel with stunning views and quite location then the Lake Hotel is just perfect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helen o
There are newer reviews for Lake Hotel

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Check in was effortless, the staff were very wecloming and friendly.
Then we drove our car around the back of the hotel down to the other entrance where the 'deluxe' rooms were located and in we popped to our lake view room.
We had a little issue with the room which was solved almost instantly, and there were also little comment cards left in the room to fill out for reception to make them aware of any problems with the room, so that the hotel could keep the room in tip top condition (great idea). The room was decorated very tastefully.

We had 2 ground floor 'deluxe lakeview' rooms booked, which had a little patio areas to sit out in and soak up one of the most amazing views in Kerry. Glorious!
We were blessed with the fine weather over Paddy's weekend, but even between the odd shower we still went out and had a stroll around the grounds. We got to know a handful of the very friendly staff while we were there and found out that many staff are long serving with the hotel (which is always a good sign in a hotel).

Our room was laid out with an extra bed for children, so an Irish King bed, single, and then an extra single bed. There was bottled water upon arrival but the tap water was good to drink. We needed a fridge immediately upon arrival and I had this notion that I would have to trapse back and forth to the hotel kitchen so was delighted to find a fridge in the bedroom. Even though the room was on the ground floor, there was a huge wardrobe which allowed you to 'hide' behind it after 'running' from the bathroom. Jacuzzi in the bathroom was great too.

There was an ironing board, safe, area for luggage.
Then we had a little couch + chair with coffee table and then another seating area with two chairs so plenty of area to sit and read or watch TV.
The lighting in the room was excellent, it allowed us to light the room into zones (including little ground nightlight) so that we could still read books while the children were going to sleep and later walk around without killing ourselves knocking into furniture in the dark.

Bar - TVs and live music while we were there but children aren't allowed into bar after a certain time (which is fine by me, because I would be annoyed if I was on a break away from my kids to find a mob of them in a hotel bar late in the evening). However, there are plenty of lounge areas.

View - Spectacular, I can say no more, I've seen it from the Master Deluxe rooms (in my opinion I don't get having a tub in your bedroom and I personally don't think they are as nice as the Deluxe lakeview rooms).
Room - spacious, clean,
Staff - So helpful
Restaurant - Great selection at breakfast, dinner
Restaurant Manager - very helpful
Reception - efficient and very helpful
There is also an outdoor hot tub which we didn't get to use but it looked like fun

I'm not sure what it is about this hotel, with small children you would think that you would need a swimming pool, but there's a little walk up to castle ruins which are lit up at night and the kids were happy as Larry, just throwing sticks, and little stones in the water. We got to see two deer come out of the reeds during the day and the kids knocked such a kick out of it as did we watching them. The lovely thing about this hotel is that it forces you to slow down. If you want to make lots of noise, and just be rambunctious, then this is not the hotel for you. From what I saw, it catered for couples, elderly couples and young families. I have never felt so relaxed having spent a weekend of just playing and strolling with my kids. The hotel has an atmosphere of 'je ne sais quoi', if you allow it to engulf you.

My only gripe is that I would have liked a light duvet to pull up around me in bed rather than a blanket and sheet. The decorative bed cover was too heavy to use but I feel I am just nit picking now.
To end on a very positive point

To the Lake Hotel management, finally, let me congratulate you on the service offered by your restaurant and reception staff, they were excellent and so helpful and I am really looking forward to coming back again for another stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor lakeview deluxe rooms are best for families (and have jacuzzi bath in bathroom) and Mas...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank crankyannie
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed a couple of weeks with a friend, we chose a lake view room and we had to change our reservation there because our travel agency could only book woodland view rooms, we had no problems at all, the staff was absolutely kind and competent. Clean, spacious room with comfortable twin beds, nice toilet with jacuzzi and a small lovely balcony (full of giant spiders at night but hey, you're staying in front of a lake! i liked how animals and nature are respected there) can't complain about the cleaning service either. As i said the position is just breathtaking, with woods, lakes and wild animals, plus some caste ruins just beyond the lawn. I forgot to say it's all silent at night so you can sleep like a baby. Talking about the restaurant and bar, i think we never had better food and service abroad, i suggest the steak, the duck breast and the colcannon..simply delicious. My only complaint is about the gym which was too small with no threadmills. Fares are ridicously cheap compared to the quality of this hotel. personally i would rate it a 5 star. Can't wait for my next stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Thank you to Neil and Kathleen for making our stay so memorable. Your teams attention to detail never faltered during our 5 night stay. The location of the Lake Hotel is superb. It was very hard to leave this very peaceful and happy family run hotel. Thank you

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Great in so many ways, food, view, staff, atmosphere. Just might be a little bit of a walk to your room, other wise no complaints.

Room Tip: Lake View rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple