“Disappointing ”

Ranked #42 of 202 Restaurants in Killarney
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

We had high hopes of having a great steak here. Unfortunately that didn't happen, while I usually have steaks medium rare the menu was quite clear in displaying how the meat would be cooked, so we went with that. My steak was very over cooked and quite tough. For the price we paid it was very disappointing.

1  Thank Sue J

Reviewed 8 September 2017

We arrived in Killarney later than anticipated (around 8:30PM). By the time we checked into our hotel, we were told that not many places in town were still serving food. The Smokehouse was one of two recommended by our hotel concierge for good steaks. As there was an hour wait for the other restaurant, we were happy to be able to walk in and get a table at the Smokehouse. The prices here were quite high for the amount of food that you got. I ordered a petite filet and my husband had the rib eye. We were excited to try Irish beef - and although the steaks were tasty and accompanied by chips and a small salad - it was nothing special. I certainly would not go out of my way to return to this restaurant, but it was a solid meal when we had few options late at night!

1  Thank Tiffany C
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Hostess was not very welcoming. When I objected to being seated upstairs, she relented and seated us in the better atmosphere downstairs. The server did a good job for us. Both enjoyed the appetizer ribs. Husband's rack of lamb was delicious. I should have known better than to order the lamb burger in spite of knowing it would be overcooked, and it was = my own fault! I would happily return and order something else.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

We visited for evening dinner
Place was a bit on the kitch side not really our thing
I ordered a lamb burger which was very dry I suppose lamb can be a hard thing to master other half ordered steak which was ok
Overall just ok

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Had heard good reports about the Smokehouse so decided to book for a small family dinner (6pax). Staff were very friendly and accommodated us. The restaurant has a cool funky vibe about it and we were really looking forward to a tasty dinner. I ordered chicken wings for my kids and they ate them up without hesitation, the one critic would b leaving the end of the wing on and serving up but no big deal. The mussels as a starter would delish though some bread on the side would have been great to soak up the sauce. The jumbo prawns and prawn cocktail were extremely disappointing. 2 jumbo prawns were only served and not worth the price and the prawn cocktail was tasteless. The avocado tasted like something from a squeeze bottle and the lettuce didn't have any sort of dressing so the dish was just bland. For mains, the rib eye was fantastic, no doubt about that, as were the short ribs but the lamb burger....what a let down. It could have beef burger for all we knew. The mint mayo that was served with it also didn't have enough mint so there was no proper distinguishing from beef/lamb. Am sorry to say that I was disappointed in this place.

3  Thank SarahKelly1982