“Needs a little work....”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Spent a night here with 2 girlfriends and our experience, from start to finish, was a series of blunders - not what you expect from a 5 star hotel. The staff are generally friendly and the decor of the rooms and public areas are stylish (although the "industrial estate"-look of the surrounding area is a lot to be desired) which you'd think would bode well for your stay. We had booked 2 rooms for the 3 of us and after checking in at separate times, we found we were all in 3 different rooms! Then we went for dinner at the restaurant in the hotel and this was where it got interesting..... The list of gaffes ranged from our bottle of bubbly being left on the table next to us without us knowing, to our waiter insisting that we sample one of their new bottles of rose wine (which wasn't great, by the way). There were several other "incidents" in between, believe me. Then there were other issues during breakfast the next morning which included a dirty milk jug and dreadful coffee. If only 1 or 2 of the problems occurred, it might not have been a dealbreaker. But when there are so many mistakes, it makes the whole experience not one you want to repeat.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank miya'smum
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We spent two nights over Valentines week.

This is a very modern boutiquey/quirky hotel, unfortunately it suffers from a terrible location best thing to do is walk in from the car park with your eyes closed because once your in its just as you would hope amazing decor, excellent staff and excellent service. The food both a la carte and casual.....delicious!!! The fine dinning restaurant had both the decor and the service to support its kitchens excellence.

Our room was lovely very clean and spacious, the bathroom the same. This hotel had lots of modern five star touches which I haven't seen in other castle/manor five stars which were lovely not to mention the delivery of two G cupcakes to the room on arrival. Unfortunately we were at the back of the hotel (although the front is on the main road so It cant be much better) the back is to an industrial estate type shopping park so I was awoken each morning by the reverse beeping of delivery vans etc.

The spa was everything you would expect and the thermal suite was unique, in particular I loved how dark and cosy it was!

This is an excellent only suffering from its location.

Room Tip: Not sure what would help, maybe discuss with staff before booking.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeirdreH2
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for 2 nights during the Galway Oyster festival. I loved this hotel a little bit but there were a fe niggling things that stopped me from loving it a lot.
The overall ambience and decor is right up my street. It's quirky, opulent and fabulous. Very very boutique!
I loved the different rooms to have drinks, snacks, cocktails, or afternoon tea in.
Our room was huge and very nicely done. We were welcomed with too lovely iced cupcakes on our coffee table! So, as far of the bedroom goes, absolutely loved it!
But then there was the bathroom....... It seemed a bit cheap and basic. The shower was crazy, spraying here there and everywhere frantically!It kept switching form hot to cold, hard pressure to soft all of it's own accord. But even if the shower had worked I still wouldn't have been happy with the bathroom. No a lot of luxury compared to the bedroom. And the bath is rather small.
My other little niggleing issue was the location of the hotel. It was on a busy and not very pretty main road. In fact, we drove through it quite a few times when looking for it because we thought, that simply can't be it. So I guess you could say the Hotel is incongruous to it's surroundings.
I must say the staff were very kind and helpful. It seemed to me the majority of them were quite young. If they ever couldn't help they would always find someone who could.
All in all I would say if your going to Galway DEFINITELY stay here. It won't be 100% perfect but you will certainly be charmed and impressed.
The bad points;

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Champagnejen
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed here for one night with a group of friends and the hotel is just amazing, hardly wanted to leave it during the short stay! The decor is stunning, especially love the corridors upstairs and the cream and silver coloured lounge. The card and cakes in the rooms on arrival make you feel very welcome. The bed was most definitely the most comfortable I have ever slept in. One small complaint would be the staff at breakfast were slightly inattentive, despite the restaurant being fairly quiet. Aside from that, couldn't fault it and would love to return for a longer stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank 220Bob
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed at the G 2 weeks ago and on behalf of my boyfriend and I we cant recommend a hotel as much as this hotel..first class service from start to finish they couldnt do enough for anyone..Extremely friendly staff and atmosphere and we will certainly be back again..
A real treat for anyone!! Thank you so much G Hotel top class..Have stayed in alot of hotels as I work with the airlines and this was by a mile the best hotel we have ever stayed in..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple