“Friendly Hotel that is good value for money”

Skeffington Arms Hotel
Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“Friendly Hotel that is good value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed four nights in this perfectly located hotel in Eyre Square in the heart of Galway City with four friends. Staff could not be nicer to us, even the Polish night porter left a big impression on us with his desire to see we were enjoying our stay. Room nicely furnished, warm and clean. Breakfasts and dinners to a very good standard. The Hotel's bars are a hotspot for young adults. As I am not a young adult I nevertheless found myself spoilt for choice with the number of restaurants and bars and places to see in the immediate surrounding area. Only fault I noticed was I had to ask reception to boost the free Wi-Fi signal to my room which they did without delay. High standards for such a competitively priced hotel in possibly the best location in Galway City.

Room Tip: The rooms furthest from the hotel bars are the quietest.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor and taking the time to let us know your thoughts of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here with us and will be sure to pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

We hope to welcome you both back to us very soon and thanks again for your review.

Visiting Athlone??

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I arrived in Galway on 29 February 2012 witthout a booking. I wanted somewhere central as I was travelling to the Aran Islands the next morning and was planning to catch the shuttle bus from nr Eyre Square. The Skeff has a reputation in my mind at least as a place to have fun and party and therefore wasnt expecting much from the hotel. The proprietors have however taken enough precautions to maintain a separation between the hotel and the bar areas. Although the hotel receptionist wasnt immediately available I was very impressed with the night porter (may have been Steven?!) who displayed a lovely combo of perrsonality and trained professionalism. I was offered a room for 50 euros with option of breakfast for 9 euros. Although I was strongly encourage to buy breakfast I was given complete freedom that suited me. In the end I opted for breakfast at Cafe Expresso and that too was a delight. The room at the Skeff was big, coomfortable, for a budget prcice tastefully decorated, quality sheets and nice bed. A touch of the impersonal hotel but very much balanced out by meeting the night (and morning) porter. I stayed on a Wed night in Spring so the bar was not over busy. I suspect inhigh season or the weekend you would need to be more tolerant of the night time partying in Galway. However for a good functional hotel w a great mid week rate highly recommended

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room if you have any issue with noice
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here at The Skeffington Arms Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. Your comments in relation to the quality of our facilities and service are very much appreciated and will be passed on to our team here at the Skeff. We hope to see you again.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Continuing our travels from Sligo, we settled in at the Skeffington in Galway. The location on Erye Square is a wonderful launchpad to all the pubs and restaurants in the area. Our check-in was smooth and efficient, and the frontdesk staff was enthusiastic, attentive and very helpful. Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable, and our bathroom was generous in size. After an evening of dining and pubcrawling at all the wonderful establishments in the area, we ended our late evening/early morning at the Skeff pub, which was lively and quite fun. Our sleep was restful, and we awoke refreshed and our check-out, as with our check-in, was fast, friendly and efficient.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed for 2 nights for a weekend in february with my partner. I chose it because I have always liked the Skeff pub and its location on Eyre Square is perfect.

When we arrived in the room, it was absolutely freezing. I followed the instructions to turn on the heating, but it didnt seem to work. I called the frontdesk and was told again how to turn it in, but it still would not work.

On the way out I told the guy at frontdesk again that it was not working, he said he would sort it, but when we arrived back later that night, it was even colder! We called the night porter who finally brought us up a tiny, and very noisy, electric fan heater. We were out at a wedding all day Saturday and nothing further was done about it so we spent another night with the noisy heater going. I told the girl on frontdesk about it all at checkout, but she didnt seem too bothered.

Overall, it was ok. But I would probably try out somewhere else in future. I think for the quality of the accommodation there is better value to be had. The accommodation is average (and very cold in room 212!), a bit dated (but thats pretty standard in Galway), and there is a rediculous-looking stain on the 2nd floor carpet that leads from one end of the corridor to the other (also saw it mentioned in another review; it looks like someone rolled a freshly painted bicycle wheel through the place).

Room Tip: Room 201 was being cleaned when we were leaving. It looked really nice - nicer than our room anyway...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Skeffingtonmanager, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Skeffington Arms Hotel and taking the time to submit your review.Our rooms are fully heated with state of the art heating and cooling units unfortunately a part went on your stay and we couldn’t get this fixed until Monday morning, how ever we did try our best to make your stay more comfortable by offering a fan so your room wouldn’t have been cold. 100% Guest Satisfaction is very important to us and we aim to get this right with every guest I am saddened if we did not fully meet your expectations on this occasion.
Should you wish to stay in Galway again please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel on lisa@skeffington.ie and I will make sure your stay is an enjoyable one.

With Kind Regards,

Lisa Nee,

Front Office Manager,

Milan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

central, renovated, good customer service and great Irish breakfast!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends