The Front Door Sonny's Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 February 2017

Nice quaint Irish pub! Lots of beer and whiskey options. We were there on a quite Tuesday evening and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

1  Thank LindaM5788

Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend were visiting Galway for a few days, we had no plans to visit any specific restaurants, just seeing where we ended up each day.
We came in for lunch on saturday, just to get starters as we weren't overly hungry, I got the seafood chowder and my boyfriend got the cheese nachos. We were both very impressed, although for a starter, the nachos are huge portions!

The following day we came in for the carvery, my boyfriend had the roast beef and I had the lamb. The meat was so tender, it literally fell apart when you put the fork anywhere near it, the vegetables were cooked perfectly (I hate soggy, overcooked veg!) and the gravy was delicious!
For dessert I had Bailey's and brownie cheesecake and my boyfriend got crème brulee, again absolutely spot on, I've only tasted crème brulee once before and the sugar tasted very burnt and the custard was watery and tasteless, but this was fantastic. My cheesecake was so nice and light, which I was very happy with as Bailey's cheesecake can be so heavy.

The music was just nice, background noise volume and the staff were there if they were needed, but not intrusive, letting us eat without checking on how the meal was going, which was very much appreciated-there's nothing worse than taking a mouthful of food, then instantly being asked how the meal is!

I'll be recommending this place to anyone coming to Galway!

1  Thank Char151280
Reviewed 5 February 2017

What a great Pub & Restaurant in the centre of Galway City. Had lunch there this week with a friend and it was excellent. The food was great, presented very well, super service and extremely friendly. The ambience of the place was fantastic, a real old Irish pub with open fires, so cosy!
They offered a nice menu with daily special and, as pub food goes, Sonny's is in a place of its own. Prices were competitive.
I will definitely revisit when I am next in Galway..

1  Thank liam_mccaffrey
Reviewed 4 February 2017

This was the best Shepherd's pie I've ever had! Including my own. It was just heaven with a cold Smithwick Ale.

1  Thank Kelly B
Reviewed 3 February 2017

Great atmosphere, turf fireplace and all. Nice place for an afternoon pint and a hardy Irish pub meal. Staff was fantastic!!! Loved it.

1  Thank Bunkerhill4343