“Better options out there”
Review of Eyre Square Hotel

Eyre Square Hotel
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed 29 January 2012

First of all, it is not on Eyre square, but just off it.
On arrival we were vaguely greeted and given keys to the rooms. The rooms were in poor decor but relatively clean, and the shower was powerful and refreshing.
Despite being a 3 star hotel, I have stayed in the 5 star harbour hotel previously for cheaper.....???
The food in the bar was good, but the breakfast was absolutely terrible. The eggs could have been used for clay pidgeons, and I nearly broke a tooth on something in the sausage, the fry up components were not quality items.

Having a 24hr reception, you leave the key behind as you go out. On returning, I asked for key 215, sorry no, 315. The reception person gave me any key I asked without challenge. My collegues did likewise, this is a disturbing scenario if you are going to leave valuables in the room.

At 5am Sunday morning, I woke to a disturbance from other guests which lasted far too long before the night porter came up to sort, hence very little sleep.
On leaving, I was charged for a room (twin) despite being the solo occupant, so I would ask for clarification from them as they quote pps too.

Overall, I would not stay again, and prefer to opt for the tent city of anti government hippies at the other end of Eyre Square.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tom O
There are newer reviews for Eyre Square Hotel

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Excellent value, great location. Bit old-fashioned but all the better for that. Best value in Galway city by far.

Room Tip: With a window
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We were lucky to find this lovely hotel. Rooms were EXCELLENT! Clean, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast (Irish fry up) was fine. Location is almost literally next door to the bus station and a short walk to the main walking street in town. So the location is fantastic. Staff was very helpful but could have been a tad friendlier for my tastes. No worries though. We had a great stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank HerbalTea
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We managed to get a great 2 night B&B deal through GoIreland and at the price I wasn't expecting much of a hotel, so we were pleasantly surprised when we eventually arrived.

The hotel is located right at the corner of Eyre Square which meant we were close to all the shops and entertainment.

The room we stayed in was of a good size and in a good standard of cleanliness.

The staff were all very pleasant and friendly towards us.

The only negative points I can think of are that Wifi is not available in the bedrooms but instead just down in the reception area. Also the hotel has no parking of its own but has a deal with a multi-storey parking lot about 150 meter walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BanhamC
Reviewed 28 November 2011

booked this hotel for a weekend away with my husband. on the first night we arrived we droppedour bags and went wandering around the city, when we came back the night club next door was in full swing, we headed up to our room only to realise that we might as well have headed into the club. it was so loud that you could actually hear the dj word for word. back ground noise is one thing but this was on another level. we contacted teh front desk who reluctantly moved us to another room, it was above the bar which had a band playing but they stopped at 12.30 so it wasnt the worst (could still hear the background noise of the club though). the second night was just as bad. on top of that the rooms are dated and dingy, in need of a serious upgrade. The location is good but it is the only thing this hotel has going for it, but at there are 6 other hotels in the vacinity who have that benefit also. Not to mention the price €190 for 2 nights with breakfast. I would have been better value, cleaner and quieter in a B&B.

on check out i mentieond that noise and the receptionist basically said its mentioned on your booking confirmation so there is nothing i can do - very rude. i checked my booking confirmation and it mentions resonate noise not a full blown disco in your room.

i would not recommend this hotel and if i was going to Galway again and it was the only place with availability i would be enquiring about camping.

Room Tip: rooms on higher floors and to the back i would imagine are quieter but we wernt given that option so...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple