“Horrific Service - Never Again”
Review of Ka Shing

Ka Shing
Ranked #554 of 2,864 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: USD 12 - USD 35
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located smack in the middle of Dublin 2, in Wicklow Street. It has a red neon advertising board on one side of its front window. Beautiful decor, stunning chandeliers above the marble tables and large dining chairs. Come in for a memorable experience with great service and atmosphere. A large selection of all the classic chinese dishes available as well as some innovative ones.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I literally left this place not knowing whether to laugh or cry about the experience.

We were seated at our table, given menus and poured water - that's the height of service we received!
We waited 10-15 mins before anyone approached us. The waiter (I struggle to use that word to describe him) arrived over and without eye contact asked what we wanted.... we started to list dim sum and were told one of them was not available, we ordered an alternative.... another choice later,we were told "was only for lunch time", our next attempt to choose and he cut across us to say the whole bottom row was unavailable! We finally settled on 6 dim sum....
He rushed off without taking a drink order.

A moment later while he cleared the table next to us, he turns his head to tell us that one of our 6 dishes is no longer available so our order is now only 5 dim sum, and he rushed off before we had a chance to respond.

When he finally walked back our way, we asked to see the menu again so as that we could order an additional dish - this seemed to be an inconvenience for him. He dropped the menu, but it was the wrong one. We waited again until my husband got his attention and asked for the correct menu. Another long wait and our 6th dish (chicken wings) was ordered, at which time 4 steamed dishes were brought to the table. I had to ask to chop sticks as none had been given.

We ate the 4 dishes between us while patiently waiting for the others.... nobody checked on us to see if we were happy with the meal while we ate.
The waiter came down once he saw were in need of attention and before we had a chance to say what the problem was the very dismissively told us the wings were coming soon! .... I politely explained that we were actually wondering where our rice dish was.... *this is the part that floors me* he tells us "you didn't order any rice" and at that exact moment, his colleague arrives to our table with the rice dish - 15/20mins after the rest of the original order. No apology from the waiter as to his accusation we had not ordered the dish.
The wings arrived moments later but by that stage my husband had lost his appetite.

My husband had to go to the register to request and pay for the bill, at which point he realised the automatic addition of 10% service on all bills explains why the staff couldn't be bothered with customer service.

As for the food - the PORK dumplings arrived with prawn through them (My husband does not eat fish), the ribs in black bean we more cartilage, grizzle and bone than any meat and the portion size of chicken wings was disgraceful based on the price.

I've 12 years waitressing experience under my belt. I cannot fathom how people would return here based on the service we received tonight.

1  Thank Jessica L

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Like the dim sum there, very nice atmosphere, good chinaware. worth it although they charge 10% service fee.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

The decor is slightly dated, but not offensive

The staff were pleasant, and willing to explain the menu and make recommendations.

We arrived at 6pm and ordered roast duck, to be told they needed an hour to cook the duck. They offered a different duck dish and it was very nice.

All the food was well cooked, well presented and very tasty

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Ate here at lunchtime with friends. Food was ok and lunch menu was good value but the staff were very abrupt which made us feel unwelcome.

1  Thank WicklowIreland
Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

He had rang about an hour before to book the table and they were able to squeeze us in for 8pm. When we got there they were packed as the rugby match was on in Dublin that day. We waited a couple for minutes to be seated and got given a 4 top for only 2 people. Which was fine by us, more room for food. We order salt and chilli chicken to start and tofu with hot garlic sauce and chicken sweet and sour for the mains. We could not fault the food in anyway. Service was good, it did take a little long to get our bill but regardless I really would recommend this Chinese restaurant. Best Chinese food I’ve had in town so far.