“Excellent service, even for a family!”

Art Tea at The Merrion Hotel
Ranked #209 of 2,822 Restaurants in Dublin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

When my family in Ireland heard I was having tea at the Merrion, they were a bit envious, so that should tell you something about how nice it is to have tea here.

I love to have afternoon tea wherever I travel, but I am often afraid of bringing my children as they are seemingly unwelcome at some tea rooms. However, the Merrion had excellent service and treated my children just as well as everyone else!

The tea service was gorgeous and delicious. The Merrion provides a book of the various artworks featured in the treats you are served, so you can get a better look at the paintings that inspired the food. Furthermore, there is art hanging on the walls all around the tea room, so you may very well see the original work right in front of you!

For those who like to have tea, but do not necessarily like tea, there is coffee (which my husband ordered) and hot chocolate (which my children ordered). Although we are quick to finish our tea service, we noticed others who lingered long after finishing their tea, and it appeared they were welcome to stay as long as they liked!

Excellent service, high quality tea and eats, in a gorgeous setting - what more could you want?

1  Thank cairennoid

Reviewed 20 March 2018

First of all, the food I received was delicious. It was served in a very nice room with various art pieces owned by the hotel displayed on the walls. You can try however many teas or coffees you'd like, and they are included in the price of the tea. I had the Earl Grey, the Jasmine Pearls, and the plain White tea. The Earl Grey was one of the best I've had.

The first course consisted of a selection of scrumptious sandwiches, some fruit/plain scones, and 3 varieties of cake. They were very good about my food restriction (no seafood), and made sure to confirm it as they were seating me. To make up for the lack of the salmon sandwich, I was given an extra chicken with truffle butter (which was perfect because it was my favourite).

The second course consists of three desserts inspired by various artworks displayed within the hotel, and these were equally beautiful and delicious. I fully recommend this to anyone who can get the chance to go; though it is a tad expensive, it was a very fancy treat and a great way to spend the afternoon.

1  Thank Ariquelle
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

What a special and memorable experience! A must do at The Merrion! The food is incredibly divine and the whole experience is beyond amazing!

1  Thank hohmann2016
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Wonderful afternoon tea experience, the best I’ve enjoyed so far. Great welcome to the Merrion, they sure know how to make their guests feel special. We arrived early so had drinks in the residents bar. Food was excellent, really impressive presentation and so so tasty. We couldn’t finish everything so they boxed up the remainder which was fab. Thanks for a lovely afternoon, with a super team taking care of us.

1  Thank AislingConway1
Reviewed 15 February 2018

I took my daughters ages 8 and 12 to the Art Tea on Valentine's Day. My older daughter is especially interested in visual arts and my younger daughter is interested in pastry so it sounded like something special they would enjoy. We have been to tea in other places and always enjoy it but this was something extra special. First, the service is exceptional. The ladies who assisted and served us were kind, patient, and helpful. The tea comes with quite a bit of food so they suggested that instead of 3 orders that we do 2 and if we needed any extra sandwiches they would be happy to make some a la carte. We did not need any extras for the three of us. My youngest enjoyed hot chocolate and I had tea. First, the sandwiches were absolutely delicious. The scones had wonderful texture and they were moist and tasty. The cakes on the first course that were inspired by the artwork in the hotel were wonderful and it was so much fun to look up the picture of the painting in the book available on the table and compare them. The book of artwork on the table is complimentary and a great souvenir. My daughters spent a lot of time looking through the book of art and then finding the paintings and sculptures in the tea room and in the hallways. The desserts that were offered looked stunning. The ladies assisting us explained how the inspiration of the paintings was used in each dessert. They tasted very good but nothing overly exceptional but we didn't mind. The other foods were fantastic and the experience of blending the art with the afternoon tea was so much fun. As we had only ordered two art teas the server offered to bring an extra dessert tray to buy a la carte since the desserts are harder to share. It was an extra fifteen euro for the 3 desserts and it was nice for all 3 of us to have our own little tray. The service is exceptional, the art aspect is unique, and I highly recommend this one of a kind experience.