All reviews close to grafton street irish breakfast early check great location st stephens reception desk temple bar area booked this hotel comfortable beds minute walk walkable hairdryer taxi
Reviewed 30 August 2018

We have stayed in very many hotels in Dublin both North and South of the Liffey and we were happily blown away by "The Green" as it was superb and we will without doubt be booking to stay there again next year.It ticked all the boxes in so many ways-ie location,cost,facilities,curteous attentive staff and great rooms.This is just what a city centre hotel should be.Dublin was as ever great but this made it more so.Full marks to a well run immaculately clean establishment.This is how all hotels should be but alas aren't.Can't wait till next year.

Room Tip: Desite proximity to main road very little sound due to double glazed units.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
ColmM179, Front Office Manager at O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 days ago

Dear Steve C,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a wonderful review regarding your stay with us here at the Green. I am very pleased
that we met and exceeded your expectations and looking forward to seeing you and your family in 2019.

Best regards

Colm Mc Donnell

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

I recently had a 3 night stay reserved at the O'Callaghan St. Stephen's Green. Wasn't the best check-in experience as they sent me to the wrong floor and part of the hotel to where my room was, but it got sorted.

What's weird is what happened later that night :

-Around midnight I was asleep in bed when I heard a commotion at the door of my room. It sounded like someone was trying to break in. I had all of the internal locks set (it didn't have one of those hard slider locks) and the do not disturb light on but despite this a member of the hotel staff entered my room (Without knocking or announcing his presence). I jumped up right away and yelled at him and he quickly ducked out and ran away.

-Right afterward I tried to call down to the front desk from my room, hoping to catch someone else working there who could tell me what the heck was going on, but it rang about 20 times and no one ever answered. I tried to go back to sleep.

-The next morning I went to the front desk to voice my major concerns about the invasion of privacy and security issues. The front desk staff was straight out rude, not listening to or believing my account of the situation. He just kept saying he had no record of it and would need to check in to it and that they would never do that. I never received a real apology or any offer to make it right.

-After 10 minutes or so of this back and forth I returned to my room, packed my stuff up and left without checking out as I wasn't going to deal with the guy there.

If it was a mistake and they profusely apologised I could maybe have gotten over it but the front desk staff was so dismissive that I had no confidence they would respect my privacy, my safety or my belongings. After I left I lodged a complaint with my work travel agency and the hotel representative had the nerve to call me a liar and say this incident never happened. What a bunch of creeps. Oh and the hotel is dirty, under construction and the rooms are mediocre. You have been warned.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
5  Thank Baxter D
Reviewed 26 August 2018

I absolutely loved this hotel for our weekend stay in Dublin (third time here).
We arrived extremely early and hoped we might be able to sweet-talk the staff into letting us check in a couple of hours early and they checked us in on the spot, no less than 4 hours early!! The guy on reception was lovely - dealt with us brilliantly.

The rooms are also lovely, with great showers and you can't fault the location but unfortunately, as we came back on Saturday night the security guard had wandered off from his station. We pushed the button several times but couldn't get an answer. After a couple of minutes, he came back and let us in but at over 200 euros a night, we shouldn't be spending any time at all on the street outside thinking "oh my God, how are we going to get back in?!" They either need to hire a security guard who will stay at his station or install an outside entry system for guests - they charge enough to cover the cost of one!.

Room Tip: Great hotel but with one bad aspect
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JDoran94
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Spacious clean comfortable rooms. Lovely decor throughout hotel. Fantastic location for tourists in Dublin.
Really disappointed on how we were spoken to by a man at reception around 9PM on Saturday night. Initially we asked if there were any water vending machines and there are not. We asked if we were able to have drinking water in our room. He said no but we could buy it in the bar. We pointed out it was the first hotel we had stayed in thar did not provide bottled water. He sharply replied that they did but only in executive rooms _ quite nasty. Someone who really should not be in the service industry. So water was available but he had no intention of providing a basic need. Really disgusted at how we were spoken to and the only nasty person we have come across during our Dublin stay for a much needed break. Staff need to be mindful that people may be on a break for respite and shouldtreat people appropriately.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CCAM4
Reviewed 13 August 2018

Stayed as a couple recently and it really is a mixed bag of a hotel! They are half way through a branding change and a revamp and I am not sure the know what they are doing. We arrived after 8 on a Friday and check in was quick and the receptionist was very polite. The hotel appears to be in 2 parts now and we had to take 2 different lifts to our room. A lot of guests were wandering around as they were a bit lost due to the lack of signage and direction. Our room was large with a huge, very comfortable bed and bottles of water provided. The view was terrible and the window small. We appeared to be in a Wheelchair access room based on the bathroom facilities which were brand new and spotless. However, there was nowhere to hang towels apart from on the floor. Also, there was nowhere to put shampoo etc. while in the shower apart from on the floor! I have never seen this in a hotel before. This makes showering etc. difficult for everyone, never mind if you had limited mobility. The bar is VERY quiet, and there was no Guinness on tap as they had an issue with the gas. The options were limited after that. One of our friends that came in for a drink had to change choice a few times as they ran out of everything (only 1 bottle in stock on 2 occasions). They also ran out of change multiple times and this made service quite slow. Breakfast was poor, especially considering the price they charge. I ordered Poached eggs, and they brought out 1, with no toast. Everything appeared to be rationed and the selection was below standard. To make toast they had a normal home kitchen toaster that turned itself off after every use. Guests were standing there waiting for toast that would never come as they didn't realize it was turned off. In summary, a great location, spotless with comfortable beds. The staff were very good. The rest is a bit of an overpriced mess to be fair....

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple