“Adequate”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stayed for one night with my partner, we were attending a show in the Grand canal theatre.

The hotel decor and feel is quite generic as so many modern hotels are these days and lacked a bit of atmosphere but the staff were friendly, the room was basic but clean, the bed was barely a double and not very comfortable.

The extraction fan in the bathroom stayed on all the time even with the door closed and the light switched off which was noisy during the night, there were also a gang of local youths drinking, shouting and singing at the back of hotel from early evening and throughout the night which we could hear quite clearly on the 4th floor.

On the plus side each room has an ice bucket and each floor has an ice machine which was a bonus for those who enjoy a drink in their room, the room came with the usual comforts such as tea/coffee making facilities an ironing station and multi channel TV.

Breakfast was buffet style and was good, The location is fine if attending the Grand canal theatre but there is a lack of Bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

Parking in the area is a problem as the hotel has no parking facilities, I would recommend pre booking the car park located near the hotel as when we arrived there in the early afternoon it was full, we then had to park at the Convention centre nearby which charges what the sign says is €15 per day which we assumed was for 24 hrs but is not, the rate is till midnight and then you are charged another €15 which resulted in a very hefty €30 for an overnight stay.

Overall the hotel was fine but I had expected more based on the previous reviews and the room rate to stay for one night which was in excess of €200 per room.

Average hotel with above average room rates.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Hello FAR70,
Thank you for taking your time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am glad to see you had a good stay with us, I hope the show was very enjoyable. I am sorry to see you had some problems with the car park and noise. We do not have a car park, and when booking we recommend Q Park which can be pre-booked to avoid disappointment at busy times. When planning your next stay or trip to the theatre please email our Guest Relations Manager, Sarah Glennon on gr.cardifflane@maldronhotels.com. Sarah can email you on the car parking information and will be happy to send you on some information on the local area as well.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I regularly use the Maldron for small business workshops/meetings.
The service in reservations/conference dept is nicely personal yet professional, and the rooms are always well prepared and layout is as specificed. Lovely touch of having free smoothies and fresh fruit for participants at all meetings/workshops too ! Great for me and my clients. Top floor boardroom is the best.. great light and views from the balcony.

Only downside is the hotel is very busy at weekends so longer waits for the elevators/reception desks, however its a small price to pay for great location, friendly and helpful staff, and excellent views from the meeting rooms and very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: - Choose the meeting room on the top floor if you can. (the board room). More light and space than...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Hello jennymary,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. I am delighted to see that your events here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane are always a success. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed in the Maldron last night for a show in the Grand Canal Theatre. This was our second stay, first time was before Christmas. That night was great with no problems, a bit of a rush with Christmas parties and everyone arriving back from Imelda May at the same time, but staff were pulled in from all over the place and it was great.
On this stay we had a few problems that I think other guests should lookout for.
We booked 3 rooms on a package of €70 per person for B&B evening meal and a bottle of house wine between each couple.
We arrived at 4.10 pm our rooms were not ready we were put in the bar and given complementary tea and coffee. Our meal was booked for 5.30pm and it was that before our rooms were ready. Lucky we travelled dressed to go out.
We went into the restaurant for our meal and all was grand until we enquired about the wine the waiter said it was not included and when he checked with reception he said we were right and gave us the wine.
The meal was great after that.
The next problem again was reception again on checkout. I was last to check out and was being charged €150. I checked with the other two couples and they had been charged €155. I told the receptionist I was quoted €140 and this was the price on the paper work at check in. He apologised and said it was a mistake as there had been a price rise and he adjusted it down. The other €5 euro on the other bills was for veg at the meal that are seemingly extra which is a bit strange to have extras on an inclusive package. The receptionist removed the extra charges and refunded the other two couples the amount over charged.
Our problems were simple but easy avoided as even small things take from a good night.
Last note is on the car park attendant in the QPark. I know this is outside the hotel control but as the hotel recommends them they have to carry some responsibility.
I had booked in 2 cars on line. When we arrived there was no one in the car park office. I know we are supposed to exchange our ticket from the barrier but there was a FRAMED NOTICE in the window of the office that customers could exchange their tickets on exit if there was no one around. When we were leaving we got an attendant with very bad attitude. He started complaining that we should have exchanged our tickets on arrival and when I explained there was no one in the office when we arrived he cross examined us on what time we arrived. I pointed to the notice in the window and he snapped the tickets off me, processed them in seconds (whatever the big deal was) no apology thanks or please. I think hotel management should have words with the carpark management about the attitude of their staff.

All in all we had a good time in the Maldron and will be back but please lookout for these problems don’t just hand in a card and let them take what they want

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello lillywhitescilldara,
Thank you for bringing the above issues to my attention. I am very disappointed to see there were problems with your stay here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I can assure you this is not the usual standard of customer care at the hotel. I would be very grateful if you could call me on my mobile, 087 968 2123 to discuss these matters.
Please accept my sincerest apologies.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We Just got back from a trip to Dublin and stayed at this hotel. The hotel is big, very clean and the rooms are great. The staff could not have been nicer, very helpful. My only complaint is that this hotel is a distance from the attractions we like such as Temple Bar and Grafton st. It is right next to the convention center and the new canal thearte. If you are going to either of these venues the location is great. Otherwise Grafton street is about a 8 or 9 euro taxi ride every time you come and go. The area is also a little short on pubs and resturants. We did have a quiet nights sleep though. We booked this with Aer Lingus and all in all we were very happy with the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are a verg good size
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Hello Paddy107,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am delighted to see you had such a great stay with us here.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here for one night as it was beside the Grand Canal Theatre. Ideal location for GCT. Lovely hotel, warm, clean, comfortable. We had a balcony which was a nice touch also. Had the evening meal (set menu option) which was tasty and good value. Service was excellent. Good breakfast also. Our experience from start to finish was a positive one and i hope to be back in the near future. We stayed on the fifth floor and had a peaceful night's sleep.

Room Tip: You can ask for anything in particular you would like, such as a river view or a balcony, etc. and y...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Hello SophieLetterkenny,
I am delighted to see you had such an enjoyable stay with us here in Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team here in the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.