“Good but not mind blowing.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dawson Hotel & Spa

The Dawson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #110 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
London
“Good but not mind blowing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

It was a good hotel, but I found the furnishings a bit dated. Also we passed a patch of damp in the hallway on the way to the room and there was no view from the room. Also the staff were a little surly. The bar was gorgeous though and the restaurant, well that was spectacular - eat there if you get the chance. The club downstairs was also good - nearby, not too packed and with music you want to dance to, while not making your ears bleed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Turkish first
ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed in La Stampa with friends. We had different room types so we got to see a fair share of the hotel.
Firstly the reception area is tiny, with a rather curt receptionist. But that isnt really an issue. I didnt go to sit in the reception !!
So to get to the rooms we were taken on a magical mystery tour though the hotel and the next door Sam Sara bar/pub/wine bar. Sam Sara is beautiful. But I would have preferred to not be exhausted by the time I got to my room. this is teh only way to the rooms !!
So we were led along corridor after corridor. Grubby corridors. Paint peeling, damp patches, mattress lying around and heavily scuffed walls.
I was SHOCKED and so disappointed even before I got to the room.
Anyway room was ok, dull with a view of a brick wall. Our friends room, which was in fact a suite was nicer, very nice in fact but we were all let down by the "getting" to the room.
So, good points. The location !! Couldnt be better. But for the price, this hotel should spend a couple of euros and paint the place !!! Also a smile at reception wouldnt go amiss !!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dawnriser

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We had 10 rooms booked early December on a Friday night...... everyone was in good form but when we checked in some people got really goods rooms with others on the shabby side but worst of all was 2 rooms had not been cleaned or made up and there was dirty dishes on the bed, hair etc. all over the bathroom...... really disappointing. The bar was good but very busy and understaffed so to get a drink we had to leave and go to another bar close by.... Breakfast was good but the room was in need of a major overhaul. Won't be rushing back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DisappointedVisitor1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

I stayed here for one night at the beginning of December. We were having a work night in town and I decided to treat myself to a nice night in La Stampa Hotel - I had heard great things about it and read good reviews. From the moment I arrived, the girls at reception seemed a little distracted - I got checked in fairly quickly and a very nice man came to help me with my bags, as its quite a long walk through the Samsara Bar to the lift. After coming out of the lift, it was a bit of a maze to the room - but eventually found it. It was OK. Views were dreadful - first of a wall and the second of another wall, and as I looked around the room, I found it to be lacking anything luxury about it. I saw cracks in the bedroom, and I as I walked out to the shops to grab a newspaper, I noticed that the walls in the halls were also very grubby and cracked. When I came back to the room, I decided to order room service, but found no menu in the room. I called down to reception and about 15 minutes later a staff member arrived at my door, and told me very curtly to quickly look at the menu and decide there and then while he was standing there. I quickly decided on a Club Sandwich. It arrived a while later - Cold, and tasteless. Very unappealing. I didn't avail of the breakfast the following morning, so can't comment on this. I think for the price I paid, there are far nicer hotels around that part of Dublin City, and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank goldenlane100
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel and definitely won't be the last time. Well appointed rooms and facilities and the staff were all very friendly.
Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple