I stayed at Stauntons for two nights on business, having stayed in Dublin at another hotel on several occasions. I chose it based entirely on its proximity to where I would be working.
Having emailed in advance to say that I would be arriving earlier than the advertised earliest check-in time of 2pm, the very amiable receptionist directed me to my room at 11am, which was very kind. I’m never fussed about being taken to the room itself – how unnecessary it usually is to say “this is a key”, or “this is how the taps work” etc. – and anyway I suspect she was not allowed to leave the reception unattended.
I stayed in a single-occupancy double room (€95 per night) to the rear of the hotel, in what must be a two-storey extension. The room was blistering hot in the eaves with the radiator on full, but two Velux skylights allowed for some regulation of the temperature. The room overlooked a small garden, leading out over a square to the south of the hotel. It was remarkably quiet for a city centre hotel.
The room was well appointed and clean if not particularly stylish. I was very surprised to see a very old tube-style TV rather than a flatscreen, but from looking into other rooms when the doors were ajar whilst being cleaned, I note that flatscreens seem to be the norm. Unfortunately I couldn’t watch the TV anyhow because there was no remote control; I later discovered one had to collect this with one’s room key on check-in, presumably because previous guests were pilfering them. There was a strong, if annoyingly intermittent, free WiFi signal.
Whilst it certainly didn’t mar my stay, as a rule there were a few things seemingly absent in the room. As I mentioned before, the lack of TV remote control was very odd. When I wanted to quickly write down a colleague’s number, there wasn’t any stationery, and nor was there a ‘do not disturb/please clean my room’ sign.
The bed was very firm, which I far prefer, and the bedding very crisp and clean. I slept very well, with the dawn light halted by Velux blackout blinds rather than by curtains. The bathroom was adequate, although one of the two spotlights had blown so it was rather dim. The towels – surely something so simple to get right – were rather thin and grainy, perhaps having seen too many washes. The shower was very powerful and reviving.
Breakfast was the usual buffet of cereals, juices, yoghurts and fruit, supplemented by cooked items to order. The black pudding rather resembled poker chips in appearance and taste, but everything else was edible enough. The service at breakfast was efficient, but rather removed and charmless. At all other times service was very amiable, helpful and courteous, and therefore very Irish.
All in all, Stauntons is a good business hotel for those wanting to be in Dublin City Centre.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated close to Grafton Street in the fashionable heart of Dublin City, Stauntons on the Green is the perfect place to stay, whether for business or pleasure in Ireland's Capital City. Housed in a Georgian building steeped in history, overlooking two of Dublin's most beautiful parks -St. Stephen's Green and the Iveagh Gardens - this hotel has everything you could possibly need on its doorstep. It remains a building of unique character (original build 1750) with spacious relaxing rooms and wonderful views of the parks. Well appointed rooms, all with either Park or Garden views, coupled with excellent customer care and service, are what make a stay at Stauntons on the Green a special and rewarding experience. Room facilities include Private Bathroom, TV, Direct Dial Telephone, Hairdryer, Complimentary WiFi and Tea/Coffee facilities. Breakfasts are served each day, Monday to Friday 7am-10am and Saturday Sunday 8am -10am ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, lastminute.com.au, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Stauntons on the Green reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stauntons On The Green Hotel Dublin
- Stauntons On The Green Dublin
- Stauntons Green