“A decent hotel near, but not too near, Grafton St”

Stauntons on the Green
Ranked #87 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“A decent hotel near, but not too near, Grafton St”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at Stauntons for two nights on business, having stayed in Dublin at another hotel on several occasions. I chose it based entirely on its proximity to where I would be working.

Having emailed in advance to say that I would be arriving earlier than the advertised earliest check-in time of 2pm, the very amiable receptionist directed me to my room at 11am, which was very kind. I’m never fussed about being taken to the room itself – how unnecessary it usually is to say “this is a key”, or “this is how the taps work” etc. – and anyway I suspect she was not allowed to leave the reception unattended.

I stayed in a single-occupancy double room (€95 per night) to the rear of the hotel, in what must be a two-storey extension. The room was blistering hot in the eaves with the radiator on full, but two Velux skylights allowed for some regulation of the temperature. The room overlooked a small garden, leading out over a square to the south of the hotel. It was remarkably quiet for a city centre hotel.

The room was well appointed and clean if not particularly stylish. I was very surprised to see a very old tube-style TV rather than a flatscreen, but from looking into other rooms when the doors were ajar whilst being cleaned, I note that flatscreens seem to be the norm. Unfortunately I couldn’t watch the TV anyhow because there was no remote control; I later discovered one had to collect this with one’s room key on check-in, presumably because previous guests were pilfering them. There was a strong, if annoyingly intermittent, free WiFi signal.

Whilst it certainly didn’t mar my stay, as a rule there were a few things seemingly absent in the room. As I mentioned before, the lack of TV remote control was very odd. When I wanted to quickly write down a colleague’s number, there wasn’t any stationery, and nor was there a ‘do not disturb/please clean my room’ sign.

The bed was very firm, which I far prefer, and the bedding very crisp and clean. I slept very well, with the dawn light halted by Velux blackout blinds rather than by curtains. The bathroom was adequate, although one of the two spotlights had blown so it was rather dim. The towels – surely something so simple to get right – were rather thin and grainy, perhaps having seen too many washes. The shower was very powerful and reviving.

Breakfast was the usual buffet of cereals, juices, yoghurts and fruit, supplemented by cooked items to order. The black pudding rather resembled poker chips in appearance and taste, but everything else was edible enough. The service at breakfast was efficient, but rather removed and charmless. At all other times service was very amiable, helpful and courteous, and therefore very Irish.

All in all, Stauntons is a good business hotel for those wanting to be in Dublin City Centre.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear will not have any traffic noise at all.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank James O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Finnish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Looks small from the outside but, once you go in, you find an attractive and spacious townhouse with large common rooms and big bedrooms. Got a warm welcome from the front desk (it was freezing outside) and the room was a good size, very clean and as it was on the side, quiet too. Mind you, the south side of St Stephens Green is not that noisy anyway.

Breakfast was great - anything you want from a full Irish to muesli and everyone I spoke to at the hotel was very amiable. Very good value for money too.

Previously I have stayed in or near Temple Bar on numerouns trips to Dublin, but I shall stay here again because, even though it's 15 minutes walk from the bottom of Grafton Street, it's a much more relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the side or the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Kilkenny
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Ideal location for city break. Lovely spacious rooms, ours at back of house was very quiet other room on Street side noisier. Five pals stayed in 2 rooms, out the front door , a walk through St. Stephens Green to Grafton St and in the shops in minutes. Lovely breakfast and friendly staff, reasonable rates, these girls already planning return visit!

Room Tip: Back of house possibly quieter
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This place was better than I expected. Great location, Great price, Unbeatable Customer service by ALL, clean and within walking Distance to about everything. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by Heidi who had upgraded us to a very large, clean and cozy room that overlooked the park. If you’re a light sleeper you may want to ask for another room on the other side of the building. But it was Perfect for us. We had found a very Cheap place for food called The Baggot Inn, Great food, happy hr and not far from the hotel. Thank you!

Covina, CA
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We arrived before check-in time after a quick flight from Edinburgh. They repeatedly apologized that our room wasn't ready even though "we" were the ones that were early. They offered to look after our luggage so that we could go explore the city. My friend and I decided to work on a game plan for our day instead. The very kind gentleman helped us relocate our bags into a parlor area around the corner from the desk. Sitting on the broken-in sofas and just relaxing after 10 days of being on the go in London and Edinburgh was awesome. I told them that I felt like I was at home. (Although at home, I'm not sure anyone would help me carry my bags!) We no sooner sat down before they said our room was ready. We were up one level and quickly scurried up the stairs to our room. Yes, this is an old building. The floors creak under the carpet and you can see the layers of paint on the shutters on the windows. BUT, wow...does this place have character! We loved it! We had requested two twin beds and were thrilled when they gave us a large room facing St. Stephen's Green and we each had our own double sized bed. There was also a spare twin bed in the room. Breakfast was included each morning and it was more than ample. Everything was within walking distance or near the hop on/hop off bus. If I were to ever go back, I would not hesitate to stay here again! The bed was comfy (and I have a bad back) and I found everything to be perfectly charming.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street which was a little bit noisy, even with the shutters and drapes drawn. If...
2 Thank DVSDonnaV