“great place to stay”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This is a good hotel if you want to avoid the noise of city center, but still be near attractions. Dublin Bay, St Anne's Park, and the Casino at Marino is all within walking distance, and it is just a few minute bus ride to city center.

The rooms were a standard size. The chair was worn and the desktop was damaged, but the room was very clean, had a nice large clawfoot bathtub, and the beds were very comfortable.

Service was excellent at the hotel. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful, especially V Jay, who went out of his way to help us.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your lovely review. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us – it was especially nice to hear how impressed you were with the service of our dedicated staff. I hope you had a truly memorable stay in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again sometime in the near future.
Mark Long

Write a ReviewReviews (4,196)

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Excellent stay, could not have wished for a better start of our Ireland trip.
In combination with Michelin star dinner at Bon Appetit, taxi transfers and delicious breakfast an excellent choice. Would do it again any time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your lovely review. I’m so glad you had such an enjoyable stay with us and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the food. I hope you have a fantastic time in Ireland and I hope we will see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Clontarf Castle Hotel and I wanted to say how helpful the staff were in particular Eric the Concierge who was wonderful , I went to visit my husband who is staying there for six weeks whilst he attends a course in Dublin. So my days were spent alone at the hotel, although I was concerned about this before my arrival my worries were unfounded as Eric made sure that I was taken care of, nothing was too much for him even if it was just a quick chat if he was busy or sorting me out a pot of tea in front of their beautiful open fire place.
The hotel is very beautiful, the food is to a high standard and the are staff friendly and helpful, it is a little way from the town centre but there is no shortage of cabs or buses to take you out and about.
This is a very popular Hotel and it gets very busy at the weekends so booking in the restaurant is a good idea, you know you are staying somewhere that is good when the locals use the bar and the restaurant.
I would without doubt be more than happy to stay there in the future.

2  Thank Alisa45
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I am so glad you had such a lovely stay with us recently and I was delighted to hear how impressed you were with everything from the service to the food. However it was especially nice to hear how Eric our dedicated Concierge looked after you. I hope you had a very memorable stay in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

On our last night in Ireland my son and I decided to try out the Clontarf Castle for a change from the ordinary hotels. The guest rooms themselves are modern, roomy and comfortable but the common areas and the setting and restaurants are unique and provide a great atmosphere. The staff were helpful and attentive. The pub had great food and a great staff. The old castle keep is a focal point for exploring. There are these really neat nooks and crannies all over the place. The history of this area relates back to the times of Brian Boru and includes tales of the Knights Templar. The whole experience was well worth it. The one thing they could improve on is the workout facility but other than that I doubt very much that you'll be disappointed with your stay here. One thing, I wouldn't think you'd want to stay here if you intended to visit attractions in central Dublin, it is remote from there.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank JamesII
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review, I am so glad you had such a lovely time staying with us recently. I was especially delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the atmosphere and food, and how impressed you were with the service of our staff. I hope you had a truly magnificent visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again some time soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Clontarf Castle was a great combination of the old and the new, a modern hotel with the history of an actual Irish castle. And not at all the commercial tourist trap I feared.

We stayed two nights in Dublin -- our first and last nights in Ireland. We chose the more bed and breakfast-type Ariel House the first night, and wanted something completely different for our last night. Clontarf delivered beautifully! And for a good value. The price was about $50 less than we were quoted on Expedia!

Nestled in a neighborhood outside downtown Dublin, the grounds were serene. Parking was ample (and free) with ready access to cabs or mass transit (a short walk, five minutes or so, we were told). The castle was beautiful -- and real! The hotel itself is quite modern. Our room was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was quite large and had one of the better showers were saw during our seven-day trip. The modern decor was in contrast to the castle, but it worked well and we liked it, especially the unexpected lights in the headboard (pink colored light blocks that looked quite chic). Overall a very satisfying experience. I wish we'd had more time to spend at the hotel exploring (we didn't get to visit the restaurant, bar or castle lounge, but all three looked comfortable and interesting).

1  Thank JessStephen
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review. I am so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us recently. I was especially delighted to hear how impressive you found the décor of our hotel, the location and your room. It is a pity you didn’t get to experience our bar & restaurant as I am sure you would have enjoyed them both. I hope you had a fantastic visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again in the near future.