“Great hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“Great hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My mother, 9yr old daughter and I stayed here for one night in Feb 2012. Castle is absolutely gorgeous. My daughter loved it. The concierge, Eric went out of his way to help us in every way. He set up a fun night of Irish dancing and music in Temple Bar area, and even called ahead to notify them that my daughter was coming and is an Irish dancer who just won 1st place at All Irelands. He went even further the next day and assisted me on getting a rental car. Exceptional service thanks to Eric. Breakfast was good, typical Irish breakfast. All staff very friendly. I would definitely stay here again. :-)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Beth D
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review. I’m so glad you had such a lovely time with us and that our dedicate concierge Eric looked after you and could assist you with your needs. I hope you had a terrific stay with us and I do hope we get a chance to welcome you back again soon.
Yours sincerely
Nice Stay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

we stayed for 1 night on 14th feb, everything was wonderful we stayed in a very large spacious room, the food in the restaurant was gorgeous and the staff were very helpful. I will definetly stay in clontarf castle again and would highly recommend it to friends.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review. I’m so glad you had a wonderful Valentine’s stay with us and that you very much enjoyed your room, the food and the service of our dedicated staff. I do hope we get a chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

An absolute Gem. What an incredibly imposing entrance to the grounds, not to be disappointed by the incredible combination of old castle and modern architecture entrance.

A step through the doors and you find yourself in an era of yesteryear, with suits of armour welcoming you, further along into the lobby, a lovely huge warming fireplace resplendent against the original stonework of the castle, complete with Juliet balcony. Adjacent to that in the centre of the lobby is a massive steel sculpture, reaching up to the heavens and the glass ceiling.

The rooms on the other hand, are modern, well equipped and clean. Totally different to what one would expect looking at the outside of the building.

The bed was large, comfortable and spotless. All cons expected such as,minibar, tea/coffee making facilities and toiletries are welcomed.

The Knights bar was popular, well attended and a great atmosphere. Service was good and the staff helpful.

Service was very good with the reception standing out above all. Having checked in the previous evening, when checking out was greeted by name, by the reception clerk. A surprise these days when one appears to be nothing more than a number! Nice touch.

I will be coming back to Dublin and will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for the wonderful review. I was delighted to hear how wonderful a time you had staying with us recently. I’m glad you were so impressed with everything from the architecture & décor of the hotel to your room & amenities and atmosphere in Knight’s Bar. I’m also delighted to hear how our dedicated staff members could look after you. I hope you had a fantastic stay in Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle on your next visit.
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I like this hotel, its location, history and style are great. staff very professional with quick check in and check out, few things ! internet at a crazy price of €9.00 per hour! not having wifi in a hotel room in 2012 is strange as you can only connect with erthnet cable. (if mad enough to pay fee) . food in knights bar ok, but lacks presentation, tv in our room was at a strange angle , with our bed in the middle of room but tv in a corner unit facing the bathroom and unadjustable. our room a delux, had a window that overlooked a blank wall 4 ft away with no view of anything which is a pity. rooms very clean, coffee tea making, mini bar, etc as expected, good free parking, so all in all good, with nothing to complain about, but felt hotel was not really that great value for prices charged.

Room Tip: ask for room with view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Seabirdfly
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review. I’m glad you had a nice stay with us and were impressed with our staff and your room. We actually offer 25mb free wifi to all our guests in the hotel, the €9 charge would have been for 24 hour access to our complete entertainment system i.e. music albums, movie channels, sports channels etc. I glad you had an enjoyable time with us and I do hope to welcome you back again sometime.
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had stayed here a few years ago and had wonderful memories of the superior standards in such a wonderful property. For this reason, I booked this trip as a late Valentines as my girlfriend and I were flying back into Dublin after a series of long flights.
We checked in smoothly to our "deluxe" room which was small but comfortable. Not sure what size the standard room would be but couldn't imagine it could be much smaller than the one we were in! The bed was large and very comfortable and the room facilities were what you would expect from a four star standard hotel.
We went to the bar for tea and a pint and while it was not overly busy there were a lot of uncleared tables and the two bar staff on duty were clearly under pressure. Our order was taken after a five minute wait and dropped down to our table after another five minutes even though I had offered to take it down from the counter myself. In the meantime two managers had walked through the bar, one doing a till read and one for a walk-through. As a Hotel Manager myself I was very disappointed that they did not assist the staff in any way and even had a nice conversation amongst themselves while reading the till - and we could clearly overhear from our table that it was not a work related!
Our room safe had been locked on arrival and we had asked for this to be opened around 4pm when we had gone to the bar as we had wanted to lock away our passports and other travel documents, etc. but this had not been done when we returned to our room at 5.30. We were both tired after our early morning flight from Dubai so went to bed. I pressed the DND on the phone but forgot to put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. Shorly after 8pm I was surpised to hear the phone ringing but was in such a heavy sleep I did not get to it before it stopped ringing. Minutes later I had to answer a knock at the door from a duty manager offering to open the safe. I was not amused that we had been woken for something that we had requested four hours earlier or indeed that the "Do Not Disturb" button obviously does not work on the phone system.
After a very pleasant nights sleep and a lovely hot shower the following morning I felt rejuvenated and went down for breakfast while my girlfriend showered to join me after. I arrived at the breakfast room at 9.30am to find a long queue out the door - an obviously common occourance as there were chairs lining the corridor. I went down to reception and got a paper to read while waiting for a table.
Again when I got to the head of the queue twenty minutes later I was disappointed to be met by an overworked but polite waitress who told me she would seat me shortly. From what I could see there were three staff on duty to serve that morning (not sure what occupancy level was but the girl has 3 pages to look through to find my "room number") which was clearly too few as there were dirty tables everywhere and both hot and cold buffets were badly needing replenishing. Coffee was brought to my table and I was left to fend for myself with an empty juice bar so I just got some cereal and toast for myself. When my girlfriend joined me I felt guilty asking the staff for tea and orange juice as the were even more overwhelmed with the typical last minute rush at 10am when breakfast finishes!
We returned to our room to find our keycards were not working so had to wait while reception sent up another one as the housekeeper did not have one. This was obviously a probem that morning as another couple in our corridor were also waiting to get let in. I was disappointed to be told by the lady who let us in that we must have demagnetised our room keys! I work with these systems so obviously wouldnt leave my key near a magnet - we had hardly left the room to expose them to anything anyway - and they were in the electrical switch or bedside locker while in the room - well away from TV, Laptop, mobilephones, etc.!
When I checked out I was further disappointed not to be asked how my stay was and when I asked was there a Manager I could speak with I was told that the manager on duty was busy. Had I been told he was with someone else or that he would be free in a few minutes, I would have felt that an acceptable response but to be told that he was "busy" implies too busy to deal with customers and a phrase we do not use in the service industry.
As I said at the start, a wonderful property with plenty of history but whose standards are being chipped away by staff levels and lack of proper training in dealing with customer queries, etc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple