“Not bad, but could do better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #11 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Ystad, Sweden
“Not bad, but could do better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Me and some friends stayed at the Westin Dublin Hotel february 2012. When checking in we were asked if we wanted a bigger room for 30 euros a night. We accepted the offer and got to our room. Spacious room, very comfortable beds and a big bathroom. The view was not what I was expecting, straight into a brick wall and another rooms window. Not more than 4 meters to the other rooms windows.
We decided to take a quick shower and then go out and eat something before dinner. There was a stop in the drain so all the water leaked out on the bathroom floor. Suddenly it started to drip water from a spotlight in the ceiling down into the sink. We called the reception and they told us that they would send someone to fix it right away. We got back to the hotel two hours later and the drain was still not fixed but the dripping had stopped from the ceiling. We called the reception once again and they promised us once more to fix it. We went out for dinner and when we got back at night the stop in the drain was fixed and they couldn't find a leak in the ceiling.
After some trouble getting to sleep at approximately 2 am some drunk person in the bar in the basement pressed the fire alarm button. Through speakers we were told to evacuate the hotel. We ran down the stairs. In the reception we were told it was a false alarm. It's not the easiest thing, to calm down at 2 am after running the stairs. At 3.30 am i finally got back so sleep.

Then the safety box started to fail on us. We were on our way out and the rest of our company waited for us down in the lobby. The safety box then decided not to open. It just said call securi1. So we called the reception and they told us that they would send someone to our room immediately. After 20 minutes a security guy came to our room and opened our box. We locked it and ran downstairs were the rest of our company had been waiting for us in 25 minutes.
Same thing happened three times more. The last two times I was not very polite and it only took 5-10 minutes for the security guy to come to our room. But still, it's not something that you want. Have to call the reception every time you want to get into your safety box.
The last time the security girl who tried to open the box failed so she had to ring for some extra help. I was so angry!
When do need to get in to the safety box? Yes, just before you leave the room. So every time our box failed on us we had to wait for the security guy to come to our room and open it. While he was opening the box the rest of our company were waiting for us down in the lobby.

When checking out I told them that I was not paying 30 euros extra per night which they accepted. I still think they got away quite easy comparing all the problems we had at our stay.

If our room worked properly, it would have been a great stay at a great hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms with a view inside the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Jesper R,

Thank you sincerely for posting your review and for taking the time to do so.

However, I am very unhappy that your stay was not satisfactory.

I would be very happy to discuss this further with you.

Please do contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further I would be happy to assist.

Andrew Henning
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Riverside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The concierge staff was spot on with every recommendation and extremely helpful. Daragh was our primary source for info and reservations. He did spectacularly well steering us to the best events and best use of time and money! The rest of the experience was 4-stars. As a platinum member, I usually get a much nicer room and they were still being advertised as available during check-in. The food is pricey and not worth the extra fee considering better restaurants are literally across the street for much less. Everyone was terrificly friendly so I really have no other complaints other than it was just not 5-stars in my experience.

Room Tip: if you are a VIP, dont expect an upgrade... I should have asked and it might have been given.
1 Thank Kauai-Biz-Traveler
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear jai-Biz-Traveler,

Thank you for your taking the time to post your review.

I am happy our concierge staff were able to assist you effectively while you stayed with us.

However, I am dissapointed to hear you recieved a room which you were unhappy with. Please be assured that Platinmum members should be given the best available room. I do hope we can assist you with this the next time you visit us.

Andrew Henning
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was a surprise weekend break for my birthday. So going to Dublin was brilliant and topped off by staying in this fabulous city centre hotel. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, swift checkin and we were shown to our room. We were on the 4th floor with a stunning view across Dublin's old roof tops and chimney pots, looking down Pearse Street with Trinity College to the right of our window. A beautifully laid out room with an extremely comfortable bed. The Bathroom was fitted with a generous sized shower and separate bath tub. White fluffy towels and very nice amenities.
The location is perfect too. Just minutes form both the major shopping districts North and South of the Liffey. It was also within walking distance of the great Dublin night life.I couldn't recommend this hotel more. The Westin Dublin lives up to the Brand's high standards in luxury hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms looking inwards if you're looking for a view.
Dear juliana74,

Thank you kindly for posting your review.

I am happy your stay was conveniant and suited your travel purposes while you visited Dublin City Centre.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

County Meath, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Being from Dublin my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to an overnight stay in a 5* Hotel as we were booked into Chapter One Restaurant for an evening meal and decided to make a day/night of it. Peter, the doorman, looked after our car and luggage and we were in our room within minutes which was great to have extra time to get out into the city and explore. Our room was adequate if a bit small. It was an 'internal' room so we had no road noise by ambulance/police vehicles. Our room looked into a beautiful Atrium housing a cafe/restaurant. We returned from our meal and headed into the Mint bar to try out a cocktail or two which didn't disappoint. It was extremely busy and lively with a band playing and the staff although few were serving people with no delay but had no time to chat to guests. There was a great buzz about the place and we headed up at 2am very merry. Next morning after a wonderful nights sleep we checked out and within minutes of doing so my car was brought around and parked outside for our short trip home. Overall we were delighted to of chosen the Westin over other hotels in the area like The Shelbourne or The Wesbury and would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: Room 126 (internal room) looks into the Atrium and is very quiet as no road noise but is on the smal...
Dear milltree,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review following your stay at The Westin Dublin.

I am delighted to hear Peter from concierge was helpful in assisting you with your luggage and check in, I will pas this message on to him.

Overall, I am happy you had a renewing stay at The Westin Dublin,

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Westin is the second hotel from the Starwood group that I have stayed in (the other being the Sheraton in Sydney). It doesn't disappoint!

Welcomed at the door, we had a completely hassle free check-in, and a choice of room - either a view of Trinity College, or a more spacious room. we opted for the spacious room - and still had a nice view.

we ate lunch in the bar in the basement - delicious food, friendly service, and nice atmosphere.

The beds were a tiny bit firm for my liking, but I still had a great nights sleep - very quiet, and a great powerful shower in the morning.

The location is perfect - right beside Trinity College, and across from the Temple Bar area. I can't imagine a better location for a weekend exploration of Dublin.

Dear TheoJones,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review following your stay at The Westin Dublin.

I am delighted to hear that your stay was efficient, hassle-free and one of which you could take advantage of the great views of Dublin City Centre.

I hope I can welcome you back to our hotel soon.