“Perfect Location - Bring Your Walking Shoes! - Friendly & Responsive Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Dublin

The Westin Dublin
Ranked #11 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
New York City, New York
“Perfect Location – Bring Your Walking Shoes! – Friendly & Responsive Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

As I first time visitor to Dublin I would agree with all the positive reviews of the Westin Dublin. The location is perfect – directly across the street from Trinity (make sure you see the Book of Kells!), or cross the street and walk up Fleet street for numerous bars & restaurants. We found the Palace Bar to be a wonderful place to sample an array of Irish whiskeys. Grafton street is a short walk – it is much more ‘touristy’, but still a pleasant place to walk. I was in Dublin for a conference at the Convention Centre which gave me the opportunity for a daily morning and late afternoon walk along the river to and from the Centre.
The hotel itself is great – we upgraded to a Deluxe room which gave us a view of Westmoreland street. The room was very quiet, we were able to have a street view without any disturbing street noise. Special shout out to Michael (concierge) – he was very knowledge and helpful with activity planning and advice, as well as practical information (we needed to purchase inexpensive Pay-as-You-Go GSM phone).

My overall impression of Dublin is that is much less ‘Disney-fied’ than many tourist destinations. While tourism is obviously an important part of the local economy, as I visitor I felt more that I was welcomed into an existing community, rather than dropped into an ‘experience’ created for tourists.

Tip: Please be advised that Dublin is not a 24x7 city. It can be difficult to find a restaurant that serves after 9 pm during the week and most convenience stores close by midnight (?) and do not re-open until 7 am.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MCtraveler1200
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear MCtraveler1200,

Thank you for posting your positive review following your stay with The Westin Dublin. We are very proud of our central location here in Dublin City Centre and I am delighted you could take full advantage of this.

I am happy your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff I will be sure to pass on this message to Michael.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Bay Area, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed in the Westin Dublin for 8 days this past February, and had a very grand time. I checked in at 3PM on a Saturday and per some TripAdvisor traveler tips, I made sure to request a room overlooking Trinity College so that I could avoid noise from the Atrium. Luckily the staff was able to accommodate my request. This put my room in a nice location on the third floor, with a nice view, and I didn't have any problem with noise during my stay. That said, the hotel seems less busy in February, so things may be noisier in the summer months.

I didn't spend too much time in my room, but it suited my needs. The bedroom area is small and a little worn in places, but I found the closet space to be ample. By contrast, the bathroom is huge, modern and bright--and I really appreciated being able to take a long bath after walking around in the cold Dublin rain. The room included amenities such as a coffee maker, hot water maker, phones, hair dryer, iron/ironing board, flatscreen tv, alarm clock, bathrobe, thermostat, bathtub/shower, makeup mirror and safe (which was large enough to fit my 15" laptop). Most importantly it had the standard Westin heavenly bed...I thank that thing for helping me get over jet lag!

The service was great; housekeeping was prompt and the concierge answered all of my questions. They helped me get cabs that took credit cards, and even loaned me a US > UK adapter for the outlets. The breakfast service, although sometimes understaffed, was prompt once seated and I really loved the breakfast buffet!

Overall, here's my breakdown:

PROS
- Westin Heavenly Bed
- Prompt housekeeping and concierge
- Well located property--right next to Trinity College, Temple Bar and very walkable to most tour bus pickups
- Clean, large, well-lit bathroom with bathtub (the hotel is near a Lush store if you need to stock up!)
- Flatscreen TV and coffee/tea maker
- Bathrobe
- Quiet rooms
- Safe fits laptop
- Blackout curtains
- Windows open (some rooms)
- Breakfast buffet is very nice. Get it included in your room rate if you can.
- Gym was cleaned and restocked often

CONS
- The gym was a little small, and quickly gets crowded. No windows.
- Cost for internet per night is very high at 15 EURO. Try to purchase the 4-night deal (4 for 40 EURO) to decrease this a bit.
- Although there are signs that indicate a Gift Shop is on site, it doesn't exist.

TIPS
- You can earn a 5 EURO voucher for every day that you decline housekeeping. A good way to earn a drink or two in the Atrium!
- With the exception of a 24 hour 7 Eleven-type store down the street, nothing seems to be open before 7AM in Dublin. This is important if you are looking for breakfast before an early tour.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank fluff_astrid
Dear fluff_astrid,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I am delighted that your basic needs were met. However, at The Westin we strive to exceed our guest’s needs.

In terms of the rooms; I regret to hear your room was small and worn in places. However, the rooms in our hotel are currently being refurbished.

Overall, I am happy you had a nice stay with us and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Fantastic hotel, centrally located with lovely rooms and elegant public rooms. Service is impeccable and the staff could not be more helpful. Only ate breakfast and lunch in the hotel but the food was delicious and the Atrium Bar is a relaxing place to eat.
All the staff on reception were extremely efficient and and Michael ( Concierge ) was particularly attentive - giving us lots of tips on how best to utilise our time in Dublin. We particularly enjoyed our visit to the Guinness Storehouse - use the hop on - hop off tourist bus to see the sights. In the evening Temple Bar is very lively and the live music and Irish dancing in Gogarty's is a treat.The people of Dublin are what makes a trip here so special - they are kind and welcoming and made our visit truly memorable.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top (fifth) floor and had great views over the city. There was even a patio with...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan F
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Susan F,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay at The Westin Dublin. Thank you for your kind comments on our staff, I will be sure to pass this on to them.

I am happy your stay was comfortable and met your needs as you visited Dublin City Centre.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Dublin.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed here a few days for business recently and it was outstanding all around. Have stayed at the Conrad Dublin down the street (also very good) but found the Westin to be slightly more elegant and the location very good. Staff was very helpful. Rooms very comfortable. Nice bar in the cellar (although you are in Dublin and need to take in the town, right?). We walked to any number of outstanding restaurants and bars near the hotel. Room service fine. Etc. Would highly recommend for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ronneedham
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear ronneedham,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review following your stay with us.
I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you were able to take advantage of our central location.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Kind Regards,

Saugerties, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Finding great airfare and the Westin in the center of Dublin made for a great long weekend. The hotel was elegant and had a great central location. Across the street was the famous Temple Bar area. All the attractions (Jameson Factory, Guinness Factory, The Jail, The Dublin Castle, Trinity College and much more) were all easily accessible from a walk through the streets or using the great local transportation. The hotel was convenient and hospitable. I would recommend this location.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tiberius52367
TheWestin, General Manager at The Westin Dublin, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear tiberius52367,

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us, I greatly appreciate it. It's great to hear that you had the opportunity to fully enjoy our central location in Dublin City Centre.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Dublin soon.

Kind Regards,